Start by marking “Double Whammy” as Want to Read:
Double Whammy

Double Whammy

(Skink #1)

“Follow the adventures of a news-photographer-turned-private-eye as he seeks truth, justice, and an affair with his ex-wife” (The New York Times) in this hilarious caper from bestselling author Carl Hiaasen.

R.J. Decker, star tenant of the local trailer park and neophyte private eye is fishing for a killer. Thanks to a sportsman’s scam that’s anything but sportsmanlike, the
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Double Whammy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Whammy

Jeffrey Keeten
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As he pushed past the screen door, Decker was amazed by what he saw: books. Every wall had raw pine shelves to the ceiling, and every shelf was lined with books. The east wall was for classic fiction: Poe, Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, Mark Twain, Jack London, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, even Boris Pasternak. The west wall for political biographies: Churchill, Sandburg’s Lincoln, Hitler, Huey Long, Eisenhower, Joseph McCarthy, John F. Kennedy, even Robert Caro’s Lyndon Johnson, though it looked like a book- ...more
Matthew
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of goofy mysteries
Shelves: 2018, borrowed, humor, mystery
If you have read Hiaasen before, you know his mysteries are in Florida and you know that they are weird. This was his second book and I can confirm this pattern has been in place since the beginning! This book is irreverent and bizarre. Some things make no sense while at the same time making perfect sense (make sense?). If you cannot suspend disbelief for a while, you are gonna get lost in the gator swamp with this one.

Everyone in a Hiaasen book is a caricature and I think that is one of the thi
Steve
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever had the urge to learn everything you can about bass fishing? Well, neither have I, but I did learn quite a bit while reading this satirical, hysterical thriller. This one takes place in Florida, in the small town of Harney.

R.J. Decker, a down-on-his-luck ex-con and private investigator, is in Harney, having been hired by Dennis Gault, a wealthy bass fishing aficionado, who is convinced that champion fisherman and host of a popular weekly bass fishing show on the Outdoor Christian N
Algernon
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
[7/10]
My second Carl Hiaasen book. After Stormy Weather I decided I want to delve more into the background of Captain Skink, the most interesting character in the book, so I went back to his debut in Double Whammy . I ended up learning more about bayou fishing than I thought possible given my near total lack of interest in the sport. I hold Hiaasen responsible for tranforming this placid and frankly boring pastime into a frenzied and deadly chase (I imagine the trailer for the book with a so
Kristen
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
This is officially the Hiaasen book that has proved his genius to me. Never in my wildest imagination would I have guessed that I would not only read a book about bass fishing, but that I would also enjoy it. This book, bass and all, was a hysterically funny who-done-it of the highest caliber. Pro-Sports fishermen are dropping dead, a renegade photographer/PI has been hired to prove there are cheaters in the Bass Tournaments, a loveable crazy hermit turns out to be more than meets the eye. This ...more
David
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: roadkill-eating ex-politicians, murderous sports fishermen, Florida TV preachers
Carl Hiaasen makes Florida sound like one dangerously crazy place. This 1987 mystery revolves around the world of bass sports fishing. The protagonist, a man named Decker, is a former photographer turned private investigator who has been hired by a rich man to catch his rival, a big-name bass fisherman, cheating. Apparently most of the big-name bass fisherman cheat in competitive fishing tournaments, and the rich guy has become obsessed with a celebrity who has his own cable TV show.

Decker, howe
aPriL does feral sometimes
Murder is often dumb as well as horrific, something the author Carl Hiaasen knows very well. By reading his local newspaper closely, he has been able to mine it for those delicious stories of Florida mayhem for which he is now famous. If you ask me, the stories almost write themselves. However, Hiaasen is able to add those fictional touches which makes the horrific murderous stupidity behind many of the crimes fun. Truth can be stranger than fiction, especially in the State of Florida.

'Double Wh
Dimitri
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fact is stranger than fiction. In Carl Hiaasen's case, this may be up for debate. His fiction surely flavours fact. As an ecological champion native to Florida, he writes what he has lived. Among his multiple protagonists, at least one will be employed in the field of journalism and serve as the straight man.

These are not heroes: they are swept away into a never-ending parade of Sunshine State oddballs who might be your neighbour: the mysantrophic retiree in the overpriced condo, the immigrant
LATOYA JOVENA
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Miami. I love watching tv shows about Miami, being in Miami, and reading books about Miami. The imagery in this book takes me there. This book gets an automatic 2 stars just for that.

The beginning is an introduction of one white male after another and their generic names make them hard to sort out. Then Hiaasen bravely shows the blatant racism that happens in the old boys' club of the south.

