Start by marking “The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  176,354 Ratings  ·  3,229 Reviews
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages.

And it is stolen.
Published November 17th 2009 by Hachette Digital (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Hunt, please sign up.

R. Fox The author was an admitted freemason and there is quite a lot out there on allusions to it in the series, including use of its symbols. I'm fairly…moreThe author was an admitted freemason and there is quite a lot out there on allusions to it in the series, including use of its symbols. I'm fairly ignorant of freemasonry, but at least that much is discussed in all the biographical information you can find on the author and the series.(less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
2/1/16: Day 1 of WoT #2 buddy (re)read in BB&B !

We're only reading one book per month, so if you want to jump in, you've got plenty of time to squeeze in The Eye of the World and still participate.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank y
Bookdragon Sean
This was no where near as good as the first novel in the series; it completely lacked the initial plot driver that its predecessor wielded. Previously, the innocent, and young, protagonists were taken away from their homes as they were forced to flee for their lives. I wanted to find out exactly why this was going on; thus, I stormed through it. Instead, this premise of this book is Rand attempting to escape from his destiny, which, of course, is pure folly because one does not escape fate: one ...more
Markus
“And it shall come to pass that what man made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide...
Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gna
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Loved this one even more than the first book in the series! The world-building is so rich and vast, and the characters are very compelling. This book was so good, I was almost grateful for my hospital time, since it gave me more time to read! (See, there's always a silver lining!)

Also, as of this book, Nynaeve has officially surpassed Moiraine as my favorite Wheel of Time character!

FULL REVIEW TO COME
Robin (Bridge Four)
If you’ve read a few reviews by me you might know that I’m a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. This is one reason that 2016 is the year of the Wheel for me since Sanderson finished out this series. As I move along in this series I can see how BS got some of his roots from Jordan. They distinctively have different voices to be sure but one of the reasons I’m enjoying The Wheel of Time series is because of the intricate world building that is going on and the layers that are being set up.

This book i
Liam Degnan
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn"

A Full Five Stars: ✰✰✰✰✰.

This book really did it for me. In The Eye of the World, Jordan spends a lot of time laying foundations for the characters, and for the plot as a whole, which made for a very slow experience that required a lot of patience. The worldbuilding and character development, while still very good, was done at an extremely g
Argona
What a book! What an amazing journey! Such an epic ending!*Takes calming breaths* I loved this book even more than the first one in the series!

“The Great hunt” begins exactly where “The Eye of the World” left off. So much happens in this second book! I was locked in suspense for the entirety of this novel, especially at the end.

New forces with monstrous creatures and terrible weapons emerge out of seemingly nowhere and shake the foundation of nations.

New threats are added to the old ones. The Da
Nimrod Daniel
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Significantly better than book 1 in almost every aspect. One of the most enjoyable books I've read this year :)

Review to come.

4.5-4.75/5
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This picked up right after the end happenings of The Eye of the World. Rand and his group of friends have found the legendary Horn of Valere. Unfortunately it is quickly stolen by Darkfriends. It must be found before the Last Battle with the Dark One!

The story started a little slow but definitely got more and more engaging as it progressed. Rand, Mat, and Perrin were on the quest for the Horn and I thought their journey was an interesting one. Egwene and Nynaeve started the Aes Sadai training a
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in the series, some people complain there are some influences of J.R.R. Tolkien in the first book; this book is where Robert Jordan found his own voice.

For the first time in centuries The Great Hunt is called; its purpose is to find the legendary Horn of Valere which calls the greatest heroes of all times to the battle yet again. Countless number of people wander around looking for it. Rand and company know exactly where the Horn is, but they might have trouble reaching it. It d
Alex
Jan 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if the first book in this series diminished somewhat outside the cozy light of memory, this second book absolutely withers away. The plot is listless, its tension flagging between points that are only interesting by comparison. And the characters refuse to evolve. That is, they are all still hung up on the same issues they had at the beginning of the first book, even though they've been through fairly earth-shattering experiences in the intervening pages. I mean, why is Nynaeve still schem ...more
Vagner Stefanello
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Contém alguns spoilers do livro anterior.

E não é que tudo pode mudar de um livro para outro? Eu não tinha gostado muito de O Olho do Mundo, mas A Grande Caçada superou muito as expectativas. Li essa sequência por insistência de muitos amigos leitores e também por ter percebido, na obra anterior, que a série do Jordan tinha um bom futuro, mesmo que no 1º livro tudo tenha sido feito de um modo que eu acabei não gostando tanto, cheio de passagens que que
Choko
*** 5 ***

This book and this series never Ever disappoints! It is magical, bewitching, enthralling, intricate, thought and emotion inducing, addiction promoting, and all together superior to almost any other series I have ever read... !!!

Yep, this is the reason I can not write a review on any of the books in this series. I get into it and then I turn into an absolute and total fan-girl and only superlatives of wonderfulness jump from my brain... It is not that I think the book is perfect (ooo,
Ashley
Objectively for me (which I realize is a contradictory statement), this is a three star book. It has some major problems. But . . . I just can’t resist the siren call of an immersive fantasy world, and unlike the first book in the series, which failed to capture my imagination, this one did. So I’m giving it the fourth star, for the potential I see in the series, and for giving me that good old fantasy world buzz.

