Start by marking “Bruce Wayne: The Road Home” as Want to Read:
Bruce Wayne: The Road Home

Bruce Wayne: The Road Home (Batman)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  874 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Now that he's made a long return trip to the land of the living, Batman finally gets a chance to reunite with those characters closest to him. Featuring Batman's greatest allies and enemies, friends, foes and loved ones.
Published September 1st 2011 by Titan Publishing Company (first published July 19th 2011)

StoryTellerShannon
And so Bruce Wayne returns to check up on the “Extended Batman Family” which means he tests them in his own supersuit and reveals himself to some but to others he holds off.

But the real focus is upon Bruce Wayne watching his family and commenting on their pros and cons in his memoirs which are usually woven into the panels. There's some guilt and remorse which is to be expected with Bruce Wayne. There's also memoirs by other characters, too. Just look at the change in script or color to differe
Kemper
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2011
You’d think that after being stuck in the past after being presumed dead that upon returning to the present that Bruce Wayne would head immediately for Wayne Manor for a long hot shower, a gourmet meal prepared by Alfred and a good night’s sleep. But that’s just not how Batman rolls. Instead of announcing his return to his friends, he decides to do a bit of skulking about in a suit that gives him super powers that allows him to spy on and interact with various members of the extended Bat-family ...more
Anne
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come see the softer side of Batman...

Well, maybe not softer. It is Batman, after all.
But. It appears that being presumed dead and getting lost in time has had an effect on the Dark Knight. Could it be that Bruce Wayne is actually sentimental? It would seem so. Of course, since he is The Batman, sentimental takes on a whole new form.
Instead of simply announcing his return to his rather extended Bat-family (and rolling out some chips and dip), he takes on a new persona (The Insider) and proceeds
JB
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-dc-collection
Gotham's original Dark Knight Detective has been away from his city. Now that he has returned, in stead of announcing it to his family, friends and allies Bruce Wayne decides to test them. Test them to see how they managed without him. And to see who he can use for his future endeavor, which will be Batman Inc. He tests/observes the new Batman (Dick Grayson) and Robin (Damian Wayne), the Outsiders, Batgirl (Stephanie Brown), Oracle, Catwoman and Jim Gordon.

Bruce is very pleased overall with how
Aaron
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent if seemingly pointless story about Bruce Wayne checking in on the major members of the Batman Family after his return from being lost in time. The only real plot thread this tied up comes from Red Robin, with Vicki Vale hot on the trail of outing Bruce as Batman, along with everyone else he works with. But that storyline always felt superfluous. I mean, OF COURSE a minor character like Vicki Vale isn't going to succeed in her mission, so why are we spending time on something we know is wo ...more
Mike
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading anthologies is usually a chore.

Nicieza is hard to read - not because he uses big words (not much), but because he writes everything that should be shown or conveyed. Really? You need pages from the journals of each of your protagonists to tell a story? That's quite a lovely set of crutches. And frankly, what dialogue he does put in characters' mouths comes out like lead.

The Outsiders story taught me why I've never picked up one of those books.

Miller's not bad in the Batgirl issue.

...

Afte
Alan
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, this was just about an average read, hence the three star review. I had hope for this TPB, because The Battle for the Cowl highlighted the supporting cast in the Batman family. This volume, which pretty much wraps up Bruce's return to 2012 after being trapped in past, doesn't highlight the characters as well as it should have.

The best examples of giving a good amount of screen time to the supporting characters were the Stephanie Brown and Selina Kyle installments. In these instances Bruc
victoria.p
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Really 3 stars, but the extra star for the panel where Steph clocks him. BEST PANEL EVER: Y/MFY?

Enjoyable, with Bruce oscillating wildly between charming and asshole during each encounter as only he can.
Sam Quixote
Nov 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Set during Grant Morrison’s Batman run right after The Return of Bruce Wayne, Bruce is back but doesn’t want to reveal himself right away because DC wanted to make some more cash on a useless tie-in - I mean, “for artistic reasons relevant to the character at this time”!