The plot is solid. There is cliffhanger after cliffhanger that kept me turning pages.
Thomas Strömquist
The second 'on his own' book features the first appearance of 'Skink', the former mayor! The book is in the vein of the predecessor, Tourist Season, but with more of everything. Very much more of fishing, unfortunately. But that is also the only reason for the lost star. Other than that, it is just what you expect. Only more!
✨Susan✨
Another funny romp through the Everglades with, bat crazy, "Skink", the ex-Govenor of Florida. Skink is determined to help a detective who is investigating a possible bass fishing heist. The detective is unsure of this cantankerous, ill humored, homeless guy, but he seems to have some answers that may help him solve his case. Skink is one of a kind, crazy smart and possibly the most offensive character I have read about, but I love his deranged and nutty adventures. I learned a lot about bass fi ...more
ALLEN
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1989 novel has all the right ingredients, and it is VERY funny. A panoply of ignorant tourists, gorgeous babes, and large-mouth bass fisherman (one VERY corrupt) must contend with a very intelligent black State Policeman and a crusading journalist in this classic Carl Hiaasen satire. If you're new to Hiaasen, this is a good book to start with. It's also "Skink's" first appearance in a Hiassen novel.
James
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Florida fiction readers
As an avid fisherman and native Floridian this was a great read! Hiaasen created one of the most memorable characters in Skink the former Gov and a whole cast that only he could put together. There are some scenes that he describes that had me crying with laughter. Anyone who likes fishing and/or Florida and/or laughing and/or fun needs to read this book. I would imagine that everyone should have a copy of Double Whammy on their shelf.
Ensiform
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hot-headed private detective R. J. Decker is hired to prove that TV host Dickie Lockhart cheats to win fortunes in Florida bass-fishing tournaments. Decker soon finds out that the stakes are so high people are willing to kill to keep secrets, but he finds an ally in an apparently deranged, roadkill-eating hermit who calls himself Skink, as well as a couple of honest cops. Adding to the cast are a trio of moron hillbillies, an amoral hottie who seduces Decker and helps frame him for murder, and t ...more
Kay
I'd saved this library-sale paperback for a proverbial rainy day -- and so when I came down with my inevitable fall cold, I patted myself on the back for having just the right thing to distract me from sneezing and sniffling. Hiaasen has long been a favorite of mine; his jaundiced view of modern America (more specifially, Florida) dovetails with mine, not to mention his somewhat perverse sense of humor.

Certain things you'll always find in a Carl Hiaasen novel:
- a likeable, down-on-his-luck hero
Tim
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm used to more humor and less scheming by Hiaasen than is presented here. I found this less enjoyable than many of his other novels. 4 of 10 stars
Keri
3.5 Stars

Well, going into this book, as much as I love Carl Hiaasen’s quirky characters, I just didn’t see how he was going to get me to want to read a book about Bass fishing. Even my mad love for Skink and his damn shower cap,(I have had many hot wet dreams about him and that shower cap), wasn’t going to keep my interest. But of course I was wrong. I mean the first 1/3 of the book was getting the mechanics down on profession bass fishing tournaments, but once you threw in a couple of murders,
Brian
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a Hiaasen novel where the characters are not larger than life, and in a very unique way amazingly real! Mr. Hiaasen has a way of writing novels that are not overly complex, that are peopled with characters that seem too crazy to be true, and yet he brings it all together in a very satisfying way that usually teaches the reader something about the human condition, and our world.
Plus, he is funny!
"Double Whammy" is a fine example of these traits.
Private eye R.J. Decker has a chec
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Rating: 4.5
Listened to the Audiobook Narrated by: George Wilson

Surprisingly good.

Didn't know the author, just saw the book on a Daily Deal, and it contained elements of bass fishing (an interest of mine).

The story ended up not being about the bass fishing itself for most parts, but simply using it as a stage for the actual story line.

I think even if you know nothing or care nothing for fishing, you can still enjoy this book.

He has some awesome characters. Each one as entertaining as the next.

The
Yvensong
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hiaasen fans
I've read a few other books by Hiaasen, and really liked them. This one was a little less enjoyable for me because I couldn't build any interest up in the bass-fishing aspect of the novel.

One of my favorite characters, Skink, kept me interested as well the detective-noir aspect. This is the novel which introduces Skink, who subsequently appears in several other Hiaasen novels.

