Start by marking “Cold River” as Want to Read:
Cold River

Cold River

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Fourteen-year-old Lizzy Allison and her younger brother Timothy are stranded in the frozen Adirondacks during one of the worst snowstorms of the century. Battling the untamed perils of nature, they embark on a heart-stopping journey of courage, strength, and endurance against all odds.
Published July 1st 1976 by Signet (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Cold River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold River

Gale
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Learning to Share her Father

Judson's 1974 story deals with survival on two levels: a brutal winter in the frozen woods and the hot battle between step-siblings. Of course two kids have a better chance of making it on their own during the winter than just one, but not all the predators have four legs. This readable book rivals Paulsen's man-about-the-woods with its forest lore. It is supposed to be impossible to starve in Nature's bounty--even in winter.

In 1921 fourteen-year-old Lizzie and her
Christine
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich las "In den Waeldern am kalten Fluss" mehrmals und sah mir auch den Film an. Ich war sogar in der Naehe des Cold River in den Adirondacks im Norden des US-Bundeststaates New York. Auf der Cold River Ranch sagte man mir 1994, dass man die Stelle aus dem Buch nur auf dem Pferderuecken erreichen kann. Es hat sich also seit den 30er Jahren (wann das Buch handelt) nichts veraendert, die Wildnis ist zumindest dort immer noch unberuehrt.

Ein anderes Buch, das auch in der Wildnis handelt, mir aber n
Karryn
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Who doesn't like a good adventure story?
In this one, young, resourceful Lizzie (age 14) manages to keep herself and her younger stepbrother alive in the Adirondack mountains after a tragic river rafting accident kills their father.

I've read this book twice, and both times wondered if I could move forward so quickly after tragedy. I wished for greater grief or greater emotion of some kind from the kids, and then see them pull out of it for the sake of survival. On the other hand, we know that o
Caitlyn
this book was amazing!it showed that when you put your mind to something you can actually do it! this book showes that when you take a wrong turnand dont go back but you tell people that your in another spot they dont know where you are... the tale of step-sister and brother come together to fight the wilderness in a cabin after losing their father from a horrible waterfall accident! This is my favoite adventure book ever!
Chance
Sep 25, 2012 added it
It was a pretty cool book. Cold River is the story of an Adirondack guide who takes his young daughter and step-son on a long camping trip in the fall of 1932. When winter strikes unexpectedly early he suffers a fatal heart attack, leaving his two children to find their own way home without food, or protection from the elements. My favorite part in the book is when they have to find their way home.
Ausy
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a book on a great Adirondack adventure. The main character Lizzy was a 14 old girl stranded with her brother in the worst winter ever recorded. Lizzy and her brother endured the blunt of the winter it stick forts and ate grouse and fish. Find out how she barely gets through the biggest blizzard and almost getting murdered in her sleep.
Michael
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The teacher back in elementary school read this to the class. She moved too slowly for me, so I grabbed it from the library and finished it over the weekend. It's one of the few books I remember anything from.
Wicked Dancer
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in junior high. I remember I liked it so much I read it twice. So I am giving it 5 stars- because at the time it was a great book to me. I don't want to re-read it again, for fear that it won't be as good as I remember it and I want to preserve my pleasant memory.
Dawn
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, I got it when I attempted to check out Cold Rock River at the library. I was intrigued so I brought it home to read. It's a quick read and I read that it has been made into a movie too. I would probably give it 3 1/2 stars.
Christine
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not as good as "The Island Keeper" by Harry Mazer, but still a good story about two kids joining their father on a trip to the Adirondacks wilderness in the early thirties (depression).
The movie was well done.
Jamie Bright
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting story, but I felt that some parts were rushed over too quickly, particularly the end. And the whole escaped convict plotline didn't fit very well...but the self-sufficient, kids-living-on-their-own parts were well done.
Liane
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My dad read this book to me when I was little and it's still one of my favorites. Fantastic story of survival! It never fails to pull me in every time I re-read it.
Connie
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sixty-plus Lizzie Allison tells the story of the harrowing wilderness adventure she, at age 14, and her younger stepbrother Tim survived through three months of deadly winter.
Helene Forst
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure story that takes place in the year 1921 in the Adirondack Wilderness.
cheryl vought
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a good read

I first read this book many years ago as a sixth grader. I reread it a few times over the years then, and again recently. I have enjoyed it every time. It is well written and tells a great tale. I have always wished the ending had not felt so rushed, but it doesn't diminish the story as it is written
Becky
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
An odd little nugget of a book but I was pleasantly surprised. The story is somewhat slow moving but the ending was an interesting surprise.
Ann Dickinson
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very suspenseful story of 2 young kids trying to survive in the Adirondack Mountains by themselves in winter.
Mark
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very quick and entertaining story. It's the typical outdoor adventure and overcoming adversity.
Pam
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ny, ya, nature, pam
This is absolutely one of my favorite YA books as it is action packed, and is extremely difficult to put down. The book also does an excellent job describing the environment of the Adirondacks, which I love. Great for both boys and girls who love nature and the outdoors!
Rob
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Joey
when we read this book in school i remember how awesome we thought it was. I bet the handfull of my friends that read this with me would agree that it was one of their favorite books they were ever required to read.
Michelle
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
A "what would you do in the same circumstance" book. A good, quick read
Erin
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i read it in class. how come teachers always know what to read?!
Jessica B.
This book is amazing.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
well done. didnt like the moralizing though, it felt disconnected from the rest of the story.
Scrock
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
this is One of my favorite books so far
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I learned that if you put your self in a hard place you can work to accomplish what is neccessary.
Dorothee
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loooved this as a kid, must've read this 10 times or more.
Tangi
  • Lost on a Mountain in Maine
  • Bar Flaubert
  • How to Draw Manga, Volume 21: Bishoujo Pretty Gals
  • Das Buch von Eden
  • Shadowrun 38: Ragnarock (Shadowrun)
  • Schloß Gripsholm
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Sylvie Cycle, #2)
  • A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day
  • Die eisige Zeit (Das Spiel der Götter, #4)
  • Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
  • I Know This Much Is True
    $11.73 $2.99
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
    $10.76 $2.99
  • Before I Let You Go
    $10.00 $2.99
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky
    $13.00 $2.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand