Start by marking “Dead City” as Want to Read:
Dead City

Dead City (Dead World #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  5,562 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
Texas? Toast.

Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying—but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life—with an insatiable hunger f
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2011 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead City

Lucy
Oh, zombie books, how I love you and how you hurt me. Some of the worst books I've read this year have been zombie books. Apparently walking dead allows you to substitute out character development, which is such a shame because I believe the best character development can come out of stressful life or death situations. You can get right down to the core of a character with simple actions at the right moments. Maybe I'm looking for too much from the genre.

Dead City is a first person POV told by a
Dirk Grobbelaar
I half expected every step to carry me over the edge of a cliff. It was like there was a big coiled snake moving slowly through my gut. I wanted to sit down and rest, to let the sick feeling inside me pass, but I knew I couldn’t. I still had miles to go before that could happen.

I would normally shun zombie fiction in much the same way I shun the new commercial vampire fiction. However, with Halloween around the corner and having enjoyed The Walking Dead I decided to give this a try.

They all move
Rhiannon Frater
I absolutely loved this book and devoured it within days. First off,
the plot is not only realistic (a man trying to get to his family), but full of non-stop action, kick ass zombie gore, and fantastic characterization. It was very hard to put this book down and get some sleep at night. I was so hooked it was hard not to keep reading to find out what came next.

Joe McKinney is a real life police officer (he is a homicide detective) and fellow Texan. He brings the flavor of Texas to the novel and
Joe
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans, zombie fans
Dead City was my first book. When I sat down to write it, I was thinking of how tenuous our hold on civilization really is. We like to think of ourselves as flexible, resilient, adaptable, and as a species I think we are. But the veneer of our civilization, well, that's another story. As a police officer on the S.A.P.D.'s Critical Incident Management Team I was trained in disaster-mitigation. I saw firsthand the destruction left behind in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, not to mention a score of ...more
Paul
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels like zombies are absolutely everywhere these days. We have not just one but multiple t.v. shows featuring our rotting, brain craving friends. There’s a wealth of zombie merchandise available for those who can’t get enough of the living dead. Dead City, published in 2006, is the first in a series of novels chronicling the (some would say inevitable) zombie apocalypse.

Nobody is ever going to call this book Literature with a capital L but I really enjoyed it. The main protagonist was belie
Wendy
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely enjoyed this book. I stayed up late into the night to finish it because I did not want to put it down.

I enjoyed the fact that the author even made us think about the ethical side of zombies. What if zombies were living human beings who had caught a virus and turned into cannibalistic killers? That is the question that we are left to consider after reading this book.

Over all a great read and I am really looking forward to more books by this author.
Karl
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Men Walking.

In 2003 Robert Kirkman gave the world the story of Rick Grimes, a sheriff’s deputy who finds the world plagued by the undead. Upon returning home from the hospital, he finds his house ransacked and his wife and son gone . While trying to adapt to life in this new world and searching for his missing wife and son, he comes across a group of survivors – this is pretty much the first six issues of the Walking Dead comic and the first season of the T. V. show by the same name.

Publis
Kasia
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It occurred to me that while I have seen zombie films I haven't read a book about them even thought my shelf has a few books on that topic all ready. Dead City was my first step into that horror genre and I can say that I will definitely be paying more attention to any books of this kind in the future.

The author was a police officer from what I understand and that proved to be handy when he crafted Eddie Hudson, a San Antonio police officer whose bad day was turning worse. In this tale the Texas
Kat
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie, 2012-read
You know how clothing addicts have those 'I've nothing to wear!!!' tantrums whilst standing in front of an overflowing wardrobe? Well the other day I had a similar moment, replacing the wardrobe with my bookshelf, stamping my feet and saying 'I've nothing to read - I want zombies!!!!'. So I picked up my trusty e-reader and Dead City caught my eye.

Dead City is what I call a proper zombie book. Why? Because its action packed, gory, scary and creepy, the main characters are tough but flawed and peo
Real Dead Review
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie Lovers
Shelves: zombie-stuff
Dead City by Joe McKinney is an action packed zombie novel and a strong first novel. Dead City has all the action you could want out of a zombie book and the main character is pretty well fleshed out. If Dead City has any true weakness, it's the lack of depth in the setting and the story may be a little bit too straight forward.

The story follows Eddie, a San Antonio cop, as tries to survive the zombie hordes and tries to get home to his Wife and child. Along the way he has to overcome some hard
  • Dying to Live (Dying to Live, #1)
  • Eden
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Dead Sea
  • Thunder and Ashes (Morningstar Strain #2)
  • Down the Road
  • The Infection
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • The City (Autumn, #2)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Zombie CSU
  • Flu (Flu, #1)
52047
Joe McKinney has been a patrol officer for the San Antonio Police Department, a homicide detective, a disaster mitigation specialist, a patrol commander, and a successful novelist. His books include the four part Dead World series, Quarantined and Dodging Bullets. His short fiction has been collected in The Red Empire and Other Stories and Dating in Dead World and Other Stories. For more informati ...more
More about Joe McKinney...

Dead World (5 books)
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • Dead World Resurrection (Dead World, #4.5)
“... Have you considered that maybe this is the birth of a new world, that what happens next is a golden opportunity to change the nature of man in a fundamental way?”
“Those are brave words, Tiresias.”
“New parents can’t afford to be anything but brave, Eddie.”
5 likes