The main character, Decker, is your classic P.I. with a questionable history; and in steps the femme fatale, who will eit
Lance Carney
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Carl Hiaasen since his first, Tourist Season. Before we were married, my wife heard him talk at a Journalism convention and Tourist Season had just come out. She bought it and we both read it. I read Double Whammy on our honeymoon. Excellent book. His books always make me laugh out loud (no small feat). Later my wife sent the book off to Carl Hiaasen and surprised me for my birthday. When I opened the cover I found written "To Lance, Best wishes from Florida! Carl Hiaasen 12 ...more
Mike
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Hiaasen and I wasn't disappointed...great, quirky characters and a borderline insane plot with plenty of laugh out loud moments. At his best, he compares to Joe Lansdale which I consider a huge compliment to Hiaasen. I definitely will be reading more.
Julia DeBarrioz
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: florida
This book was so brilliant I don't even know where to start. I don't give 5 stars lightly, but this was really a masterpiece. It was hilariously funny at every turn, filled with grit and whimsy and wonderful south FLA characters. It utterly lampoons the bass fishing industry yet without impugning the beauty of the pure sport or the fish themselves.

The main character, Decker, is great, a tough-guy photographer with a soft spot for his ex wife, but I feel the real star of the show was Skink the h
Pamela
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. This is classic Hiaasen...or maybe even better than classic Hiassen. It's got everything: crooked bass fishermen, honest bass fishermen, a crazy preacher complete with his own mega-church, cable network, and largest bass tournament ever, dumb rednecks, smart rednecks, vicious rednecks, good rednecks, good cops, bad cops, and, if that weren't enough, there's even the kitchen sink. (Actually it's a bathroom sink, but why split hairs?)

If you are a bass fisherman, know a bass fisherman, or ever
Mike French
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't get any better than this!!! Double Whammy ranks right up with favorites from Dan Jenkins. If you haven't read any Carl Hiaasen, you had better start. You owe it to yourself!
Chuck
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carl Hiaasen is always funny, outlandish and over the top. Laugh-out-loud lines in this book. His environmentalism/liberalism biases can be a bit overbearing at times, but it's well worth the read.
Garrison Kelly
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the always wacky state of Florida, RJ Decker is a private investigator trying to make ends meet and his latest assignment fetches a high price. He’s assigned by an arrogant sports fisherman named Dennis Gault to catch his rival Dickie Lockhart cheating in a high stakes fishing tournament. What seems like an easy assignment quickly escalates into a murder conspiracy involving a psychotic eco-terrorist, a seductive blackmailer, and a shady televangelist to name a few. Nobody is safe from this c ...more
Jeff
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a few favourite authors - Martin O'Brien, Lee Child, and Tim Weaver to name three. I always get very excited when I hear that one of them has a new book coming out. I'll put it in my diary and head out to the bookshop on the day of publication. The author who tops this list though is Carl Hiaasen.

We were in Florida just recently visiting friends who live near Jacksonville. I popped along to Books-a-Million just to have my first look around an American bookshop and thought I'd buy myself
Michael
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Hiaasen's literary creation, The Miami Sun, will soon run out of staff if they all continue to leave the paper to become private detectives.

In Tourist Season that happened with reporter Brian Keyes and in Double Whammy it happened again with photographer R.J. Decker, known affectionately by his ex wife as Rage, with good reason.

I have read most of Hiaasen's books and just recently found the first two in his environmental mystery genre, Tourist Season published in 1986 and in this novel pub
Heather Deyrieux
Carl never disappoints. As "Bad Monkey" is aka "Yancy - Part 1" and "Razor Girl" is aka "Yancy - Part 2" then "Double Whammy" should be "Pre-Yancy". Yancy is not part of the cast in this book but several favorites from the other books do get their start here. Nice to learn more of their back story.
Very entertaining! 2 25 Jan 19, 2015 03:55PM
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • North of Havana (Doc Ford Mystery, #5)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida, he joined the Miami Herald as a general assignment reporter and went on to work for the newspaper’s weekly magazine and prize-winning investigations team. As a journalist and author, Carl has spent most of his life advocating for the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family live in southern ...more

Skink (7 books)
  • Native Tongue (Skink, #2)
  • Stormy Weather
  • Sick Puppy
  • Skinny Dip
  • Star Island (Skink, #6)
  • Skink--No Surrender (Skink #7)
“You from the IRS? The man's voice was deep and wet, like mud slipping down a drain.” 3 likes
“My roommate is a 240-pound homicidal hermit. For dinner he’s fixing me a dead fox he scraped off the highway near Ponchatoula, and after that we’re taking a leaky tin boat out on a windy lake to spy on some semi-retarded fishermen. Don’t you wish you were here?” 1 likes