Start by marking “Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1; The Edge Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:

Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  12,116 Ratings  ·  740 Reviews
Abandoned at birth in the perilous Deepwoods, Twig Verginix is brought up by a family of woodtrolls. One cold night, Twig does what no woodtroll has ever done before – he strays from the path.

So begins a heart-stopping adventure that will take Twig through a nightmare world of fearsome goblins, bloodthirsty beasts and flesh-eating trees. Can he discover the truth about hi
Published October 1st 1999 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1998)

Phrynne
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
One thing I will say for this author is that he is very good at making up magical creatures with amazing names and his illustrator is equally good at drawing them! The picture of Mag, the terrible termagant trog, straight after her change has to be seen to be believed:)

This is a great read for all ages but especially for those younger readers who like to read something with a bit of bite to it. Not enough to give you nightmares, but plenty to think about. The story is good and follows young Twig
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Oh my god, what an entertaining and enjoyable read about adventure, hope and never giving up even in the most dire circumstances.
I don't really know where to start with the story, there is so much going on and you as the reader really feel like you're right there in the adventure with Twig (who is a lovable little character), you follow him through impossible situations that he always manages to get out of because he's so filled with hope and spirit.
This is one of those wild imagination books,
Cindy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised about this book. Not because of the fact that it was bad. It was actually better then I thought it would be. The thing that surprised me is that this is considered a children's series and the rather disturbing stuff that goes on in here. I did love the fact that there was so many different creatures and adventures going on. Not one problem lasted so long.

I do agree with the person that said they were surprised that the story got wrapped up so neatly with so much random st
Christina
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those series, like the famous Harry Potter, and like the Chrestomanci series of Diana Wynne Jones, that I used to fervently and desperately wish were real. Or rather, that felt so real incredibly real that I simply couldn't believe they weren't. Yes, my 11th birthday was somewhat spoiled with the absence of a letter from Hogwart's, but it's no time to dwell on that.
I remember first reading this aged 11, at a very unhappy time in my childhood, and it was the very best escape into f
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

Book #1 of the series The Edge Chronicles

I fell in love with Twig. Forever thinking he was a Wood Troll, when he finds out he is not, he starts a journey to find out who he is. Always in fear of the Gloamglozer, Twig navigates the woods full of nasty beasts and man eating trees. He encounters Hover Worms, Slaughterers, the Blood Oak, the Gyle Goblins, Rotsuckers, and Termagant Trogs, among others. Along the way he buddies up with the Banderbear and the Caterbird, who help him when most n
Ryan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
Very imaginative and moody. The setting is dark and colourful and a little bit twisted, with frequent gross-out moments to appeal to the target audience. There is an extremely diverse cast of characters.

The Bad:
Many of the scenes appeared to randomly follow the last one, a theme repeated in the setting – a lot of bizarre stuff occurs for no given reason. The chief antagonist doesn’t play a significant role (view spoiler)
Saeed Mohamadi
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saeed by: Roya
3 stars for the story and so many characters that beautifully described in so much details, wonderful graphics in the book and 1 star for the ending. It was a good end to the story, finishing first book with an appropriate plot for the main character to be introduced and leaving the reader in a position that they know it's the beginning of a great journey for him . Definitely going to read the next book in this trilogy.
The best thing I enjoyed in this book was the vast numbers of metaphors that
Arielle Walker
Every time I read this book I remember again how much I absolutely adore everything about it. The Edgeworld, the Deepwoods, the creatures and characters, the gorgeous sketches, the plot - EVERYTHING. I will, at some point, write an actual review but for now I'll just say (like a little kid) IloveitIloveitIloveit IwantitIwantitIwantit!
Daley
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, Book 1)

After beginning this book, I figured out that it is actually written for children. At the time, I had no book to read. This book has been on my shelf for a few years. It was given to my partner as a gift and he was never interested in it. So, out of necessity to have something to read, I grabbed it.

