Start by marking “Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large” as Want to Read:

You love William Shatner.

You admire his many and varied talents.

You appreciate his creativity and willingness to take risks.

You want to learn his master negotiation techniques.

You wish you could hang out with him.

Admit it. You want to BE William Shatner.

And now...you can (almost).This collection of rules, illustrated with stories from Bill's illustrious life and care
Published October 4th 2011 by Dutton Books (first published April 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shatner Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shatner Rules

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
I misplaced this book! But now I am so happy that I have finished learning from the greatest pop culture chameleon in history - William Shatner! Great book that is full of fun and a fair amount of very deep reflection on life - fun and informative!

Margo
The main point of this seems to have been to tell Shatners former co-workers, what he thought of them - and also let the wider world in on his thoughts.

I listened this as part of a challenge. I would not otherwise have continued it, nor would I have chosen to listen to it. I like Shatner less than I did before hearing the book.
Donna
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I love Shatner, He is the funniest narcissist. I did the audio and loved that he did his own narration. He has had a long and distinguished career. He has managed to reinvent himself. I can't believe he is in his eighties. I liked that he talked about his family. For some reason, that always makes these larger than life people more normal. I also loved how he talked about about his role as Captain James Tiberius Kirk. That was my favorite role that he played.

Chris
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great romp through Shatner's brain. If you're familiar with The Shat at all from the last 10 years or so, you know he's not above self-caricature (see: the drama behind the Priceline Negotiator). Here, though, you find out some of the drive behind that, namely, that he's a performer. His job, as he sees it, is to entertain, and he takes self-jibes (see: the subtitle of this book) quite seriously, as long as there's entertainment value in them. Full of Fun Factners and "rules" for livi ...more
Jean Oram
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
I enjoyed this one. I honestly can't believe Shatner is 80. Is he pulling our leg?

Anyway, my husband was reading it and shared it with me--sorry, Bill, we didn't buy the audiobook, just one copy of the ebook--not even hardcover!!--and shared it.

Shatner is funny, ahead of his time, and real. Oh, and Canadian. :) While he plays the egotistical TV star from time to time, he does so in a way that is very funny. We are laughing 'with' not 'at.'

These are his rules for living, one of which is "Yes." I
Mom
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is by far William Shatner's best! It's very light-hearted and upbeat, at least for most of it. I feel there is an underlying feeling that he is disdained with growing old, as with most of us on the upper scale of life. How and why does time go so fast for us and for the common teenager go so slow? Unfair! "Bill" ( as he says we should call him in his book) has had the right idea all along, living his life in fast speed to do everything he possibly can in the time he has here on earth. ...more
Katie
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am gulping this down with great delight. Bought it for Michael for Christmas and he read it in an afternoon. The greatest lesson? Say "Yes". Bill grabs life by the throat and always says yes. Even to being the Chairman of Iron Chef America. He lives life with such verve and exhorts us to do likewise.
Rose Ann
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Especially Trekkers!
Loved it. Laughed my head off all through it. I absolutely love him!

He reached out to George Takei -- and slapped him upside the head!!

Yes, Captain Kirk!

7/14/2013 -- Just read this through for the 2nd time and I luaghed just as hard as I did the 1st time! Love him!
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shatner Fans; Humor Book Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri's Gift
ON THINGS THAT SHATNER SAYS

1) This "fifty-thousand-word rulebook/memoir" is a surprisingly fun and funny book. Not for me laugh-out-loud funny, but often smile-worthy. No doubt Shatner's co-author Chris Regan (in the small type), a writer for The Daily Show, had a lot to do with that. By the way, you may not want to read this book while balancing a cup of hot tea on your stomach. Well, while getting over a cold. If you don't laugh, the coughing fit can still get you.

2) It's a good thing given fr
Robert Frost
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wonder if William Shatner holds the record for the number of autobiographies. I've read and enjoyed them all. This latest is a tongue in cheek and yet earnest look at the Shatnerverse. The book is structured as a list of rules to live by to live life to the fullest, as Mr. Shatner has.
That narrative jumps around the chronology of Shatner's life, from the perspective of a man that, having reached 80 years old, knows that end is much closer than the beginning, and isn't going to waste a minute o
Margaret
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two things prevent this from being a 5 star read. The first one is William Shatner's ego, which brings to mind the line from Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy "If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now."

