Start by marking “Daniels' Running Formula” as Want to Read:
Daniels' Running Formula

Daniels' Running Formula

Get in the best shape of your running career with the scientifically based training in Daniels' Running Formula. In the book that Runner's World magazine called "the best training book," premier running coach Jack Daniels provides you with his proven VDOT formula to guide you through training at exactly the right intensity to become a faster, stronger runner.

Choose from
Paperback, Second Edition, 304 pages
Published November 3rd 2004 by Human Kinetics (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Daniels' Running Formula, please sign up.
Ruben Valdez Escobedo You might want to check out this previous response. I've tried and it works, but it does not list the second edition next to the third: …moreYou might want to check out this previous response. I've tried and it works, but it does not list the second edition next to the third: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...(less)

Start your review of Daniels' Running Formula
Michelle Curie
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Running is my weak spot. I can't even say why, but I count picking up running a few years ago to the best decisions I have ever made and now can't even imagine a life without it. Having that said, I'm not an athlete. I run and that's all I do. I don't train. But then I realized I actually did want to increase my knowledge on that subject and get more into the scientific bits. And that was when I was recommended this book!

Jack Daniels (not related to the whisky, but I wonder how often he gets
Simen Næss Berge
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to get serious about their running
Shelves: personal-library
This book is simply amazing. I read it, followed one of the 26-week marathon training plans and dropped my marathon time by over 50 minutes in less than a year. From 3:55 to 3:03 after doing the 41-55 miles (66-89 km) per week plan.

The book does a good job telling you why you do every run as you do. It tells you what paces to hit for each run also. The plans are easy to follow and they are easy to customize to fit your life.

The only critism I have is that the long runs are too easy/slow. While
Jessica
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a recreational runner I found this book very helpful but also pretty advanced. It is definitely a resource that I will continue to utilize as I continue to improve in my running.
Henri Hämäläinen
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack Daniels is a professor of physical education, coach of Olympic athletes and olympic medalist himself. That was proof enough for me, to take a closer look on his ideas.

For me there were two important things in this book. First one was the idea of training load. I've understood that there is different load for different type of exercises, but this book got me to understand more about it and quantify the loads to some extend. I took that part directly in to use on my training diary and will
Joseph Siefers
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Done them all...Hansons, Pfitzinger, etc. The Daniels 2Q marathon plan is the right fit for me (your mileage may vary).

The 2Q method is wonderful and roughly follows the 80% easy 20% hard rule of thumb (which in my opinion is a far more sustainable way to train). I love how each Q is unique (some have a long warmup, others short, some marathon pace Qs have a break roughly halfway, others don't, tempo Qs sometimes have rests, other times, recovery intervals). With Hansons and Pfitzinger you were
Lüc Carl
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Daniels is a genius. At times almost a little too smart. I do not recommend this book to anyone who's never run at least a 50 mile week at one point or another. Most of his techniques don't apply to people not hoping to qualify for the Olympics.
His methods are cutting edge (especially 30 years ago) and this book is a must read for anyone who spends a great deal of their life in their running shoes.
Matthew Ottewell
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the standard bearer for the long distance community. It suffers from the same problems many running books do: it treats the programs (which work) and the foundations of these programs as settled science.

The science is not settled. We know that these programs work, but the incredible complexity of adaptation to training stimulus is boiled down to principles that too many runners hold as dogma: "lactate threshold" "Vo2max" "tempo runs" "running economy" "anaerobic/aerobic energy use"

Mark Law
Some good tips but I had higher hopes. I appreciate the scientific approach, but sometimes felt the discussion was in place just to talk about the science, rather than enhance the author's premise. A nice structural change would be a bullet point "need to know" at the end of each chapter to reinforce the important points or lessons in that chapter.
Vasilis
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
The way the book is written is very easy to follow and use. I think it's a great helper for anyone who is serious about his training. Now it's time to apply the VDOT values in the road and see if the training programs of the book do make a difference in marathon!
Hexar Anderson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my entire view on what running training should look like - and it flies in the face of my preconceptions that I've held ever since I started running. The first and most important thing I learned is that I've been running entirely too fast for the majority of my runs - when in fact, you obtain the greatest benefit for the lowest risk when you run pretty slowly (easy pace) for the majority of your runs. The second is that I should be running much more than twice a week - ideally ...more
Kyle Bale
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in college I had my two roommates Jake and Joey relay me the sparknotes version of this book as I was preparing to run a marathon January later that year. I had been building a base of aerobic endurance the previous 6 months and was looking for some direction in my leftover training. Both gave me the basic idea, and referred me to an 18-week training plan I could jump into.

Fast forward to post-marathon, post Joey and Jake roommates (*dab*), and post-unplanned break from running (laziness),
Miguel Pais
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I was looking for!
The perfect manual for every mildly self-conscious and motivated runner who wants to improve their times and an overall awesome introduction to fitness in general.

