Start by marking “Dancing in the Light” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Light

Dancing in the Light

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,911 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Now, at a turning point in her life, comes her  most revealing and exciting book yet. Outspoken,  controversial, talented, and perceptive Shirley  MacLaine now takes us on an intimate and fascinating  personal odyssey. In 1984 she won an Oscar, starred  on Broadway, wrote the best-selling Out on  a Limb -- and turned fifty years old. At  this special time, in this special ...more
Published October 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Light

Köksal Kök

Akaşa Yayınları,
448 s.
İstanbul, 2002.
ISBN : 9756793466

deneyinmlerini bizlerle paylaştığı ve küresel bilincin, kollektif bilincin yükselmesine yardım ve katkı yaptığı için, yazara binlerce teşekkür.
Dar Hosanna
Feb 29, 2016 marked it as no-plan-to-read
is it fair to say that this is just another ex star wanting more five seconds of fame?! :'(like farrah Fawcett and ass cancer on 24/7 making a personal diary of her loser extra husband and her fame hungry best friend lana Stewart? on camera feeling her head with false endearments.I feel for her sort of,farrah Fawcett I mean and her son.But Ryan is a happy bum.And leathery looking.So to say the least,I hope the book is well written,I should read it so I can give an actual review.I like being prov ...more
Victoria
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is Shirley's 4th book that she has written.

The first part is Shirley turning 50 and conversations with her mother and father about her new found spirituality/New Age beliefs. This part was slow going and I guess I found it boring because a lot of the information is something I have know about for years.

The 2nd part of the book and for me the most interesting is Shirley telling her parents about how she met and began a love affair with a Russian named Vassey. Turns out he was a producer/dir
Jean Marie Angelo
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
For a time in her career, Shirley McClain was more known for her spiritual beliefs and experiences than for her fabulous acting. She is one great actress, you must admit. I received this book as a perk for attending a publishing convention in the 1980s. She was one of the keynote speakers and her mission was to drum up interest so that the distributors would give her prominent promotion. It was quite a sight watching her lead a bunch of magazine and book wholesalers through a guided chakra medit ...more
Cary
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone curious . . .
A new memoir, a new love-affair - this time with a tormented but visionary Russian film director. The themes of Out on a Limb deepen in this further volume. The book is most notable for chronicling first sessions with Chris Griscom in New Mexico at the Light Institute of Galisteo - the intention being to connect with the 'higher self' (the inner wisdom that our emotions usually block out). This highlight arrives after 300 pages or so, but is very worth the wait. It inspired me on my own visit to ...more
Arja Salafranca
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A further series of karmic adventures from MacLaine - another one I read in my teens, and have felt compelled to return to lately. Her description of a tumultuous relationship with a Russian lover, Vassy, with its resonances from past lives was fascinating to read - as was her "regression" sessions with Chris Griscom, and the descriptions of her parents' karmic patterns. A thoughtful, interesting read that's certainly stood the test of the years.
Herb
I am re-reading the books of Shirley MacLaine ...I have already re-read "Don't Fall off the Mountain," "You Can Get There from Here," and "Out on a Limb" and am looking forward to reading this again. Her books are so interesting and well-written, even if you don't always agree with her philosophies. It's her involvement in life that I find fascinating and I feel sometimes like I'm travelling along with her.
Mary
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and thought provoking read. Glad I picked it up. But a lot of the first two parts could be left out, it was the last part that made it for me. Her visits to the medium/sensitive who uses acupuncture to help her contact and/or lean about past lives. Thank you Shirley for having the courage to write this book.
Bridgette
Dec 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I truly enjoyed this book. She had me thinking outside of the box and introduced a belief that I was unfamiliar with. This book was also very special to me because my friend that gave it to me passed away while I was reading it. The talk about reincarnation comforted me through that tough time of loss.
SJ
Jan 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
I got through about twenty pages of this book before throwing it in the trash in disgust. If it weren't for all of the gushiness and pompous name-dropping, I might have continued slogging through this nearly 400 page tome. This is the first time that I've actually thrown a book in the garbage.
Nancy
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have always been fascinated with Shirley. Even tho I'm reading them out of sequence, I really doesn't matter. They can stand alone about what subject or time of life she is in. Very interesting read...
Caro foellmer
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beautiful how she questions everything spiritual and brings you closer than ever to all of these enormous things. It's written so light and easy, seams like a child could comprehend. Good work Shirley, I'm excited for her new book...
Molly
Jan 07, 2009 is currently reading it
really interesting and insightful
Charley Duschen
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I did not finish the book. I read 123 pages and gave up. Same subject over and over. I 've always been a fan of Shirley, so gave the book a longer read to get better--------- it did not.
Deena Scintilla
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Call me crazy, but I enjoy her "woo-woo" books since I have believed in reincarnation since childhood to the dismay of my family.
C Clack
Jul 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
NOT for me.
Ginette
First book of Shirley Maclaine read, . I went through the others just as fast and with the same pleasure. Now time to go one with her latest ones.
Yaaresse
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Not what anyone would call great literature, but she's damned entertaining.
Juan
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Cuando apareció este libro estaba en eferbescencia el tema de experiencia fuera del cuerpo, de los guias espirituales y todo eso. disfruté su lectura.
Bradley
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Boy did I have some weird dreams after reading this book. She is an excellent writer and I have always admired her work. Her books sure encourage soul-searching. =)
Marilyn Belleghem
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
While some of the experiences and beliefs shared in Dancing in The Light stretched my beliefs it was a good read by an author I've come to enjpoy.
Tristy
Aug 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
God, Shirley, you are so pompous & preachy now. You make me sad.
Katie Brown
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Very similar to the other book of hers that I read. Was on board until the end when it got weird. Still liked it, though.
Stephanie Wills
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It makes you stop and think about your own journey.
Claude Vertu
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and great food for thought.
Roger McKasson
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great Read! I like her style and presentation!
Lara
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, so moving.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auto-biogr
Non-fiction. She's celebrating her 50th birthday. She is a little "out there" but she does make you open up your mind. She's working out why she "chose" her parents!
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Many Mansions: The Edgar Cayce Story on Reincarnation (Signet)
  • There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce
  • Illuminata: A Return to Prayer
  • Edgar Cayce on Atlantis
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • I Was a Dancer
  • One from the Hart
  • The Search for Bridey Murphy
  • Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics
Shirley MacLaine is an Academy Award-winning American film and theatre actress, well-known not only for her acting, but for her devotion to her belief in reincarnation. She is also the writer of a large number of autobiographical works, many dealing with her new age beliefs, such as solipsism, as well as her Hollywood career. She is the older sister of Warren Beatty.

More about Shirley Maclaine...