Start by marking “Wild Adapter, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Wild Adapter, Volume 1

Wild Adapter, Volume 1

(Wild Adapter #1)

Makoto Kubota wandered through life, not taking things too seriously or looking too deep within himself. His job as the head of the Izumo Group's youth gang kept him pleasantly occupied with yakuza wars, mahjong and assassinations...Until the day he stumbled upon a strange drug called Wild Adapter that produces bizarre side-effects--including death. Forever changed, Kubota ...more
Published February 13th 2007 by TokyoPop

To ask other readers questions about Wild Adapter, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Adapter, Volume 1

Start your review of Wild Adapter, Volume 1
Tyas
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The full review was published in Animonster. This review has been abridged.

Semua berawal dari keinginan Minekura Kazuya, manga-ka yang melahirkan Gensoumaden Saiyuuki, untuk membuat sebuah kisah action yang ‘hard-boiled'. Ia merancang 2 orang karakter utama, namun tiba-tiba saja ia menjadi ingin untuk menampilkan kedua karakter tersebut dalam kisah yang lebih ringan yang berhubungan dengan kehidupan sekolah. Minekura-sensei pun banting setir, dan terciptalah Shiritsu Araiso. Namun ia tak melupak
Leila Anani
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Despite having an almost identical artwork style, this is about as far from Saiyuki as you can possibly get, gone is the humour, Budhist philosophy and the lyrical setting - here we have an ultra violent urban story about a sociopathic teenager who joins the yakuza. It's like the path Cho Hakki could have taken if he were born in the real world.

The art is stunning, the characters are individualised and for some reason the protagonist is sympathetic, despite being a monster. Film Noir style is n
Tina
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I rate 5 stars because I cant make it a 4.5 but anyways AN AWESOME BL MANGA. MY FAVORITE BL MANGA EVER! The only reason I rate a 4.5 is because it gets Really confusing at parts. I LOVE IT THOUGH. MY favorite type of bl relationship ever. SO SAD THAT IT HASNT UPDATED IN YEARS. THAT MAKES ME SO MAD CUZ IT DESERVES TO CONTINUEE
Teetee
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-yaoi
I was drawn in by the art on this one when i picked it up several years ago but it was more focused on story than relationship and probably was shonen-ai or implied relationship more than yaoi. I didn't get past volume one if I recall.
Angel
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Loved this series when I read it back in high school, even more so than Saiyuki. I loved how dark the story got, how complicated the characters were, and the dynamic between the two leads. One reason I was sad that Tokyopop went under. Hope another publisher picks it up someday.
Viridian5
Feb 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I was disappointed by Wild Adapter vol. 1, though I'm told it gets better in later volumes not available from Tokyopop yet. Kubota is Sociopath Stu, and everything thus far is basically to show what a wicked-cool, unstoppable, yet lust-worthy and fuzzy-feelings-worthy badass he is. Poor Komiya was sweet (as sweet as Yakuza can be), but he was basically there to show support in how wicked-great and charismatic Kubota is. And most of the characters look like Gojyo-Kenren or Banri--Komiya almost is ...more
Violet
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first book in a seinen series with boy's love elements. Makoto Kubota is a boy without much direction in life. He is smart, and brutal which are good traits when he heads the yakuza organization Izumo Group's youth gang. Then he encounters a drug called W.A. or Wild Adapter. W.A. makes the people who take it grow fangs, claws, fur, and gives them incredible strength. At least until their internal organs explode.

Then finds a "stray cat" on the street. A boy with a furry, clawed hand, that ha
Reader17 Der
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-read
Álex
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Este manga ha sido toda una sorpresa, sobre todo al empezarlo sin tener ni la más mínima idea de que iba. Este primer volumen funciona como prólogo a la verdadera historia que comienza a desarrollarse en el segundo tomo. Aquí nos presentan al protagonista, un joven misterioso, violento y desconcertante, cuya fascinante personalidad nos atrapa en su paso por los yakuzas y el descubrimiento de la nueva droga W.A. En cierto modo puede verse casi como una historia autoconclusiva cuya última página s ...more
Miss Susan
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
huh. devoting an entire volume to prologue is an interesting choice. honestly i was kinda confused, i vaguely remembered that the ship for this series involved two black haired dudes but i was totally getting a komiya/kubota vibe. kind of a shame that (view spoiler), komiya seemed sweet for a yakuza thug.

