Start by marking “It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  324 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
After falling in love with an incredible view John Mole found himself owning a pile of stones and 20 years of goat dung. With no water, electricity or even a road his family were unamused. This is the warm and funny story of the Mole family's dream of making a home in a whitewashed island house with a blue door near a beach and a taverna, and ending up in a tumbledown ruin ...more
Published August 20th 2004 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It's All Greek to Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's All Greek to Me!

Mariann
Tundub, et kaugeim paik, kus ma käinud olen on Kreeka, niisiis sai see lugemise väljakutse punkt täidetud. Soovituse sain Facebooki grupist ja olen väga rahul. Raamat oleks võinud kirja minna ka kui pööraselt naljakas, sest pean möönma, et kõige lustakamad on lood ikka tõestisündinud.

John Mole on oma rahvusvahelise karjääri tõttu maailmas palju ringi rännanud, kuid südamesse jäi tal Kreeka. Hetke (ja alkoholi) ajel ostis ta ühelt külamehelt varemetes maja mahajäetud külas ning asus seda üles vun
David
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable book and one that I shall doubtlessly – before too long – add to the mere handfull of books that I've read more than once. I've been travelling to Greece for some 11 or 12 years and John Mole's tale of building a life for himself and his family on the island of Evia is rich in both familiarity and self-deprecating humour, as well as giving the answers to all sorts of little questions about Greek life that I've pondered for ages. Highly recommended.
Andrea
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read about Greece while in Greece for a holiday! Well-wriiten, funny, relatable.
Danuta
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just returned from a very enjoyable vacation! This book took me back home, back to one of my homelands, always remaining so very close to my heart. Felt the sun, heard τζιτζίκια (cicadas), tasted feta, olives, sipped ouzo and retsina and devoured souvlakia and κοκορέτσι. So my rating might be bias but it is a great story filled with funny and more serious stories, all of them full of laughter. Very enjoyable and easy read with some profoundly accurate observations: “One of the first lessons of l ...more
Kakia
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It was such a funny book! I read it cover to cover not only because it had to do with my native land, but also because the writer had such a skill of describing in such a funny way his relationship with his wife.
Demetrelli
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Simply hilarious but also managing to portray accurately and vividly the Greek countryside of the years between 1970 and 1980.
bookinglibrarian
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully entertaining account of a British family in Greece and the father's adventures in restoring an old house with the advice and assistance of a colorful cast of Greek neighbors. It should be in the expat travel pantheon of Peter Mayle and Frances Mayes (but even funnier.)
Janet Ellis
Having visited Greece a number of times and met so many interesting characters on our visits, I hoped this book would be a way of reliving some of our experiences. It was however, all too predictable and the humour not particularly funny. A great shame; just not the book for me.
Michelle
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
What happens when an expat Brit impulsively buys a dilapidated goat pen with twenty years of excrement covering it as a house in Greece for his family? What family would even tolerate such a suggestion? This book chronicles the very unromantic reality of making a dream (run away and live on a Greek island) come true. There are inevitable clashes of culture that make for some pretty wild misunderstandings at times, some really funny, others a bit shocking. The author very capably shares how idiot ...more
Mark Kavanagh
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The subtitle `A tale of a mad dog and an Englishman, ruins, retsina - and real greeks` sums it up nicely.

