Start by marking “More Than You Can Chew” as Want to Read:
More Than You Can Chew

More Than You Can Chew

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Winner of the Society of School Librarians International’s Best Book Award – Language Arts, Grades 7-12 Novels

Winner of the 2005 White Pine Awards, Fiction category

Selected for inclusion in the Best Books for the Teen Age 2004 List by the New York Public Library

Nominated for Snow Willow Award (The Saskatchewan Young Reader’s Choice Awards)

Nominated for the Canadian Library
Published May 8th 2009 by Tundra Books (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about More Than You Can Chew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than You Can Chew

Arminzerella
Steph Furlan
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Silver Lake Hospital.
The alcoholics are sobering up.
The druggies are getting clean.
The crazies can have all the drugs they want.
The bulimics wish they had more food.
The anorexics have all the food they need, but they would rather starve.
In the eating disorder unit, one of the inmates is smart-mouthed, unapologetic, yet broken, Marty Black.

In More Than You Can Chew, we learn that Marty’s parents are divorced. Her mother is an alcoholic. Her father is a work-a-holic. Her boyfriend brea
Anna Francesca
(Note: This is categorized as a novel but says on the back cover that is is semi-autobiographical. It seems, based on some of the details of the text, to be more reality than fiction but told with artistic license).

This fell into the genre of books about the experience inside a psychiatric hospital (such as Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen, Impulse by Ellen Hopkins, and Cut by Patricia McCormick, to name a few). Maybe I’ve just read too many books on the topic and have tired of it, or maybe i
Miss Bookiverse
Ich habe Nichts leichter als das wirklich gern gelesen. Es hat einen sehr flüssigen Schreibstil und die Kapitel sind kurz und episodenartig. Außerdem finde ich das Thema Essstörung immer wieder interessant.
Dennoch ist das Buch alles andere als perfekt. Ich vermute manches liegt an der deutschen Übersetzung. Einige Dialoge kamen mir nicht stimmig vor, sie wirkten gestelzt oder übertrieben jugendlich. Charaktere haben ab und zu Sachen erzählt, die mir als Leser zwar mehr Informationen gegeben habe
Marina
this book was really tough. I think it's important to mention that this book does not really focus on the eating disorder itself. It is the main topic, yes, but the story deals with so much more than that. I thought the main character was really bratty and sometimes even unbelievable, but I take that back, I can see why she treated all the people around her like that. What I liked the most is the humour. Marty always gives witty/ironic responses and makes fun of her own illness, which is somethi ...more
M
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my own opinion, this book was so well written and really looked into the eyes of a teenage girl from their perspective. Also, I read a comment from another reader about how in the novel, two other important characters (Chris, 18 year old boy and Lily, 8 year old girl) are as well affected by anorexia. I soon realized that by the author doing that, she wasn't focusing on just teenage girls but breaking that stereotype and making every see that it can happen to anyone such as boys and young kid ...more
Manshui
Jan 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
This book is about a girl with anorexic who's being sent to a camp where the nurses took away all her diet food and pills. However, she wasn't alone and eating food was a problem for these people with anorexic. Having to reject eating food made the nurse force them to eat by using tubes and drinking liquid food instead. Also, the main character's mom is still trying to help her daughter by bringing all the paper work to graduate high school but "dead girls don't graduate." Teenagers of many kind ...more
Tammy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Than You Can Chew is a poignant book of battles and freedom. Marty wishes she could go back home, but that’s impossible when she has an eating disorder and is taken to a clinic till she recovers, her mother is an alcoholic, and her father doesn’t seem to care about her. In the clinic, Marty begins her journey to recover from her eating disorder, and begins bonding with the other girls there, and Marty begins to realize maybe she does want to get better, but can she break from her disorder a ...more
Tara
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anorexic, or a bulemic, the author never did get around to saying what, exactly she was. But it was what I'd wanted to read, and I most ceretainly enjoyed reading it. It was the first book to make me cry in months. I loved the way Marty was so sarcastic, she seemed more real than alot of the charaters in books i have read lately.
But Lily, poor, poor Lily. She was by far the sadddest part to the book.
I laughed, I cried, I'm glad I read the book.
Kaye
Apr 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult
This novel was the author's semi-autobiographical work on being in recovery for an eating disorder. It kept my interest, but it wasn't a particularly original take on eating disorders. Two characters were pivotal to the story; an 8 year old suffering from anorexia, as well as a young man, both on the brink of death. This helped to move the stereotype away from teenage girls.
Rachel Sullivan
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one that I could truly empathize with as i tore through each page, however I do not recommend this book to those either uneducated on the subject of eating disorders, or those faint hearted. Be prepared to soak the pages of this novel in tears as you read More Than You Can Chew.
Jenn
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book about a girl who has issues with food who is taken from school and put into a special section at the hospital. Part autobographical, this is a moving story that helps people undertand eating disorders.
Emily Witte
This book gave me an inside look at the mind of an anorexic. It really opens your eyes to the severity of the situation and how important it is to get help, but it also opens your eyes to the institution's idea of helping them.
Dani
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the most light-hearted book featuring a person with anorexia I ever read. It's a quick read, "fun" and not really informative or profound, but i didn't think that was the authors intention anyway, so I guess that's okay.
Melanie
I'm such a sucker for a good problem novel....
Sabrina
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage
I'm gonna read the rest of it as soon as I've finished "The Jane Austen Book Club".
Miharu Rokujou
when i first started reading it i didnt like it that much, but later into the book it started getting better and the ending was definitely a tear jerker lol
Shawni
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who would like to learn more about eating disorders
I have re-read this book so many times and I absolutely love it. There is something about it that just seems so very real.
Ruthie
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
anorexia through the eyes of a teenager - very disturbing, but insightful and well written.
Stacey Lucky
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-books
This was one of those books that no Matter how many pages I read it still felt like I was getting no where!! The comic relief is the only reason I'm giving it 2 stars.
Myss-Syckness
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the best book about eating disorders,
it's got enough drama to keep you reading until it's done.
I really liked it. I wonder why it's not on more lists...
Sam - Spines in a Line
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, girls
showing the dangers of eating disorders with a likeable character and compelling narrative. Great job by the editor
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of those books that brings out emotion. You laugh out loud at some things, but want to cry at so many points.
Raiyana
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This triggered me but helped me as well :)
Debbie
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really powerful book about eating disorders. Almost but now quite as good as Hunger Point which deals with the same issues.
Cathy
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eating-disorder
More Than You Can Chew is one of the best eating disorder books I've read before. Its real. Its not fake. It doesn't sugar coat anything like some other books do.
Stephanie A.
An OK look at rehab, but not triggery enough to be a good anorexia novel. I like them better when they inspire me to count calories and portion control for a few days.
Samantha
it was okay but hard to follow
Khadija
This book is really good and I think it's going to help me with my assignment!
Kiri
  • All of Me
  • My Sister's Bones
  • Diary of an Exercise Addict
  • Insatiable: The Compelling Story of Four Teens, Food and Its Power
Marnelle Tokio was born in St. Catharine’s, Ontario, on a frostbitten New Year’s Day, but grew up in Australia, Bahamas, Florida, and California. She has had so many jobs her resume is alphabetical from Apprentice Thoroughbred Jockey to X-ray Technician. While waiting to hear about a zookeeper position she decided to be a writer.

More Than You Can Chew was her first book, and now she is an interna
More about Marnelle Tokio...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99