Start by marking “The Sniffles for Bear” as Want to Read:
The Sniffles for Bear

The Sniffles for Bear (Bear and Mouse)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  562 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
The relentlessly cheery Mouse pushes a cold-suffering Bear to new heights of melodrama in a hilarious new adventure starring the unlikely pair.

Bear has a terrible cold. In fact, Bear is quite sure that no one has ever been as sick as he is. So when Mouse comes tap, tap, tapping on his front door eager to make Bear "as good as new" by reading a sunny story, singing a rousin
Published September 13th 2011 by Candlewick

Kristen
Oh Bear and Mouse, how I love your books with their wonderful richness of language.
Bear is sick. "In fact, Bear was quite sure no one had ever been as sick as he."
Mouse tries to make Bear feel better, with a cheerful story, a serenade, banjo music.
"'Stop!' growled Bear. 'I fear you do not appreciate the gravity of my situation.'"
Love!
Mouse finally gets Bear to bed with some soup, and after making a will and whispering farewell, Bear falls asleep. When he wakes, feeling better, Mouse is now sick,
Mary
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"I fear you do not appreciate the gravity of my situation."

How many picture books contain a phrase like that? None. Or "HAVE YOU NO DECENCY!?"

What a drama bear! Filled with more great vocabulary and phrases, priceless illustrations filled with expression, and a lovely story of true friendship, this is another Bear story worth checking out. A bit long and with conversations that may require discussion between reader and listener, this may not be the best for storytime, but perfect for one-on-one
Heidi-Marie
More adorableness with Bear and Mouse. I love these two. This book just begs to be acted out--and I'd love to play either part! Some things (like the will) would be over a preschooler's head, though if acted out well (either by one or two), they would still enjoy it. A great storytime, lap-read, or read-alone for the school-age child. Love the illustrations. Love the bit of a lesson tucked away in there, too. I'm so glad Becker keeps writing these.

10/1/14 Used in my Autumn theme because sometime
Angela
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is dying to be read-aloud. This time as bear's health and tolerance dwindle, he begins to imagine the end, only to bellow, "Have You No Decency?" when mouse asks to inherit the tea kettle.

A worthwhile addition to the Bear and Mouse collection, I find their voices forever instilled in my head. Highly recommended, and just as highly recommended as the Bear and Mouse titles that came before.
Deanna
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
When Bear gets sick his faithful friend Mouse is there to help. Mouse's bed-side manner fails to impress Bear, who believes he is knocking on death's door. Bear's flare for the dramatic is highly entertaining. Kid's will appreciate the story, adults will appreciate it more.
The Library Lady
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Yes, kids can be melodramatic when they're sick. But Bear's version of this: "I may not be long for this world...I grow weaker by the minute" isn't very kid like, nor terribly funny.
Amanda O'Shea
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The most hilarious book I have ever read! I had tears pouring down my face!
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, if not a bit predictable.
Donna Mork
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book on how awful it feels to be sick and how a friend can cheer you up.
Anna
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool-lit
I liked this one, but I liked "A Visitor for Bear" and "A Library Book for Bear" much better, and so did my class. It's hard not to compare books in a series such as these.
David
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, humor, bears
The Sniffles For Bear by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton is the story of a very sick day for Bear and how Mouse helps him feel better.

When Bear is very sick, and feeling melodramatic, cheerful Mouse comes over to cheer up and take care of his friend. Mouse tries reading singing, playing the banjo soup, and writing Bear's will. Bear is sure he's about to die, but finally falls asleep and awakens feeling much better. Mouse, however, is now sick and must go to bed.

The text uses a
Lilac Wolf
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I was so excited when I received this book in the mail. The Andersons bought A Visitor for Bear when CW had his tonsils taken out and it is one of our favorite books now. We checked out A Sleepover for Bear from the library and enjoyed that too. I saw this (due out September 13) I hunted down the publisher.

The Bear books are great at demonstrating how to be a good friend. They show that it takes hard work and determination. It also shows that it's not always perfect. Bea
Mehsi
1.5 stars. A fitting book for this season of cold and rainy weather, but did I like it? Not really. I much preferred the other book I read about this couple of animals.