I was shocked at how much I liked it. It wasn't incredible, but it was very well written and the story was well thought out. It had a few twists and turns
Ahmad Sharabiani
Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles #1), Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
Lör K.
I remember when I first found this book, nestled away in my local library. I was around 10-11, and my dad pulled it out and said, "Ethan, this one sounds a lot like Harry Potter, why don't you give it a try? You love your fantasy and magical creatures".

Almost reluctantly, I got it out because, really, I didn't want to be reading young adult books when the crime and gore section was right there, but I decided to settle down and give my dad's pick a chance.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I was taken on a whole ne
DNF with Jack Mack
Mythical critters info dumping things about their world that they already know.
Mikayla
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved every aspect of this book, it was just as enchanting as the first time I read it, and can at least say that it's as good as all the previous books I've read.
Aleshanee
Für Kinder: 4 Sterne

Meine Meinung

Ich bin von dem Buch ein bisschen enttäuscht, weil ich eine völlig andere Erwartung hatte. Das Cover hat mich an die Scheibenweltromane erinnert, dabei hat man es hier mit einem reinen Kinderbuch zu tun. Was jetzt an sich nicht schlimm wäre, aber ich bin mit dem Handlungsablauf nicht so wirklich klargekommen.
Wenn ich das Buch jetzt rein für Kinder bewerten würde, könnte ich 4 Sterne vergeben, aber mir persönlich hat es leider nicht so gefallen.

Im ersten Kapitel h
Karlis
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Autori - Kriss Ridels un Pols Stjuarts - grāmatā ir centušies parādīt, ka brīžiem var atkāpties no ikdienišķās un garlaicīgās grāmatu rakstīšanas, veidojot kādu radošu savu fantāziju un izdomu augli. Grāmata jau kādu laiku bija stāvējusi manas istbas plauktā, līdz beidzot nolēmu to izlasīt. To es nenožēloju nevienu brīdi, jo bija interesanti attālināties no realitātes un pabūt kādā interesantā vietā devētā par Malaszemi.
Piedzīvojums sākas Malazsemē galvenā varoņa - Zarēna audžuvecāku mājā. Mala
Charlotte May
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was thoroughly unexpected! I was thinking I'd picked up a light-hearted children's fantasy that I'd whiz through without too much emotional attachment.
So imagine my surprise when the characters and creatures were so gruesome, inventive and frankly sometimes scary! I had a lot of love for Twig - he was a lovable character, a relatable little guy who doesn't fit in with his Woodtroll family and so sets off to find himself and his destiny in the Deepwoods. What he finds is a magical array
Alexis
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually pretty good; I'm just angry about the ferocious beast on the front of the book. The beast on the front is called a banderbear, it's a timid creature and nothing messes with it except these little, evil, ferocious, fur balls called wig-wigs. The main character had met the banderbear while looking for food. It was sitting on the ground holding its had up to its face while whimpering. It turns out the banderbear had a rotten tooth in his mouth, so the main character pulled it ...more
Tilly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle-grade fantasy books are probably the best way to get out of a reading slump, especially when they are as magical, whimsical and creative like this one. First of all I absolutely loved Chris Riddles illustrations through the whole novel, they were a great way to bring Paul Stewart good description of the creatures to life. I also think that the world-building is great and very detailed, especially for a childrens book. All the different places on the Edge which were described in the beginn ...more
Paul Ringkamp
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great (re)read for me, i read the entire series years ago and as this book was chosen for our January readalong in the book club it was the perfect opportunity to read them again.
As i have read the pre- and sequels, even if half a decade ago, the memories slowly returned as i read. Not enough at ones to lessen the fun but so that i would wait with a grin for Twig to stumble into the next problem.
A great book, a great series.
Highly recommended.
Badiss
May 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a 13 year old Twig who discovers that he was abandoned at birth by a unknown person. Twig goes on a long journey through Deepwoods to try to get back his family. He makes his way through goblins and trogs and beasts who drink blood for fun.

