Start by marking “The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Volume 1 (1931-1934)” as Want to Read:
The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Volume 1 (1931-1934)

The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Volume 1 (The Diary of Anaïs Nin #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  5,421 Ratings  ·  287 Reviews
This celebrated volume begins when Nin is about to publish her first book and ends when she leaves Paris for New York. Edited and with a Preface by Gunther tuhlmann; Index.
Published 1967 (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Volume 1, please sign up.
Sheryl No it is a book for anyone who is interested in passion, life, art, erotica.

Rowena
What a diary! Definitely nothing like any diary I’ve ever read or written. Anais Nin is truly engaging. Each diary entry is so candid and shows her deeply introspective and artistic nature.

For the most part I’d say nothing truly remarkable happens in the diary; yet Nin is the kind of person who could turn a normal, everyday event into something magical and profound. This is a woman who really lived, who really experienced life, who aimed to fully understand human relationships, both edifying an
Alan
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taste shmaste. She is real. A real woman, who lead a free life. The fashion of hating her is as lame as the knee-jerk love of Wilco. It is like putting on a pair of Ugg boots in the city. Though there is certainly plausible cause for doing so (snow), it is generally a blind and embarrassing act of striving. There are several more nuanced alternatives to her, yes. And certainly, there are legitimate reasons to dislike her (her appetite for such words as "ensorcellment" and "elixers" being among t ...more
Anna
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a pulse
Annnnnnaaaaaaiiiiiiisssss (pronounce Anna!!-eeeeeees)

Dear Anais,
So far I have read Volumes 1 and 2 of your diary, Henry & June and that diminutive book of racy short stories, Little Birds. I ordered 11 more of your works online (used) and am compiling a library that will contain everything you've ever written, and then expand to include the books of authors you mention reading in your diary and/or befriended in life.

I guess it's no secret - I love you Anais. Because of you I started writing
Cheryl
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diary Thrill seekers
Recommended to Cheryl by: Rowena
I have always believed in Andre Breton’s freedom, to write as one thinks, in the order and disorder in which one feels and thinks, to follow sensations and absurd correlations of events and images, to trust to the new realms they lead one into.

I have always believed in a writer’s choice to write about the mundane affairs of life, and by so doing, turn it inward out, so that the reader sees the world through her mirror. After all, the greatest tool available to a biographer, are the letters of
Emily
Jul 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel kind of cheated. I'm fascinated with Nin's writing and ideas. I'm interested in her work. I can forgive the solipsism of the diary, since it is, after all, a diary. But I read this collection of writing feeling like I was getting only half the story. Because of legal constraints, the book has been so heavily edited that it makes literally no mention of the man who was her husband for this entire period. Not only does it make for jarring reading (you find yourself reading a gutwrenching mi ...more
Kecia
Jun 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who keeps a journal
Shelves: life_stories, france
I am not certain exactly what I found so compelling about this book but it sucked me right in. It is very dense but I could not put it down and breezed thru it in about a week. There were times when I wanted to yell at Anais to not be so full of herself...but then I remember this is a journal...she's supposed to write her innermost secrets here. I will never think about journaling the same way again.

Spring day: Walking home from the market with the weeks's greens tucked in my canvas bag I stoppe
Janet
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to the work of Anais Nin--the very first volume that fell into my adolescent hands. Anais, with her house in the suburbs of Paris in which every room was painted a different color, and she lived with her husband, and met a man named Henry Miller. In which she investigated the possibility of being a woman writer, of writing things that she knew as a woman, a voice which she had not yet seen in print, completely subjective, Piscean, mutable, veiled.

the unexpurgated diarie
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literary Types
It took me about six months to wade through this book; I finally finished the last 20 painstaking pages this week.

I had to digest the book in small chunks, which was a surprise since I enjoyed reading her "Early Diaries." In her previous books she was youthful, hopeful and full of experimentation. This time I felt that her personality was more fixed and that her appetite for new experiences seemed cold and calculating.

Nin relentlessly persues the new and different. The entries were so visceral
Kate
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the independently wealthy artist
Shelves: shelved
I had to stop reading this book, though i did thoroughly enjoy Nin's lengthy ruminations about life and its general contents. It was not helping me take the giant leap of faith necessary to live my artist life. The woman never had to have a job, all she did was roam around doing things she wanted to do all the time, then writing up beautiful philosophical commentary. Certainly not helpful in boosting my morale as I'm leaping off a cliff, living more like Henry.
Rosa Ramôa
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Eu sou uma pessoa excitável que só entende vida liricamente, musicalmente, em quem sentimentos são muito mais fortes que a razão. Eu estou tão sedenta para o maravilhoso que só o maravilhoso tem poder sobre mim. Qualquer coisa que eu não possa transformar em algo maravilhoso, eu deixo ir. Realidade não me impressiona. Eu só acredito em intoxicação, em êxtase, e quando vida ordinária me algemar, eu escapo, de uma maneira ou de outra. Nenhum muro mais."(Anais Nin)