This is a highly readable tale of John Mole's conversion of a stone ruin on the island of Evia into a family home. Purchased in a haze of local whisky and, initially at least, with casual disregard for legal formalities (the `contract` was created in the local cafenion on a page torn from an exercise book), the ruin is gradually tamed until it's fit to move his f
Philip Whiteland
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really well written memoir which manages to avoid the 'don't foreigners do the funniest things' trap by demonstrating a real appreciation and understanding of a culture and people. You might sometimes shake your head in wonder at the choices made by the author, but you have to give full marks for determination and grit! Do be warned, there are some rather gruesome accounts related to getting your food from an agricultural perspective (to put it politely) but this all ties in with the d ...more
Beth
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a fun and quick book, I enjoyed it! It was interesting to read the author's exploits about living in Greece and building his 'dream' house in Greece. Having been to Greece many times (and having dated a native Greek who lived in Greece for a couple years), I could relate to some of the customs, beliefs, ways of life, and general cultural antics of the Greeks. Some of the stories made me laugh out loud (especially when the pet dog "turned to concrete") while others made me cringe. All in ...more
Ala
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for all the positive reviews, expecting it to be a great, hilarious read. Overall, it is a fairly quick one to read and rather enjoyable, with an all-British sense of humour, although not as funny as I'd hoped. How John Mole's marriage and family survived this experience is amazing ... even questionable at times, which makes me believe the whole thing was highly glamourized. I wouldn't recommend it to people of Greek descent and/or who actually know Greece. My mum is Greek and ...more
Paula Weisberger
Finally finished the last of 3 memoirs about living in Greece that I bought before my trip to Greece this summer, and probably my favorite. The British author and his wife and four kids literally renovated a goat shack on an island. He painted a great, and often funny, picture of what it would be like to be immersed in life in a little Greek village " with no road, no water, no electricity, no roof, no floor, no doors, no windows, and twenty years of goat dung." I especially liked his second to ...more
Kwame Webb
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a darling and enchanting book that I read while in Greece. Mole perfectly summarizes the outsider's view of Greek life. In Mole's portrayal, petty feuds seemingly last forever while grave insults are forgotten by dinner-time. He offers excellent humor regarding the foibles of assimilating his British family to Greek island life. This is an excellent travel read and piece of escapist fiction.
Mark Haberfield
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly entertaining and amusing read with the added bonus of feeling that reading this book was also educational in modern Greek language and culture plus some ancient Greek history and mythology. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence" or Bill Bryson travel books. Despite the title, the mad dog is fortunately a small part of the book, which was hard to put down and I was sorry when I reached the end!
Lisa Corathers
Well, I'm quite amazed that the author's marriage survived intact, let alone his life, after he bought a VERY dilapidated house on a Greek island without conferring first with his wife. Some of the adventures in Greek home ownership were quite amusing, but the narrative was far cruder than, say, Peter Mayle's "A Year in Province" or Frances Mayes "Under the Tucscan Sun".
Terra
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
My husband read this book first and highly recommended it to me, and for good reason; lots of funny parts, explanations of the terribly difficult building of their home upon the ruined house they bought, nice portraits of his neighbors in the village, descriptions of feasts featuring roast lamb on a spit, the local ouzo, superstitions, and much more.
Bridget
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Light and amusing. Perhaps worthy of 3.5 stars more than four, but considering that it made me chuckle several times during an air travel experience that was otherwise not filled with occasions for laughter - and featured two babies with a talent for piercing screams - I'll round up. It's a good beach book.
Joshua Hodges
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is absolutely hilarious -- so funny that at times you'll wonder if Mole's telling the truth. The excellent comedic timing makes this book totally worth it, especially if you have been to Greece. Fantastic travel writing. I picked up the book just to pass the time on the plane and I could not put it down.
Dimitris
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book about Greece, back in time when Greece was much simpler (I won't say better). His writing is so simple and you can read whole pages without getting tired. I liked the fact that he was able to make some research about names, legends, traditions and food, I didn't know a lot of that stuff.
I totally recommend it but please, don't expect to find most of that stuff in Greece anymore.
Robin
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this, my wife and I had just moved into our newly built house in Molyvos, Lesvos. So many of his experiences had direct parallels to our house building experience, and we laughed until we cried.

I loved the style and would recommend to all who love Greece or are just dreaming of a new life abroad.
Paul
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A light hearted book about John and his family living in Greece.

He finds a ruined property that he decides to buy without consulting his wife! Or four children and this book is about the way that he repaired, renovated and rebuilt this with the help of the locals.

Mole writes with a witty self depreciating style, and it is quite funny in parts.
Luci
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this one quite a bit but I also enjoyed the movie "National Lampoon's European Vacation". While this book isn't nearly as madcap as that movie, this book pretty much captures life in a small Greek village (I am a first generation Greek so I can vouch for Mole's accuracy. He talks about rebuilding his house, his family and his new neighbors in a humorous and loving way. A fun, fast read.
Miriam
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! One of the best of this type of book: intrepid foreigner moves to folkloric Mediterranean village. Intelligent, accurate -- as far as my experience goes -- and very funny. I laughed out loud.
Chelsea
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, primarily for it's honest portrayal of life in the 1980's backwater Greece. It was beautiful, disturbing, alluring and off putting all at once. I never want to live there, but the picture John Mole painted was still compelling. A great read!
Jessica
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Funny and quick read, and especially enjoyable after having just spent 2 weeks in (semi) rural Greece. Mole provides good character sketches of his Greek neighbors and fellow villagers, and his comparisons of Greek vs. British mentality is witty and self-deprecating.
Nikos Skantzos
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Funny account of the greek culture and habbits within a local village in Evia. Greek hospitality, superstition, cunning minds, the evil eye, the greek language... the author enjoys struggling with all these. Very enjoyable
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This was a fun, quick read and I enjoyed John Mole's "adventures" in Greece very much. Although I've never visited Greece before, I found that the Greek way of life & customs do resemble life in the Balearics a lot so this was not "all Greek to me" after all;)
Tina Perantonakis
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I could not get past the sexist language that Mole used to describe Greek women, and his condescending tone towards the Greeks and their culture.
  • Dinner with Persephone: Travels in Greece
  • North of Ithaka: A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots
  • Spanish Lessons: Beginning a New Life in Spain
  • Pasquale's Nose: Idle Days in an Italian Town
  • Ripe for the Picking (Italy series, #2)
  • The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society
  • A House in Corfu
  • Minu Hispaania. Läbi maailma iseendani (Minu..., # 3)
  • Minu Eesti. Mida sa tahad? 2.osa (Minu..., # 27)
  • Minu Ameerika 2. Ülestähendusi unelmatemaalt 2003-2007 (Minu..., # 2)
  • A Castle in the Backyard: The Dream of a House in France
  • Nomad's Hotel: Travels in Time and Space
  • The Wrong Way Home
  • One Hit Wonderland
  • On Persephone's Island: A Sicilian Journal
  • Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy
  • Mediterranean Winter: The Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia and the Peloponnese
  • Very Charleston: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Lowcountry Charm
John Mole, born in 1945, is an author of comic novels, business guides, and business/travel memoirs.

More about John Mole...

“One of the first lessons of life in Greece is that everything is difficult and nothing is impossible.” 3 likes
“It was my first dead body and I waited for the appropriate feelings. I didn't know what feelings to expect, which was worse than realising that I had none.” 1 likes