The second one is the repeated attacks on George Takei. Yes, I know the two men don't get on. Yes, I know that in the opinions of many, George started it. That is beside the point. The repeated snarking just comes across as petty and pathetic and d
Fallon
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, nf
I have known who William Shatner was my entire life, he's magnanimous, he's seemingly everywhere now a days, and my dad happened to be a Star Trek fan. Shatner doesn't seem to mind being the joke, but maybe he does. This book has many 'rules' on how to be more like Shatner, mostly they're jokes, some aren't. He trys to give us some insight on the character that he see's as WILLIAM SHATNER. He describes how he couldn't be that character all the time because it would wear him out, and he gives us ...more
James Hold
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun book that can be read in one sitting. Shatner fans will love it. George Takei will hate it because he uses Chapter 6 to explain to him and his detractors just WHY it was that he got more close-ups and more lines than the other Star Trek cast members did -- mainly that this is what happens when you're the STAR of the show and have to report for work EVERY DAY while the supporting cast doesn't. Come to think of it, Shatner has done more to keep Takei's career afloat than anyone else since wi ...more
Ann Keller
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
If I learned anything from this book, it is to say “Yes” to life a lot more often! Avoiding saying “Yes” is safe, conservative and typically very dull. Conversely, taking risks opens one up to new opportunities, amazingly wonderful experiences one never would have enjoyed if he hadn’t given himself the chance. It’s time to be a little bold and outrageous!

This is an autobiography intertwined with humorous anecdotes and William Shatner’s own blend of rare philosophy. Learn about Shatner’s “salons,
jaxnsmom
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. Shatner has a reputation as having a larger than life sense of self, and through this book I've learned there are many reasons why he should. But he's also willing to admit to his failures, because he's willing to take risks. Shatner knows how to get the most out of life, and makes you think you want to be more like him, or as he says, Shatneresque. He uses examples from his life to illustrate his rules, which are really good advice. One of ...more
Joe
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost I had to give this book 5 stars because quite simply- ITS FREAKIN SHATNER!! I mean come on people!! Actually this book is hysterical though. I rarely laugh out loud reading a book but Mr Shatner has a way of weaving a good story, and his sense of humor is legendary. His take on George Takei was killer and its nice to finally see Shatner's side of things when it comes to the old Star Trek days. I recommend this book to EVERYONE because it is Shatner and quite frankly you (and I ...more
Mary Anne
I can't say a whole lot about this book, but I will say that a.) I got it as an audio book, and b.) that I have my own copy. I found this book to be poignant and, obviously, hilarious. It's not his autobiography, but he touches on so much of his life in this book, and I thought that was pretty fantastic. I'm so glad he read his own book, though there were times when he mumbled a little.

I really had no expectations, though I at least hoped it would be funny, and I had my hope in the right place.

A
Scott
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious read, this is a breezy and fun book from start to finish. Not quite an autobiography (read "Up Till Now" for that), it's a series of anecdotes and thoughts about his career, everyday life, celebrity life, and turning 80. Shatner has a great sense of humor throughout and made me laugh out loud many times (the tale of an underwear thief is amazing). Highly recommended for everybody, it's much fun.
Heidi
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wrote a lovely review of this book, but goodreads froze on me and I lost it. Here's the discount version:

I love Shatner. He makes me laugh, and this book made me laugh more than I thought it would. I'm going to try to follow Rule #1 better: Say Yes. Who knows where a stupid idea can lead you? Shatner is 80 now and has no intention of stopping anytime soon. Life is an adventure: live it.
Diane
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I listened to him read his book in the car. He is hilarious! He always cracks me up with his sense of humor. Selling his kidney stones to build a Habitat House! Negotiating hockey tickets! What a trip to be his daughter or grandchild. OMG! Live long and prosper Bill! Love ya!
Diane
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was reading this while on my swing in the back yard. I'm sure the neighbors are wondering why I was laughing so much!

So funny!!!!!
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
William Shatner is a larger-than-life persona, and this humorous memoir will tell you exactly what you need to know to understand Shatner. Here is a list of simple rules—wisdom gained from his 80 years of life experience—that will guide you on a path of Shatneresque glory. All kidding aside, this book is funny. The writing is good, and the audio narration provided by Shatner is on point. There is a down-to-earth element, which sometimes competes with the overblown egocentrical element, and even ...more
Bookworm Smith
Make sure you do not ever yell, 'beam me up Scotty' to Shatner, if for some reason you see him in real life. Why? Because, he will tell you to F off!
Yes, just one of the many interesting tidbits of info Shatner reveals in his book Shatner Rules.
Somehow, Shatner's arrogant, crass, egotistical writing comes across as endearing. Why? Because, he reveals just enough of his 'real' personality to let you know it's all an act. He has created this 'William Shatner' persona that he 'plays' while doing in
Michelle Cristiani
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Like a lot of people, I know that William Shatner is a better actor than he's given credit for. But I don't really know that much else about him. Though this book has a lot of goofy jokes that scream "written by a celebrity with help!"...it also, impressively, gives insight into the person that is William Shatner. His voice - or at least a voice other than what you'd expect - really comes through.

