Start by marking “The Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
The Collected Poems

The Collected Poems

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published May 29th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published January 1st 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems

Manny
Mar 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
I live in Cambridge, England, and Rupert Brooke is our local poet. To be absolutely correct, he's Grantchester's local poet; Grantchester is a picturesque little village about a mile and a half up the river from Cambridge proper. We often walk there on Sunday, and have a cup of tea and a scone in the Orchard, which used to be one of Rupert's favorite haunts. They remember him well, and have even a room that serves as the Rupert Brooke Museum. Admission is free.

If you've never heard of him, don't
Riley Gardner
To begin with, I'm a little shocked with how divisive Rupert Brooke is to readers even to this day. What made him famous resulted in what people criticize him for most - he was overblown, his work was simplistic and his early death made him a martyr. In a lot of ways those things are true and in a lot of ways they are so blatantly false.

Now, I'm a firm believer that understanding an author's world and life events is essential to understand their work. A lot of people (pretty strongly) disagree
Stephen Brooke
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Rupert Brooke ('Cousin Rupert' — yes, we are supposedly distant relations.) was a minor Late Romantic poet making the transition to being a minor Modernist poet when that transition was cut short by the First World War. The later work here is definitely more appealing (at least to most modern ears) as it trims the excess fat-and-flowers that marks his earlier efforts.

Yet that earlier work was popular in its time. The better of those early poems bring Hardy's work to mind, and occasionally slip s
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: helpless romantics
Recommended to Jennifer by: my mother, deborah crombie
My mother and I are very fond of Deborah Crombie's series of mysteries; one references a Brooke poem at the beginning of every chapter. I remember very well the sunshine coming through the windows at our old apartment in San Francisco; and the gleeful and almost shy look on her face, when Mom presented this volume. My copy is worn, clearly well-loved by someone in the past, the dark on the corners rubbed away with long use and part of the spine torn away. It's one of those books that I turn to w ...more
John
The stars are more for the memoir than the poetry which is all wild-eyed and rhapshodic. The Soldier is remarkable but stands alone.

The memoir, by Marsh, is fascinating. Again, the impression one gets of Brooke is of someone who couldn't move without having a life changing, mind altering experience. But what lingers is the death, not only of Brooke, but of so many of his circle. You have a real impression of the scale of loss produced by World War One.
Jim
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Although I often like Brookes, this collection did not improve my estimation of him; the poetry is fine, especially when read individually, but together they seemed to lessen his skill, as similar rhyming schemes popped up frequently, and he seemed to have a limited range of interest. Perhaps something in me wasn't ready for it. Still, I will always love his "Heaven," one of my all-time favorite poems, most likely to forever remain in my top ten favorites.
Marti Martinson
Rupert looked much hotter than his poetry, but the ones I did like I really liked. The rest: meh. He did, however, have a rather biting wit about the "fluid" nature of love and relationships. "Grief, not grievances", as Robert Frost suggested. His attitude to WW1 was not as critical as Wilfred Owen, and I think that is why I prefer Owen's poetry. Still, the PDF was a free, public download so I can't complain about the price. I do suggest that the WW1 poets be read.
Patrick Gibson
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
All suddenly the wind comes soft,
And Spring is here again;
And the hawthorn quickens with buds of green,
And my heart with buds of pain.

My heart all Winter lay so numb,
The earth so dead and frore,
That I never thought the Spring would come,
Or my heart wake any more.

But Winter’s broken and earth has woken,
And the small birds cry again;
And the hawthorn hedge puts forth its buds,
And my heart puts forth its pain.
Merinde
Oct 07, 2013 added it
Shelves: poetry
Meh. I started reading this in the most serious way possible but it just wasn't sustainable. I really did try, but I the line Heart, you are restless as a paper scrap/That’s tossed down dusty pavements by the wind got that one Katy Perry song about plastic bags in the wind stuck in my head and it was all downhill from there on...baby, you ain't a firework.
Paul Taylor
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Brooke was a great talent with his works being in definite phases like the book. Forever remembered for the Old Vicarage at Grantchester and The Soldier his work lacks the visceral power of Owen, Rosenberg, Blunden or the wit and irony of Sasson but he provided a template for the other war poets to follow.
Katie
As much as I enjoyed the poems and his style of writing I've realized that I haven't being getting everything I want out of it. So I'm deciding to keep it on my shelves and come back to it when ever I please without the fear of having to read each individual poem.
Janice
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, poetry
I gained a love of poetry from my Mom, and reading this volume made me wonder why I read poetry so seldom these days. Many of these seem so simply written, but have an elegance that speaks to us all.
Christina
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
His poetry and his short life are so moving.
Gypsie Holley
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all that have a love of poetry.
I love old poetry books. My favorite two poems in here were "Doubts" and "The Calling"
Danielle
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
his death was certainly my loss.
Plaimont
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
True, Brooke is sentimental and tends to moon about, but he's not quite as horrible as I had expected.
George Mead
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changers
Brilliant, lean poetry. Haunting.
Kelly Linzey
1915 1st ed. was destroyed in the flood.
Samantha
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love him, he's my favourite poet. A tragic loss at such a young age.
Dayna Smith
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A collection of poems by the magnificent English poet who died, too young, in WWI. His poetry is powerful and moving. A must read collection.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not sure it was this edition. Good poetry.
S.
rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2007
Charlotte
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite poet, sentimental, passionate and incredibly insular.
Olga therebelreader
  • The Wild God of the World: An Anthology of Robinson Jeffers
  • My Alexandria
  • Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry
  • Poetical Works
  • Selected Poems
  • Crossing Open Ground
  • Collected Poems
  • Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis
  • Quite Early One Morning: Stories
Rupert Chawner Brooke (middle name sometimes given as Chaucer) (3 August 1887 – 23 April 1915) was an English poet known for his idealistic war sonnets written during the First World War, especially The Soldier. He was also known for his boyish good looks, which it is alleged prompted the Irish poet William Butler Yeats to describe him as "the handsomest young man in England."

Brooke was born at 5
“You gave me the key of your heart, my love;
Then why did you make me knock?”
24 likes
“I said I splendidly loved you; it’s not true.
Such long swift tides stir not a land-locked sea.
On gods or fools the high risk falls–on you–
The clean clear bitter-sweet that’s not for me.
Love soars from earth to ecstasies unwist.
Love is flung Lucifer-like from Heaven to Hell.
But–there are wanderers in the middle mist,
Who cry for shadows, clutch, and cannot tell
Whether they love at all, or, loving, whom:
An old song’s lady, a fool in fancy dress,
Or phantoms, or their own face on the gloom;
For love of Love, or from heart’s loneliness.
Pleasure’s not theirs, nor pain. They doubt, and sigh,
And do not love at all. Of these am I”
9 likes