First, the good stuff, the most notable thing being that this book actually felt li
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
This was a wonderful installment in what I can already see is going to become one of my favourite series of all time.

I had a much better experience with this one than the first book; I only read seven other books in the time it took me to get through this, compared with the twenty-six I went through in my adventure to get through the first book.

No spoilers – because I know a bunch of you are yet to experience the wonder of this and I don’t want to ruin anything for you.

Character run down:

Rand
Kaila
The tone of the series really changes with this second installment. It goes from following a few country bumpkins on their first wide-eyed adventure into the world, to what we know and love the Wheel of Time for - a sprawling epic covering an entire continent. From the prologue, we're suddenly bombarded with the styles and personalities of all the diverse regions of the land, and though it will be hammered home so we always know what Jordan is talking about, we're also expected to start remember ...more
Maryam
Well, it now starts to come together. Boo one was a little bit boring and confusing for my liking but to my surprise I didn’t find it long. It is very rare that I enjoy a book longer than 500 pages but recently it happened more than once, not sure if it’s me or the books. Kidding, for sure it’s the good books.

The story begins right where the first book finished.Rand accompanies his two friend along with a Shienarian army to retrieve the horn from dark friends. Nynaeve and Egwene are going to Whi
Angela
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think this series, so far, is presenting me with the hardest time I've ever had writing my reviews. I want to talk, and all that seems to be ready to come out is: "OMG! IT'S AMAZING!!!! READ IT NOW!!!!! I CAN'T STOP!!!!!!

I resorted to bullet points in my last review, and I'm not even sure that can help this time. So bear with me while I spew out whatever I can manage to get out. If you haven't started this series, just go to my review of The Eye of the World and GO START THIS AMAZING SERIES.

Th
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a tough decision I think fantasy writers face: What requires detail and what will the reader's imagination run with?

Another view: Do you trust your readers to be able to fill in the details?

Someone -- I think Neil Gaiman -- once said that Gene Wolfe's writing makes his readers feel smarter. It's because Wolfe trusts his readers to pay attention and to fill in the blanks.

How do "The Wheel of Time" books hold up to this approach?

It's a little inconsistent.

When it comes to winds, cultural tr
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
Georgia Johnston
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK, the first one is good, you will be fooled but it's a looooong series that follows and all the little things that start to grate on you snowball until they drive you crazy and you realize you have wasted days on a series you can never finish without blowing your brains out. Genders are horribly typecast - the women are all horribly bad tempered, impatient and all henpecking know-it-all's (one can't help thinking that the author's wife must be a nightmare to have left him ne ...more
Miche
I struggled with the first half of this book, as once again the plot was driven by heroes making stupid decisions. That was my complain about the first book and I was very disappointed when I saw he was following the same formula at this one. This is a big pet peeve of mine and at that point I was considering abandoning the book and the series. I am glad I persisted, as the last half of the book was pretty amazing. I am now totally invested at the characters, even the ones that drive me insane w ...more
Hasham Rasool
I feel great to come back reading 'The Wheel of Time.' I love this book so much Alhamdulillah!

I am hooking in 'The Wheel of Time.' I think it might will take me a long time to complete this series.
Veronica Morfi
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5/5

I can't believe I finished this one. It took forever but I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to start the next one.

No full review will come because that will take me forever too. ;)
Rob
Executive Summary: Not quite as good as the first book, but still quite enjoyable, especially on this reread. I think I enjoyed it more the second time because I was in on all the secrets and foreshadowing this time.

Audiobook: Excellent as expected. There are more female POV chapters in this book than their were in The Eye of the World, so it's a little more evenly balanced between Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. Both do a great job. The hours just fly by.

Full Review
My original review talked
JAIME
I really feel like Mr Jordan hits his stride with this book. Compared to Book 1 (The Eye of the World) this story feels more effortless - like he wasn't just connecting specific events together anymore - the entire story was an event.

Needs more Lan.

Maybe not quite 5 stars, because, too many characters. Close enough though. I'll try to do an actual review, but, life.
Jonathan

And so concludes my first re-read of the second book of The Wheel of Time which I rate as my greatest epic fantasy series read to date. Although if The Malazan Book of the Fallen continues as the first book has promised it might be right up there as well. Of course nothing beats The Lord of the Rings as my favourite epic fantasy novel/and tied favourite novel but that's a different story. As seen in my review of the first book The Eye of the World I love how it's such a sprawling organic world.
Brandi
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, male-lead
I'm not writing a review for this either, but here's a few notes:

1) I can't wrap my head around the imagination, and dedication, required for this series.

2) Matt is pissing me off so much that I almost want him to die. What does he not understand about keeping his mouth shut about certain things? He makes me want to punch him almost every time he's on screen.

3) I thought it would really annoy me if there wasn't resolution to the main conflict, but it turns out that the building of the story is
Letha
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Diehards
This book, which I read to pass on key scenes for calendar illustration concepts to my graphic designer partner, was a somewhat enjoyable but fairly frustrating read. For several significant reasons the book never really hits a truly connected stride with it's reader, and I ended it on a ambivalent note --- not really satisfied, not really disappointed, knowing I will likely forget the book within a few weeks of having read it.

There are too many main characters, and our main man (Rand), though
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Great Hunt [September 2017] 168 106 Oct 25, 2017 10:04AM
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #3)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
“Better to have one woman on your side than ten men.” 291 likes
“There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.” 192 likes