idk how to rate this since apparently it's not even the main story but i'm going to go with: 3 stars
Tifa
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading this series for the first time in years, and it's even better than I remembered. It's hard not to think of it as some kind of Saiyuki modern yakuza AU because the art is so similar to Saiyuki's characters. But that's okay. The art is still great and the story is interesting. I'm excited to read the series again.
Miss Ryoko
Jul 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I have a feeling that as this series goes on, the ratings will go up... I mean, its Kazuya Minekura. But as for this volume, it was essentially the prologue (she said so herself at the end) so this was, by all standards, an introductory volume. But, I think the series is going to get real interesting real soon! Haha!
Kati
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, in-english, manga-bl
What a weird, weird manga. So violent and raw, there are no good guys in this, only Yakuza members, murderers and arms and drug dealers. The main hero is Makoto Kubota, who's in this all for himself - but at the same time, he's strangely selfless. I wonder what's up with his aversion to sex in general, het or gay. Quite intriguing. And did I mention how weird it is?
Ashley
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Kazuya Minekura
While watching/reading (more watching) Saiyuki, I wondered what Minekura would do if she were to downscale her stories and focus on tighter plots, and I think Wild Adapter is a good example of what she's capable when she narrows her focus to a couple of characters instead of a whole cast. It's dark and gritty, and I'm very eager to see where it goes from the first two or three volumes.
Joy
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Joy by: Micole, Oyceter, Ysabet
Interestingly dark so far, though I am thrown by the fact that Minekura appears to have a total of five different character designs in her repertoire. The art is Minekura's best, by the way, and Tpop has kindly included the gorgeous color pages.
The first volume of this series was surprisingly good, especially considering that all the action of the first half is prequel for a dangerous gay romance with hints of werewolves. I can't wait to read the next one!
Amber
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit that was good.

Definitely a pleasure to be back in Kazuya Minekura's art again, though my only complaint is that characters are drawn similar to Saiyuki characters. Eh eh, it could be worse.

Can't wait for more!
Anna
I was pleasantly surprised with this manga. There was an adequate balance between plot concerning W.A. and Kubota's personal life, and none of it was too dramatic or explosive. Event he violent bits weren't overdone. I can't wait to read what happens next!
Erica
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love this series. It ended early when the publisherwent out of business.I hope some one picks it back up in the future.
Robin
Jun 16, 2009 marked it as to-read
On recommendation, going to give this series a try! Woo. New cracktastic manga.
Kimberly
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Don't be mistaken... that isnot hakkai......
A yukuza story...
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Oh, this is going to be good....
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a major fan of Kazuya Minekura. This series doesn't disappoint!
Trip
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
It's Kazuya Minekura, all right: all honor and male bonding and the rich creamy DOOM.
Amanda Huber
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish the mangaka would actually finish this series after all these years! I will read anything by Kazuya Minekura! Her health, however, prevents her nowadays from working consistently.
Kate
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Kazuya Minekura's art style. This volume gets 4 stars because the entire thing is a prologue, and it moves a little slow. The second volume is much better.
L Alonso Corona

• Switch, Vol. 1
  • Legal Drug, Volume 03
  • Vassalord, Volume 1
  • 是-ZE 1
  • Fake, Volume 1 (Fake, #1)
  • Let Dai, Volume 01
  • Loveless 04
  • Future Lovers, Vol. 1
  • Kizuna Deluxe Edition, Volume 01
  • Antique Bakery, Volume 3
  • Innocent Bird, Volume 1
  • Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, Vol. 5
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 2
Kazuya Minekura (峰倉かずや Minekura Kazuya, born March 23, 1975) is a Japanese manga artist most known for the Saiyuki series. Her other manga series include Wild Adapter, Shiritsu Araiso Koto Gakko Seitokai Shikkobu (Araiso Private School Student Council Executive Committee), and Stigma. Stigma is notable for being a full-color work, unusual as manga is generally drawn in black and white.

She had an

Wild Adapter (7 books)
  • Wild Adapter, Volume 2
  • Wild Adapter, Volume 3
  • Wild Adapter, Volume 4
  • Wild Adapter, Volume 5
  • Wild Adapter, Volume 6
  • WILD ADAPTER: 7 (ZERO-SUMコミックス) (Japanese Edition)