Start by marking “Wild Moments: Reveling in Nature's Signs, Songs, Cycles, and Curious Creatures” as Want to Read:
Wild Moments: Reveling in Nature's Signs, Songs, Cycles, and Curious Creatures

Wild Moments: Reveling in Nature's Signs, Songs, Cycles, and Curious Creatures

For more than 30 years Ted Williams has been hailed as one of the foremost nature writers in the United States. Wild Moments is a collection of Williams's beautifully crafted seasonal observation columns complemented by the illustrations of award-winning artist John Burgoyne.

Williams explains the weather conditions that bring out the brightest reds in autumn leaves, when
Published November 11th 2010 by Storey Publishing (first published January 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Moments

Start your review of Wild Moments: Reveling in Nature's Signs, Songs, Cycles, and Curious Creatures
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This forthcoming book condenses and gathers some of the natural history writing Ted Williams has done for Audubon over the years, joined with gorgeous illustrations by John Burgoyne (also known for his Cooks Illustrated covers.) The micro essays are organized by season. Now I feel more confident about my swamp adventures, since I can now identify an alligator nest!

The publisher provided me a copy through NetGalley; this comes out September 29, 2020.
Bonnie DeMoss
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, this book describes the plants, animals, insects, and inhabitants of the earth in a way that is both poetic and educational. Divided into seasons, the Earth Almanac tells in beautiful detail many interesting facts about the plants and creatures you might encounter during each season. If love animals, plants, or just love good writing, you will love this book.

I received a free copy of this book from Storey Publishing and Netgalley. My review is voluntary.
Nursebookie
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!

This book is a beautifully written gift for any reader who wants to learn and be more inspired by our surroundings and the beauty and miracle of nature.

Ted Williams’ brilliance is how he captures intimate details of plants and the creatures that inhabit the earth - you will learn a lot and the information in the book will leave you in awe of what we miss in nature that we have never took time to notice, see it pay attention to.

This book is best read and enjoyed slowly over
Max
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, biology
This is so amazing! I must admit the front cover really drew me in, and it did not disappoint.

This book describes natural things, divided in the four seasons. Trademark events are explained for plants and birds. The information is interesting, well-researched and detailed, but not so much that you feel like you're reading a scientific article.

The illustrations/drawings are just amazing! They are so lively and life-like.

This is not a book you read in one go - the information gets lost if you tr
Beas Chattaraj
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you spent a lot of time outdoors, watching birds fly by, squirrels run up and down tree branches or vines growing around pillars or weeds growing on untamed meadows? Have you marvelled at the natural world around you and sought peace and quiet away from the din of the everyday human lives? If yes, this is for you.
Earth Almanac is a sort of a nature guide in the form of a collection of small essays. Filled with beautiful illustrations, and coloured pages according to the four seasons it is d
Jammin Jenny
I thought this was a well written book about the various flora and fauna through the seasons. Nice pictures supported the author's narrative about the plants and animals he saw during this travels. ...more
Alicia Bayer
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will be a treasure for nature lovers. Divided into the four seasons, Williams offers interesting and poetic looks at all kinds of animals, birds, plants and other aspects of wildlife as they occur through the year. Beautiful artwork accompanies some of the entries. This would make a wonderful book to open each morning while enjoying a cup of tea on the deck or by the window before starting the day. It will also be a great addition to any nature study library. It took me forever to revi ...more
Ann
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book. Not only the illustrations but the content. Divided into 4 seasonal chapters this covers everything from nature in your back yard or traveling to exotic places. A wonderful gift for yourself or any nature lover you know. There are tidbits from tree color to spiders and deer. A little something for everyone. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair an honest review.
Jilly
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, ng
A gift to be treasured by anyone interested in nature. This beautiful book written chronologically through the seasons, by Ted Williams, is a book to enjoy and re-read. He is erudite and his respect for nature shines through. Based on his experiences in the north eastern area of the United States, his observations are insightful and very interesting. The illustrations are captivating. Thank you to Ted Williams, Net Galley and the publisher, Storey Publishing for an ARC.
Paul
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book put together with obvious care organized by season with great descriptions and beautiful illustrations. Every detail is attended to -- color, font, design and layout, art, and the artful language is almost poetic. Highly recommended for nature lovers or those that want a to develop a greater appreciation.