Danielle
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's her diary. It's all about her. Get over it.
Leilani
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what insight! this woman was my hero until i read the excerpt:

man can never know the loneliness a woman knows. man lies in the woman's womb only to gather strength, he nourishes himself from this fusion, and then he rises and goes into the world, into his work, into battle, into art. he is not lonely. he is busy. the memory of the swim in amniotic fluid gives him energy, completion. woman may be busy too, but she feels empty. sensuality for her is not only a wave of pleasure in which she is bath
Emily Gallagher
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is best to read this while sitting in Les Deux Magots in Paris, sipping coffee, and watching the world go by.
Ciara
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diarists, anais nin obsessives, henry miller obsessives, people who like reading diaries
i bought these books years ago & didn't get around to reading them until the summer of 2007. i mean, i bought them like five years before that & just couldn't get into them. anais nin kept a journal for pretty much her entire life, ever since she emigrated to the united states originally when she was eleven years old. her diary was her life's work, according to her, her publishers, her peers, etc. she actually let her friends read her diaries & sent excerpts around for publication ev ...more
Melanie
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i like these much more than her novels. a beautiful woman. i love her notes about dreams. and one of my favorite quotes: "Anxiety is a woman screaming without a voice," paraphrased because my memory is terrible. ok i'm just going to list some quotes: "But this woman, who could undress at the request of any man, make love with anyone, go to orgies, act as a call girl in a professional house, this Beth told me she found it actually difficult to talk about sex!"
"Far below a rather pale nature, a s
Jessaka
I used to sit in coffee shops with my friends while living in Berkeley in the 70s. I often brought this book along with me to read as I found her journal writing and her life fascinating. I got as far as finishing volume 2 before finally becoming bored.
Nicole D'Settēmi
No book has affected me in the way that this book has. Not a novel, but told more interestingly than most creative writing and fictional work I've read, this diary is the most compelling piece of literature I've ever read.
Nin's language flows beautifully, her descriptions rich, her portraits of "characters," leaving one to always want to know just a little bit more! Her pages on Henry and June, especially June Miller, are so strongly written, she exercises such a inquisitive, inexperienced voice
SallyHaq
Anaïs Nin has a passionate narration of her life.. and I do like her honesty.
Jennie Rogers
"I became more woman."

to speak in symbols, the language of dreams.
Aric Cushing
One of my favorites. Nin can write about a tired old piece of toast and make it beautiful. Seeing history through her lens IS magic.
Maruk
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am Anaïs.
Robin
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book several times. Each time I have come away changed, as if I had just experienced a rite of passage. It, therefore, holds a very special place in my heart.
Michal
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anais Nin was a sensitive writer who truly understood that all life is art. I am mezmerized my her descriptions and radical insights. I would have loved to have known her.
Marianne
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This woman fascinates me, in all her exotic beauty.
Nicole Aviles
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TBHOS BOOK REVIEWS
A Review by Nicole S. Aviles
The Diary of Anais Nin: Volume 1 by Anais Nin

Anais Nin's first adult journal released in the 60's, is one of the most compelling pieces of literature devised in the last century. An intriguing book, highlighting the highs and lows, pathologies, insights, and everyday meanderings of a gifted and talented writer of the 30's; on, this book does NOT disappoint!
This particular diary volume especially, is penned at a deep and profound level, and left an
Cherie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume encompasses her friendship with Henry Miller and his wife June, her complicated relationship with her father, her interest in psychoanalysis and her struggle as an artist. She immensely talks about the self, and her search for the woman, Anais. She writes, "I have always been tormented by the image of multiplicity of selves. Some days I call it richness, and other days I see it as a disease, a proliferation as dangerous as cancer. My first concept about people around me was that all ...more
metaphor
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anais-nin
That is why the writer is the loneliest man in the world; because he lives, fights, dies, is reborn always alone; all his roles are played behind a curtain. In life he is an incongruous figure. To judge a writer it is necessary to have an equal love for writing as for the man.
I am always between two worlds, always in conflict. I would like sometimes to rest, to be at peace, to choose a nook, make a final choice, but I can’t. Some nameless, undescribable fear and anxiety keeps me on the move. O
Crystal
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Anais Nin is absolutely the most fascinating woman I've ever come across. She dazzles intellectuals, has affairs with poets, and becomes psychoanalyst's savior. Nothing about her life was ordinary because she was determined to live, live, live in a big way. And her diary is filled with so much truth. Portraits of people stripped of idealism. Of herself, as well. She describes life as though it is made of poetry and beauty, even its problems. I drank in her every word because I related to her sin ...more
Margaret
Not because I don't like Nin's writing style or her perspective, but there seemed like there was just something a little off in the editing that jumped from one thing to another a little too much, or wouldn't fully explain what was going on. Anais Nin is still definitely on my to read list, but it was a bit difficult as a newbie to see how everything was going to come together.

This was also part of a series of books on diaries, diary keeping, and actual diaries that I read, and was the most his
Krystal Michele
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Whether you have a poetic or an analytic heart, whether you are a writer or a wallflower, bisexual, straight, or a bit of everything, there’s something important to take from these journals. Anaïs is enchanting, not just as a writer.
Goodreads Librari...: Re-Label as Kindle Edition: The Diary of Anais Nin, Vol. 1 2 22 Mar 01, 2014 05:49AM
Anais Nin 7 93 May 04, 2012 12:13AM
  • A Writer's Diary: Being Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf
  • As Consciousness is Harnessed to Flesh: Journals and Notebooks, 1964-1980
  • The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde
  • The Art of Faery
  • My Blue Notebooks: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • Superflirt
  • At Eighty-Two: A Journal
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin

The Diary of Anaïs Nin (7 books)
  • The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 2: 1934-1939

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An American Childhood
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Making Toast
  • Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    $11.99 $2.99
“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” 4788 likes
“You live like this, sheltered, in a delicate world, and you believe you are living. Then you read a book… or you take a trip… and you discover that you are not living, that you are hibernating. The symptoms of hibernating are easily detectable: first, restlessness. The second symptom (when hibernating becomes dangerous and might degenerate into death): absence of pleasure. That is all. It appears like an innocuous illness. Monotony, boredom, death. Millions live like this (or die like this) without knowing it. They work in offices. They drive a car. They picnic with their families. They raise children. And then some shock treatment takes place, a person, a book, a song, and it awakens them and saves them from death. Some never awaken.” 2205 likes