This isn't the cause of one character, though I have to say that Bear was super annoying, but Mouse was also just frustrating. He did help, and that is a good thing, but sadly he was overly dramatic and if my friend would act like that I would move him out of my house. Caring only for his friends stuff, caring only to annoy the Be
Barbara
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
In this fourth installment featuring Bear and Mouse, Bear is terribly, terribly ill with a bad cold. When Mouse arrives to take care of Bear, Bear grows annoyed at his cheerfulness and his seeming lack of sympathy. After ministering to his friend with soup, Mouse offers to help him make a will which leaves several coveted objects to Mouse. Furious when Mouse seems to be relishing the receipt of those objects including red roller skates and a teakettle, Bear summons the strength to rise from his ...more
Dolly
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
This is another fun story in the Bear and Mouse series by Bonny Becker and Kady MacDonald Denton. The narrative is humorous and the illustrations are as adorable as ever.

I love that the vocabulary in the story is a little challenging for younger children, with words like "gravity, disgraceful, intolerable, and decency."

For some reason, I wasn't inspired to read this book aloud with an British accent as I was with the first story, A Visitor for Bear. And the story just didn't resonate with me li
Ina
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
The soft watercolor illustrations of this book are marvelous. An ill, but overly dramatic, bear is cared for by a somewhat overly cheerful mouse. Mouse tries to make Bear better using some interesting methods: dramatic reading, singing, playing the banjo. Finally, Mouse helps Bear upstairs, makes him a bowl of nettle soup and helps Bear make out his well (remember the phrase overly dramatic?). Bear wakes up feeling well, only to find Mouse is now coming down with his cold. The text is short but ...more
Robyn Jones
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
5 STARS! The Sniffles for Bear written by Bonny Becker and illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton is a funny and heartwarming story about a melodramatic bear getting a cold and his friend mouse coming to his aid. Bear thinks no one has ever been as sick as he is. Mouse thinks a little cheer and company will do the trick. There are a few laugh out loud moments when Bear reacts to Mouse singing and mouse a little too eager to help him with his last will and testament. Poor Bear. Mouse sticks with hi ...more
Martha
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once again in Sniffles for Bear, Mouse comes to the rescue as Bear, the hypochondriac, suffering from the sniffles is sure he's end is near. The banter between Bear and Mouse is precious as Mouse soothes him with a story, a song, then finally "literally" drags Bear up to bed. Before long Mouse is sick and Bear so unappreciative of Mouse's effusive care, lovingly tucks Mouse into bed. The expressive watercolor and ink illustrations are delightful portraying Bear's impatience and Mouse's cheery ea ...more
Margaret Chind
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Candlewick Press
I love Candlewick Press, they always have more and more foxy reading books. While I haven't read the other Bear and Mouse books yet from Becker & Denting, they are now on my list for future reads. This is a very appropriate, on the verge of calm, read for a sick day. With colors of a more pastels hue, this is not filled will brilliant shades that would bring a headache to a sick kiddo (or mama) and that is something else. I appreciate.

Typed from Kindle Fire.

Thanks to Candlewick Press for pro
Amanda Snow
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally published at www.apatchworkofbooks.com

This is the third installment in this adorable series featuring Bear and Mouse. Bear is his usual grumpy self, though he also happens to have a very bad cold, making him even grumpier. Mouse, always overeager in his willingness to help, makes Bear snippier and grouchier, until of course, Mouse starts to feel yucky and the roles are reversed.

These books are always cute and sweet with soft illustrations that make them perfect for bedtime reading. Th
Heidi
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fun addition to the Bear and Mouse series perfect for sharing. The text works well as a read-a-loud providing for lots of expression on the part of the reader. In fact the more expression used the funner the read-a-loud experience will be. Both characters are delightful in their own way, grumpy Bear and cheerful Mouse. A delightful homage to the value of friendship even when things get hard. The illustrations add the perfect touch of humor through body language and facial expressions. Highly r ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bear isn’t just sick; he thinks he is on his last leg. Why, then, isn’t Mouse properly appreciative of the severity of the situation?

