Start by marking “The Sleeping Giant: A Tale from Kaua'i” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping Giant: A Tale from Kaua'i

The Sleeping Giant: A Tale from Kaua'i

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  8 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Sleeping Giant is a tale explaining the existence of the mountain Nounou on the island of Kauai that looks like the outstretched body of a sleeping giant. An enchanted fish is caught by a fisherman on the island of Kauai. To all the villagers' surprise, the fish grows and grows, his scales fall, his fins turn into arms and legs, and he becomes a giant. Hungry, the ...more
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2006 by Beachhouse Pub.

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping Giant

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Sleeping Giant: A Tale from Kaua'i
Marissa Pezzullo
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore
This Tale gives a magnificent story about how the mountains of Kaua'i in Hawaii were formed. In the book the person started as a fish was sad and ate Poi. The fish then grew into a man who then kept growing bigger and bigger. once it found happiness it laid down to sleep and never woke again. Eventually dirt, grass, and rock formed a mountain. This would be a great book to have in my classroom library because i enjoyed reading about this folk tale.
Simone
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite places is Kauai --when a friend of mine mentioned the release of this book for children (and adults too!) I had to get it.
It's a wonderful tale about this mountain in Kauai called Nounou and beautifuly illustrated by artist Edna Moran- I love it and it's sitting on my coffee table!
Kelly Powell
This book was not one of my favorites books to read but it was a new tale that I had never heard before. I like to learn about other cultures and their beliefs or tales so I decided to read this book from Kauai. The pictures in this book were also not my favorite because they were more rounded and I appreciate more realistic illustrations.
Natalie Weber
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: culture
This was a great story for learning about old tales that are handed down in villages. I think it would work well also for teaching about an island lifestyle.
Kathleen Fain
Rossa Sung
Nov 17, 2018
Heather Sokei
May 03, 2019
Edna has lived in the DC area, Iceland, California and Hawai'i. When she's not writing or painting, Edna enjoys dancing hula, soccer and traveling with her family.

News & Interviews