There's just so much misleading information being exposed every day on blog posts, while this gem has been lying around for 20 years with everything you need to know, written not by a journalist or some sort of fad-creator, but from an actual scientist that has been researching about this for years.

An eye
Pavel Linshits
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kinda cheating to include this in my 50 books in 2019 challenge, but fuck it. Daniels writes in a clear, comprehensive style, making his ideas accessible to both elite athletes and complete beginners. I'm much closer to the latter than the former, which meant I skipped a few sections aimed at 100 miles/week runners, but I like the scientific approach and the amount of information he provides you with, and will use his plans in training for my first marathon in April. Depending on how that goes, ...more
Michael Mason-D'Croz
If you want to learn how to coach running, set up training plans or just better your running, this book is a must read. It is so dense and full of information about running and training. Seriously, you should read this book if you care about running. If not ... skip it.

With that said, this book is so full of science, science data, science jargon and other heavy, research-based sections that it can be a bear to read and get through sections.
Camilo
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually more like 3.5 stars

Good recommendations and general framework for running, but it seems to be more suitable for professional and/or people who are really into long distances on their weekly training than people like me who really like running but can't put in all that much mileage. I used it for marathon training and his lightest program was up to 40 miles per week while my aspiration was more like up to 20 or 30 miles per week
Dori Y Juan
Worthwhile reading and interesting but training plans are overly complex

I enjoyed reading this and I have taken away some useful tips that I will put into practice. It’s unfortunate that the training plans are overly complex which makes me reluctant to use them although I think the principles can be followed
Cheng Nie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I have the proper knowledge from the coach, I am better prepared for a better training plan ahead. Before reading this book, I was thinking about tackling Marathon at the end of this year. After reading this book, I thought I'd be better off to target at half Marathon before the end of the year with carefully executed plan. Thank you coach!
Dilyan Dimitrov
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a very good book about running.
It contains plenty of useful information about breathing, HR, VO2max, different types of running, training for races and general running tips. He also gives complete running programs for almost all distances from 800m to a marathon.
On the negative side, the book is more for coaches than for runners and sometimes the MATH gets quite complex.
Kelly
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can only judge a book like this based on the results I get from its prescriptions. I'm still in the process of trying out his running plans, and I cannot yet speak for the results but I feel that the theory makes sense and the workouts are highly reasonable. If nothing else, I'm enjoying the runs.
Steven Willmott
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really useful view on performance training and how different types of training affect performance. Good to have really detailed breakdowns and tables for speed, VoMax etc. The VDOT concept is really useful. Now you just have to, actually, ... train!
Martin Raybould
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
My marathon planning goes on.
This authoritative book helped although it was clearly written for those fitter and younger than me. Contains enough general tips to help casual runners who are motivated by personal achievement rather than winning medals.
Greg Streeter
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for the intermediate to advance runner

Plenty of science and training plans for more experienced runners. New runners should slowly build up to at least 30 miles per week before tackling Mr Daniels' formulas. S great resource.
mellyana
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
It helps me to understand the training program. I must admit, the number and charts are not my fave but they are necessary. This is reference book, that means I like to quick read the whole book and go deeper to section related to my objective at that time.
Fer Prz
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fitness
The methods Daniels uses to develop athletes is very scientific and easy to follow. In this book Jack provides outlined plans for all types of running activity, from a 100M to cross country, to marathons. Very methodical and comprehensive. Outstanding work. Not easy to do tho, running is hard but my favorite fitness activity.
Michael
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the classics in the field. It's pretty authoritative but definitely not for beginners. Daniels expects you to do a reasonable amount of maths, and if you're looking for a plan which tells you exactly what to do and when to do it, this probably isn't it.
Tim Garber
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the back bone of so many coaches' running programs. The incredibly practical advice laid out by Jack Daniels is so helpful, and he does a good job discussing the science behind his theory as well. Well worth the read of you're a distance coach or amateur runner.
Brittany
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book on running I’ve found! Highly recommend.
Jeff C
Dec 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm just a recreational half marathon runner.
The training plans and concepts in this book seem more helpful to semi-pro or pro runners.
I'll stick with simpler run training books.
Ryan
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, running
Clear on its points, mostly seemed like common sense though. Be purposeful in every component of training.

Useful collection of training plans as well.
Jack Luminous
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uuuu.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Advanced Marathoning
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine
  • Once a Runner
  • The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Again to Carthage
  • Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
  • 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half Marathon
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • Lore of Running
  • Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • Build Your Running Body: A Total-Body Fitness Plan for All Distance Runners, from Milers to Ultramarathoners—Run Farther, Faster, and Injury-Free
“Don’t compare yourself to other runners; focus on your own fitness and performance.” 1 likes
“Don’t waste your time wishing for things you don’t have. Do your best with what you do have.” 1 likes