I didnt really like this book, because of it's plot. It's a fairy tail book and I'm not a fan of books of that kind. The only reason why i never put it down was because i was waiting for something good to happen, by the time i realized nothi
Sanaa
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4 Stars] Just as whimsical and enjoyable as the first time I read it.
Marie
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books I devoured when I was a child and still remember quite clearly today. The inspiration might have been Red Riding Hood: Don't leave the path. Never. But well: When does any character in any book follow that advice? The story then winds through the forest and suprises us with the most unexpected beasts, dangerous situations and escapes. As if that wasn't enough, it also treats topics like familiy, belongig, growing, mourning and search for identity.
One more thing that's m
Sonja
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book instantly. Maybe even before I started reading it. The cover is way cooler than this pic they have.
The art of the book is so amazing. The map of The Edge is amazing. I want to go there. After the first chapter I could hardly put it down. What an amazing adventure story. Its a kids book-i saw it in the childrens section at the library and was drawn to the fancy cover. It reminds me of Bilbo's adventures in the HObbit but not so hard to read. A very quick easy-fun read. I loved i
Steven
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This entire series is well worth a read, even if it takes you a few months (It certainly took me a long time, and I'm a fast reader!).

The series is made up of three trilogies, a book that is basically a one book trilogy, and then another trilogy that is still being written. The trilogies are spread out in time and all focus on a different member of the main family line. I didn't necessarily fall in love with the series because of the story (although the stories are great), I really fell in love
Amy Rijk
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read of a book I used to love when I was around 11 years old. Back then I read this in Dutch and the amazing cover art drew me in from the first moment I set eyes on it at the library.

I have to say I do still love it. While Twig isn't a very active protagonist and events just happen to him instead of him having some agency over it, it does actually tie back in to the story at the end. It makes sense for it to feel more like a guided experience for him.

The world continues to fascinate me an
Brenton
Personal Response: Overall I thought this novel was interesting, it was very creative and well written. The novel was a very easy read and was easy to comprehend. I believe that the novel was full of adventure and had lots of plot twists. There was always more to discover in the deepwoods, while there was still lots of mysterious aspects left unknown. The novel established the main characters troubles along his journey very clearly.

Plot Summary: The plot is always changing throughout the novel,
Mathew
Although the sticker on the front of my copy states that those who have read 'Harry Potter' would enjoy this, I have to say that the Edge Chronicles have no relation to Rowling's world and its joy and originality stand happily on their own two feet.
Twig, brought up by Woodtroll parents, finds himself having to leave the safety of his home to venture out into the Deepwoods: a place of unlimited peril. The pace throughout the book is as quick as the world is rich in creatures and encounters. I re
Andy
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mit diesem Buch eröffnet sich dem Leser eine Welt, die riesig ist und gefährlich, voller fantastischer Figuren und Abenteuern. Es ist auch eher ein Jugend- als ein Kinderbuch, da mit den Figuren nicht zimperlich umgegangen wird. Sie müssen sich ständig bewähren und ein Fehler in dieser gefährlichen Welt kann den Tod bedeuten. Die Klippenland-Chroniken sind eine der schönsten Highfantasy-Reihen für Jugendliche, die ich kenne. Und sie besitzt wunderbare Illustrationen, was für ein Jugendbuch schon ...more
Tanita Cornes
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic book! Full of adventure and curious characters. Brilliant twist at the end.
I would definitely use this book in class, it uses great descriptive language, modelling setting a scene and impressions of characters.
Simon Pelletier
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it as a pre-teen and really enjoyed the book. I still have fond memories of this book to this day. If you have a child who likes fantasy, I highly recommend this serie.
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)
  • The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1)
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • Tourist Trap (Edgar & Ellen, #2)
  • The House of Power (Atherton, #1)
  • Ugly Bugs
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Prophecy (Dragonology Chronicles, #4)
  • The Relic Hunters (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #2)
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
  • Prince of Fools (Sebastian Darke, #1)
  • The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales, #2)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more
More about Paul Stewart

The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga (3 books)
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Normal! He thought. Normal! I don't want things to be normal. Normal is always being left out, never belonging.” 31 likes
“Not different, but special!” 10 likes