I really appreciate the NetGalley advanced copy for review!!
Lou
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For more than 30 years Ted Williams has been hailed as one of the foremost nature writers in the United States, with articles and columns that appear in a wide range of national magazines--from Fly Rod & Reel to Audubon. His eloquent advocacy for a host of environmental and wildlife conservation issues have won him prestigious awards. From winter candy and spring quackers to summer’s scarlet farewell and autumn reveilles, noted nature writer Ted Williams invites readers along on a year-long imme ...more
Sagan
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me feel warm and hopeful. It was precisely what I needed in 2020.
Kristine
Earth Almanac by Ted Williams is a free NetGalley ebook that I read into early April.

Seasonal paragraph-sized observations of nature from North America framed by extremely detailed sketches of flora and fauna. … Yup, that’s pretty much it.
J
***Actual Star Rating: 3. 75 Stars***

Come explore the wildlife and plants of the North American landscape in an intimate style that allows Americans to finally be proud of what we have to contribute to the natural world. Although not a completely detailed nor in-depth look of all that we have to share, this book will introduce readers throughout the seasons to those organisms that we are either quite familiar with, that we know by sight but nothing us or even to those that we wouldn't have eve
C. S.
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming book that you can dip in and out of at your leisure. It covers all the seasons and has an entry for every occasion. It's full of facts that range from OMG I didn't know that! to interesting to soothing, and males a good case for conservation just by presenting these plants and animals in such neat little profiles. The illustrations were also lovely.

A very cozy sort of book to curl up with while sipping your morning tea or coffee.
Denice Langley
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We recently moved to a farm and have been eagerly learning the seasonal differences in our surroundings. Earth Almanac tracks those differences with lovely illustration and narration from a man who obviously loves being outdoors, no matter the season. I spent several hours browsing this book and I'm setting it next to my window seat so I can compare Ted Williams' visions with mine. ...more
Beth Williams
May 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Daddy's book- Collection of Earth Almanac essays from Audubon magazine ...more
Donna
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Ted's writing about every aspect of nature..entertaining, enlightening, full of humor and descriptions not easily forgotten. ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Earth Almanac, Ted Williams

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: non fiction, outdoors and nature

I love books like this and even though its about US nature and I'm in UK, it doesn't matter, there are parallels and I found it easy to enjoy Ted's wonderful way of telling about what he sees. There are quirky little illustrations that added to the story, and I loved the way it followed the seasons, each leading naturally to the next.
I've loved nature and outdoors all my life, my early years
Geric
First of all, thank you to Goodreads, Storey Publishing and author Ted Williams for this delightful giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I am humbly grateful.

I'm actually embarrassed that it took me so long to review this book. This was my first physical giveaway copy that I won from Goodreads, and as with all good intentions, they fall by the wayside until you rediscover it. Well, I'm glad I did.

Although I'm not an outdoorsy person at all, I'm interested and intrigued by it. And the autho
Susan Beckhorn
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will want to shelve it beside your copies of Walden, Sand County Almanac, and Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. Ted’s Williams’s new book Earth Almanac, A Year of Witnessing the Wild, from the Call of the Loon to the Journey of the Gray Whale, is a compilation of his beloved glimpses into wild wonders from backyard to backcountry which appeared regularly for a time in Audubon Magazine. It is a rare species of book best sipped, savored, and reflected on in crystalline doses. Open it beside a cozy wint ...more
Amanda Lavelle
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for kindly providing me with a digital copy of this book for review.
I’ll be honest, living in the U.K., I’m not going to be able to use this book in the way that it suggests- as a guide for when you step out into North American nature throughout the seasons. I’m just not going to be seeing the same things (although I have learned that the UK does have some wild Siberian Chipmunks, which I didn’t know were a thing here so there’s that!) However, for an
Amanda Lavelle
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erica Robbin
FTC disclosure: I would like to thank Storey Publishing for providing me with an advance reader copy via access to the galley for free through the NetGalley program.