I learned a lot about the man in this book, and I was surprised because I thought it would be just
Toby Brennen
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Grandiose? Egocentric? Satirical? Humorous? “Shatner Rules” by William Shatner has gone where nothing I have ever read has gone before – and I’m not entirely sure where I went or where I ended up.
“Shatner Rules” is an unforgiving self-promotion; a rambling collection of musings and experiential accounts from William Shatner aka ‘Captain James T. Kirk’ and most recently aka Denny Crane. If you are looking for an autobiography, this isn’t it, although there are interesting tidbits about Mr. Shatne
Marion Marchetto
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
As a person who is a mere generation removed from that of William Shatner, I was thrilled that this book 'spoke' to me. From the wonderful cover photo to the very last sentence, I could not put this book down. In fact, I read it over the short span of two evenings.

A funny yet simultaneously serious look at life, Shatner Rules has me at last understanding the concept behind self-promotion. NOTE: As a writer myself, I've never been comfortable with promoting my work. Thanks to Bill Shatner, that
BrokenTune
May 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Review first posted at BookLikes:

This will be brief.

I have no idea what to make of this book.

It is not the book was bad, it just wasn't ... great, or consistently funny. Nor did it feel like an honest commentary on, well..., anything - apart from the incident with the underwear thief, maybe. (No, I won't elaborate.)

There seems to be a lack of direction in this book - some parts are rants about former co-stars or anything else really, some parts are memo
Scotchneat
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shatner rules. Yes, he does. And he's really very sure that George Takei really dislikes him, though he claims to not know why. You can hear the somehow lovable pomposity in every story.

In amongst the stories, the Shat gives out some advice - always have a glass of water on hand, always say yes, and realize that you won't live forever. It's good to make money. Also, if you are the star, you get more lines.

He also gives some behind-the-scenes dirt on the Vancouver Olympics.

I can't believe he just
Mayda
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, humor, audio
I picked this up on a whim, not really knowing what to expect. I didn’t expect William Shatner to be so funny and genuine. Laced with humor and yet sprinkled with some good advice, this audio will amuse and entertain even as it gives you some issues to ponder. Still going strong at the age of 80 when he recorded this memoir, he pulls no punches about his private or professional life. My only complaint is that it is too short.
Todd
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I have to start out by saying i'm a HUGE Shatner fan. I have enjoyed many of his books, and this one is no different. It was a quick read and a fun read. I like that he has never really taken himself too seriously. And while this is a light hearted book, there is some good advice in it.
This is one book that I will keep on my bookshelf to be read again something in the future.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• I Am Spock
  • To the Stars
  • Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life And Career Of Warwick Davis
  • The View from the Bridge: Memories of Star Trek and a Life in Hollywood
  • Pretty Good Joke Book
  • My Word is My Bond
  • I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society
  • So That Happened: My Unexpected Life in Hollywood
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales about My Life
  • Writing Movies for Fun and Profit: How We Made a Billion Dollars at the Box Office and You Can, Too!
  • Will Eisner: A Dreamer's Life in Comics
  • I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things That Strike Me as Funny
  • Mayakovsky: A Biography
  • The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide
  • A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking
  • Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
William Shatner is the author of nine Star Trek novels, including the New York Times bestsellers The Ashes of Eden and The Return. He is also the author of several nonfiction books, including Get a Life! and I'm Working on That. In addition to his role as Captain James T. Kirk, he stars as Denny Crane in the hit television series from David E. Kelley, Boston Legal -- a role for which he has won tw ...more
“There exists nowhere on Earth a "soulful place" -- everywhere you are, is the soulful place. The entire world is filled with mystical qualities, including your little slice of the world. Paradise and enlightenment are always within your reach. It's joy. And you should work on filling all your years with as much joy as possible.” 4 likes
“Why say "yes"? "Yes" means opportunity. "Yes" makes the dots in your life appear. And if you're willing and open, you can connect these dots. You don't know where these dots are going to lead, and if you don't invest yourself fully, the dots won't connect. The lives you make with those dots always lead to interesting places. "No" closes doors. "Yes" kicks them wide open.....As long as you're able to say "yes", the opportunities keep coming, and with them, the adventures. Say "no" to fear and complacency. Keep saying "yes" and the journey will continue.” 1 likes