Unfortunately Morrison has no hand in this one which is largely why it sucks. Instead DC assembles some of the worst comics writers around like Fabian Nicieza and Mike Barr to cobble this garbage together.

So Bruce puts on a new
Diego López Ocón

There are only two reasons to why you should read this:
a). You want to end the Vicky Vale arc that started in Battle for the Cowl
b). You have been reading all the series that came out or changed with Batman Reborn

Otherwise you're wasting your time and the experience of enjoyng this as it should.
Eric
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vikki Vale is hell-bent on uncovering the identified of Batman and telling all of Gotham. These stories follow Vales hunt for Batman, while also following the Bat-Family, as they protect Gotham, and Batman's identity, while they think Bruce is dead. Some stories are better than others, but it's totally worth 📚 reading.
Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: An increasingly redundant hit and miss sampler of related titles, impeding The Road Home with roadside distractions.
Beckiezra
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
3.5 at least, but it didn't leave me giddy enough for a 4. I liked some issues better than others. The Outsiders I could have done without entirely, but I've never read that series. The first issue was probably my favorite just because I love Dick and Damian. It made me want to read the whole Batman and Robin series again. Red Robin was fine, I'm not really a Tim fan so eh. I really liked Batgirl. I've never read the comic and I've kind of actively chosen to ignore the existence of Stephanie Bro ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Nicely done. The premise is superb: Batman has apparently died except he hasn't (duh), and comes back to spy on all he left behind before revealing himself. It makes you realize what a legacy he left. In this book alone he's got three (former and present) Robins, the Outsiders, three (former and present) Batgirls, the Commissioner, and Catwoman. Not bad for a life's work.

Tying it all together is that Vicki Vale has learned his identity, and Ra's Al Ghul is hunting her down for it, even though he
J.M. Hushour
I've always found certain elements of the big Bruce-Wayne-isn't-dead-he's-returning-shortly storylines to be wanting and I think, after reading "Road Home" a second time, that it's due to the overly complex nature of the Return of Bruce Wayne. There's the flitting through time, of course, after the Omega Sanction, then there's this story arc and then there's his actual return at the end of the main storyline with the bat cult thing. DC was trying to pack in too much. By the time you read this on ...more
Luke
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Wayne isn't dead after all..... but not everyone knows that.

Having returned from exile in the distant past, Bruce Wayne has chosen not to reveal his return to the "Bat-Family"

Taking on the identity of the "Insider" and sporting a high-tech suit that allows him to mimic the abilities of various super-heroes, Bruce sets about checking up on each of his allies to see how Gotham has fared in his absence.

Parallel to this story is the exploits of the reporter Vicki Vale, who having deduced the
Garrett
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't too thrilled with Bruce Wayne being brought back from the dead. The Road Home, a collection of one-shots that ran throughout the Bat universe, is a mostly enjoyable story featuring Bruce's take on what happened in Gotham during his year away. The back story involves (now washed-up) reporter Vicki Vale discovering the Bat-family's identities and threatening to reveal them. Little does she know, this secret puts her on numerous bad-guy hit-lists for a litany of reasons.

Considering the ei
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dcu
Now that Bruce Wayne has returned from jumping around in the timestream (see: The Return of Bruce Wayne), he learns that Dick Grayson and his biological son, Damian, have filled the role of Batman and Robin. Wayne decides to put the Batman family to the test by posing as a supervillain. He tests, Oracle, Batgirl, Catwoman, Red Robin, the whole gang, and learns that Gotham was in good hands without him. Entwined in this plot is an assassination attempt on Vicki Vale, who, bless her soul, just ca ...more
Jeffrey Jelmeland
This was an odd volume that appears to follow Bruce Wayne as The Insider as he checks up on the various characters in his life after coming back from the dead. As such it is not a title in its own right, but instead a case of a common story arc crossing multiple comics that is collected into one volume. In doing so we find ourselves with a mish mash of storytelling abilities, with some being quite well written while others seem more like teenage fanfic. The overarching story isn't a bad one, but ...more
Anya
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this collection of shorts, despite the crazy godlike suit Bruce Wayne wears while checking in on all of his extended batfamily. Disappointed to not have Cassandra Cain make an appearance-- there was some throwaway line about how she was doing exactly what she was supposed too--seems more like lazy writing to me. Also, the Vicki Vale storyline was unnecessary, although I appreciated having a different point of view when interacting with Gordon.
The Outsiders story didn't fit in too
Mike
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Road Home collects eight "one-shots" that chronicles Bruce Wayne's somewhat under the radar investigation of various members of the "Bat-family's" status following his apparent death, held together by Vickie Vale's own investigation of said subjects.