This was such a relaxing read that gave me a sort of feeling of gratitude and peace. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially nature lovers and anyone looking to unwind and learn a bit about plants, insects, and animals in the process.

The cover and title drew me in, piquing my interest by bringing back memories of reading the Farmer’s
Micha Sevier
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short, seasonal essays, explores a wide selection of the flora and fauna of North America.

The essays are beautifully written, mixing amazing facts with poignant observations. There are many more types of plant and animal in America than I ever realised, and as different species are found in different parts of the vast continent, this is a fascinating book for Americans and non-Americans alike. I enjoyed the lyrical descriptions of plants, trees and various creatures and their
Michelle
Earth Almanac is an outdoors and nature book by author Ted Williams.

First, I must say I love the illustrations on the cover and inside the book. This is my first time reading this genre and I loved my introduction to it. This is one book I’ll reread again and again as the seasons change. Earth Almanac was originally named Earth Calendar.

It was interesting to learn that with all the negative talk floating around about the earth there is a lot of positive happening because people care. Maybe, more
Annie
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Earth Almanac is a fascinating and engaging glimpse into an environmentalist's observations recorded over the course of a year by Ted Williams. Due out 29th Sept 2020 from Storey Publishing, it's 256 pages and will be available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats.

The book is full of unadorned small vignettes full of observations about nature, wildlife, and plants. The author's recollections are grouped roughly by season: winter, spring, summer,
Alfi
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, the cover caught my attention because I like the illustrations and the fonts on the cover. But I have no idea what this book about. (Well, I only could guess this is something about nature) So I dug in and I found something new. This book is not my typical kind of book I usually read. Thank you Storey Publishing for allowing me to read this book and experienced something new.

If you want to read this book, I suggest finding somewhere quiet and calm so you can really imagine what's in t
Mellissa Bushby
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. It is full of interesting bits of info, the illustrations are beautiful, and it is a gentle and informative insight into the natural world, something that is sorely lacking today.

I gobble up nature books and have read far more than my fair share of them, and this is one of those that stands out. And that is despite living in the Southern hemisphere! The antics of plants, animals, insects and birds are chronicled in charming and poetic writing, divided up into the
Book Snuggery
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s a kind of poetry to each passage, as it pulls us through this moment in nature and illuminates the shadows.

Easily a perfect gift for the nature loving outdoorsy type in your life be they hippie or hunter.

Nature vignettes, moments across the year from winter to summer. The perfect sort of book for picking up and flipping through as there isn’t necessarily any chronology here (aside from seasons). Each passage is short, the longest being a few pages and reflections on everything from the
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Multiple Entrees, Incorrect subtitle 4 17 Jan 27, 2020 12:53PM

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Body Language of Politics: Decide Who is Lying, Who is Sincere, and How You'll Vote
  • The Art of Looking Up
  • Garden Sanctuary: Designing for Comfort, Wholeness and Connection
  • The Right Kind of Crazy: Navy SEAL, Covert Operative, and Boy Scout from Hell
  • The Lifespan of a Fact
  • My Name is Markham (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7.6)
  • Bones: Inside and Out
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy #1)
  • Owls of the Eastern Ice: A Quest to Find and Save the World's Largest Owl
  • How to Give Up Plastic: A Guide to Changing the World, One Plastic Bottle at a Time
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Game of Snipers
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • American Panda
  • Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel
  • Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)

News & Interviews