Great vocabulary for a read aloud. Who wouldn’t love the sight of tiny Mouse dragging enormous Bear up the stairs?! Very, very funny!

“’Nettle soup,’ Mouse said.
‘I made it myself.’

Bear sipped cautiously. It was hot and tasted a bit like spinach and straw. Bear rather liked it. Bear’s eyes began to close. ‘Better?’ inquired Mouse.

Bear’s eyes snapped open.
‘Certainly n
Matthew
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bear is sick and a complete hypochondriac, and of course Mouse is around to help him through it. Bear is fairly certain that he's dying and that there's no hope for him. Mouse is incredibly patient with him throughout the whole experience, even going so far as to agree to take dictation of Bear's will. Of course, this odd couple dynamic is hilarious throughout. My wife and I read this together and had to stop reading several times just to get control of our laughter. Really a good book. Great re ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Poor Bear has a cold. He believes he's on death's doorstep. Luckily for him, Dr. Mouse is on call. Mouse refuses to let Bear sink into depression on top of his cold.

What I thought: I loved it! Bear and Mouse continue to delight me. In this adventure, the contrast between the friends' outlooks is magnified. Bear making a will put me in mind of Amy from Little Women. The illustrations are great as usual. My favorites are Bear when Mouse comes in, Mouse helping Bear to bed, and Mouse sick in bed.

St
Erin Buhr
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read aloud full of contrasts, animated characters, and relateable emotions. Bear has a cold and he's pretty sure it is the end of the world. Or at least the end of him. His friend Mouse comes over to cheer him up with stories and songs, but everything seems to make him crabbier. Finally he snuggles in for a nap and when he wakes up he feels much better, but poor Mouse has caught the cold. The pages are filled with soft, cozy illustrations that make you want to snuggle under a blank ...more
Julie Esanu
Bear and Mouse are back! Bear has a cold, and, in his typically exaggerated style, feels that he's at death's door. As always, bright-eyed Mouse is ready to lend a hand and tries to nurse (and coax) Bear back to good health and spirits. Mouse and Bear are the Felix and Oscar of children's books. Bonnie Becker's fun stories of friendship, combined with Kady McDonald Denton's lovely illustrations, instantly hook readers.
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I haven't really run across that many picture books that are about having a cold and this one takes a humorous approach that had me laughing out loud. The bear who is sick is making a dramatic big deal about having a cold (sounds like a few people I know), and his friend Mouse is trying to put a positive spin on things until he "finally understands the gravity of the situation" and helps Bear write his will.
Kate Hastings
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Grades 2-5. Does Bear remind anyone else of their husband when he's sick. *smirk* (Note: glad husband does not subscribe to goodreads). Anyhow, this is a very funny book about Mouse trying to make Bear feel better and Bear getting more and more dramatic to the point where he is rattling off his last will and testament. Young children would enjoy the pictures, but older students will appreciate the humor.
Melanie
Bear has a cold. His friend Mouse is determined to help him feel better. When reading him a story doesn't help Mouse tries strumming his banjo and singing a song. That doesn't work either. Time for soup. Mouse makes Bear some soup. After the soup Bear begins to nod off to sleep. Although he seems to think he's dying and has Mouse draw up a will. Of course, after a bit, Bear wakes up and feels much better. Mouse, however, not so good. Bear tucks Mouse into bed and leaves him snug to sleep.
Tam
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think the "Bear" books are cute but I have a hard time reading them to my 4-year-old.

I feel like I'm constantly stopping to explain things to him. For example, Bear has a cold and when Mouse came to read him a happy story, Bear growled, "I fear you do not appreciate the gravity of my situation." The other expressions were: weaker by the moment, when someone is dreadfully ill you sing mournful songs, intolerable, make a will, have you no decency, flicker before the dark.

• A Dog Is a Dog
  • Squish Rabbit
  • You Will Be My Friend!
  • Argus
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
  • Blue Chicken
  • Bear in Love
  • Mustache!
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Melvin and the Boy
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • I'm a Shark
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Llama Llama Home with Mama
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.
More about Bonny Becker...

Bear and Mouse (6 books)
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • A Library Book for Bear