The collection suffers from not only being a thinly tied grouping of eight issues featuring different characters by different teams, but also being a side story to boot. I got it primarily for the tie ins to Red Robin and Batgirl (both of which I
Don Tucker
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Mendiola
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has just been such a streak of really entertaining books. This one wasn't written by Grant Morrison but a whole host of writers since it's a one shot anthology of a few of the Bat family books. Bruce is back but he's got to figure out how the world is since he's absence. It's awesome seeing the different teams and heroes and villains through Bruce's eyes. It was fun seeing all these characters come through and fun seeing Bruce sort of move beyond being just Batman. Though, seriously, the Insi ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
This is the most crazy comic book I’ve ever read. You’ve got Batman & Robin running around the city chasing this Hangman, Vicki Vale threatening to release some story, and someone acting like Bruce Wayne (very convincingly).

The ending has an even stranger twist. Really. I’m not going to say what it is (that would defeat the purpose of reading this comic). It’s very strange and doesn’t make sense at all. I thought one-shots are supposed to be a complete story, but it left me with more questio
Gavin
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A well told story of Bruce Wayne's return (after coming back through all of time...) and how he manages to look in on everyone of his extended family members. Linked together unexpectedly by a story Vicki Vale is uncovering, things are picking up in Gotham. But, Bruce doesn't want everyone to know he's back yet, so how does he go about keeping an eye on the others? A very well done, interesting story and growth point for Bruce/Batman
Caroline
This is all over the place, and most of the one-shots had me scratching my head more than anything else.

I did enjoy the Catwoman story more than anything else, but this really didn't go much of anywhere, and there's a whole slew of characters that just seem crazy out of place with no real purpose. Pretty weak all around.
Riju Ganguly
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this string of stories, all linked by the common thread of Bruce Wayne waiting for the right moment to let the fact be known that Batman has returned, while the reporter Vicki Vale (this 'Metropolis'-styled names really don't go in Gotham) tries to prove that Bruce Wayne IS Batman. Good stories. Recommended.
Mathew Carruthers
Brilliant! I am slowly, but surely, catching up on 15 years' worth of Batman stories, and so far, this is one of the definite highlights from recent years. Very good art, great storytelling, and the multiple viewpoints let the reader know exactly how far-reaching the influence of the Batman is... Good stuff!
Hannah Givens
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great characterization throughout. Exactly the kind of in-depth character-driven look at his return that I'd want, with his associates' reactions. Managed to be a good, complete Batman story and also further the big arc of the time.
Lorien
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to find the connecting story between Bruce's return, and the rise of the short lived Batman Inc. I can't ever read this insanely huge story in order, but fitting the pieces together is wonderful. So glad I found this. :)
  • Batman: Long Shadows
  • Batman: Streets of Gotham - Leviathan
  • Batman: Life After Death
  • Batgirl, Volume 3: The Lesson
  • Red Robin, Volume 2: Collision
  • Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Wonder Woman
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 5
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 4: The First Rule of Pet Club...
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Superman
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring The Flash
  • Trinity, Vol. 2
  • Batgirl/Robin: Year One
  • Secret Six, Vol. 4: Cats in the Cradle
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Batman
  • Teen Titans, Vol. 15: Prime of Life
Fabian Nicieza is an American comic book writer and editor who is best known for his work on Marvel titles such as X-Men, X-Force, New Warriors, Cable and Deadpool, and Thunderbolts, for all of which he helped create numerous characters.
More about Fabian Nicieza...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1