Start by marking “Stranger in My Arms” as Want to Read:
Stranger in My Arms

Stranger in My Arms

New cover for ISBN 038078145X / 9780380781454

"Lady Hawksworth, your husband is not dead..."

With those words, Lara's life turned upside down. Hunter, Earl of Hawksworth, had been lost at sea. Or so she'd been told. Their unhappy marriage — with its cold caresses and passionless kisses — was over. But now a powerful, virile man stood before her, telling secrets only a
Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published July 1998 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Stranger in My Arms, please sign up.
Brooklyn Ann Damn. That is really disappointing. I need to chase her down at a con and tell her that makes me sad, lol.…moreDamn. That is really disappointing. I need to chase her down at a con and tell her that makes me sad, lol. (less)
Jessica Woodrow It was a terrible book. The heroine was irritating beyond all bounds! What type of books do you like to read?

Start your review of Stranger in My Arms
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
3 All for Hunter Stars

photo 2014-08-15-gleeidklook_zpsatbflu6l.gif

All kinds of Spoilers and some ranting

I love me some Lisa Kleypas. She is my go to for historical romance. When I see her books for sale, I always auto buy, but maybe I should have saved myself some serious anger and skipped this book. Let me just say that the plot of this book was so good! And the hero... the hero was so yummy. BUT......... butttttt the heroine was a total CUNT! Lara drove me bat shit crazy. I was ranting so hard last night while reading this book that
AgentScully
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Lisa Kleypas is well known for her light regency romances with smart heroines and breezy prose. But she didn't start out that way. Once you start hitting her back list and reading the books that were published, say, in 1993 or earlier, you get into some weird sh*t.

STRANGER IN MY ARMS was originally published in 1988, according to Goodreads, which makes it the earliest Lisa Kleypas book I have read to date. It's about a noble widow named
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Attention! It appears that someone thinks this story is full of spoilers, however, it's been so long since I read it that I'm not sure if there are spoilers, or if it's just a recap of the book blurb. Therefore - proceed at your own risk.

This is one of my favorite storylines; unaffectionate husband leaves, presumably dies, shows up not dead and has miraculously become one hot, passionate and attentive lover. What more could a woman ask for? Perhaps it’s my love of this story theme that had my
Huma Rashid
Mar 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an absolute waste of time, except for the hero, Hunter. Hunter was a great character with an interesting backstory. The same could not be said for the rest of the characters, especially the heroine.

Lara is cold and unreasonable, and it gets incredibly annoying. At first I was prepared to be really sympathetic: Kleypas bangs us over the head with the fact that every time this woman slept with her husband, it was painful, and she was very aware of how he was in love with another
Samadrita
Caution:- This is going to be a long review despite the fact that this is a romance novel and I usually don't write long reviews for romance novels.

A year ago I had discovered Lisa Kleypas when I got my hands on the Blue-Eyed Devil. A book which did not capture my imagination right at the onset but which reeled me in very slowly and left me quite charmed by the end.
I thought, here's a romance novelist who doesn't sugar-coat domestic abuse, try to make it appear less than it actually is and
valee
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

I can't believe I'm seriously rating an LK book this low but seriously, I just can't give more.

It started out pretty good. A very interesting plot. I found the idea of her husband coming back from the dead after being lost for a year incredibly entertaining. Specially because he was an ass before and then he turned everything she had ever wanted.

But then we get to meet the heroine better, and let me just say that that was the worst thing I have had to read about for a long time. She is
Shawna
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LK fans & anyone who loves emotional historical romance with a touch of mystery
5+ stars – Historical Romance

This is a brilliant, poignant, and achingly romantic read with an element of mystery and suspense as well from the master of historical romance, Lisa Kleypas. Hunter, the Earl of Hawksworth, is a captivating, tortured hero to die for that you can’t help but fall hard for. It’s another winner and LK favorite worthy of big 5 stars!
Bark
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Using the premise of the famous "Sommersby" movie, but set in Regency England, STRANGER IN MY ARMS tells the tale of a woman married to a horror of a man who has been lost at sea and is presumed dead. When he returns she is shocked and upset. She's made a new life for herself and does not want him back. But the man who returns to her is a changed one, he's kinder, he's honorable, he acts like he genuinely cares for her, and he awakens feelings in her she never had for her husband. He's now a man ...more
Rane
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rane by: new_user
This was such an enjoyable read that I re-read twice already!

I adored Hunter and Lara, both were great with one hiding from the past and another hiding in plain sight.
Hunter was the type of male character I love, strong but not forceful, as he slowly drew Lara out of her hard shell she lived in before and after his disappearance. Although he acted like he didn’t give a damn, his actions prove otherwise time and time again. He did hide many things from Lara but, you knew he loved her very
♥ℳelody
It really depresses me to give anything written by Lisa Kleypas below a 4 stars rating but this just wasn't a winner for me. A complete first. :( She's my Queen of all things Historical Romance. I relish reading her work and never worry about what I'm gonna get when I start a book by her. It's always a treat and I end up devouring her books rather quickly. The first for me in this case was that I found the heroine Larissa absolutely intolerable throughout most of the story. Dear. gawd. She drove ...more
Eastofoz
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like impersonation themes
Recommended to Eastofoz by: new_user
An « okay » read at best for me. The writing is good but for some reason the story just didn’t click for me. I didn’t really feel much of anything for Lara and Alex. Impersonation stories are not a favourite of mine but if done right they could have potential. This one was missing a bit of ‘something’.

I had a hard time believing the hero could have loved or even desired the heroine based on some sad letters. All that seemed too far-fetched. The heroine was also somewhat too good. She needed to
Carrie
DNF in audio. I really, really hate the heroine. She's cold and self-righteous. The details of her charity work are sticky-sweet and boring. I may skim the library copy so I can satisfy my curiosity about Hunter, who is a great character, btw.

Rosalyn Landor is the narrator for the audiobook. I didn't care for her voice for Hunter. She is too gruff and he sounds old instead of sexy.

Edited to add: I skimmed the library copy of the book. It was okay, so I'm upgrading to 2 stars. I still disliked
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I would have adored this book if not for the maddening heroine. Kleypas rarely crafted a likable female lead, and this book is definitely on the list for having one of the least likable shrews of the lot. I understand the woman went through hell in the first part of her marriage, but her hypocrisy, deceit, and absolute refusal to be rational or logical at any point in the story had me wanting to beat her to death with one of Hunter's massive erections.
Ezinwanyi
This book reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Sommersby, with Jodie Foster and Richard agree. They have different settings but still awesome life stories.
Leigh
One of the first romance books I read. Unlike a lot of people, I really didn't read a lot of her books until later in college prob because I really didn't like this book. I only remember hating the heroine and the secret reveal.
kris
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is going to be impossible to talk about without some spoilers...

Lara is a widow and way into charity. Specifically orphan charity, supplemented by busybody charity. Hunter is allegedly her possibly dead husband, back from the dead (maybe)! He is way into: 1) Lara. And thaaaat's about it. He wants to make out on her face! She wants nothing to do with him! WILL THE TRUTH SET THEM AND/OR THEIR BONER FEELINGS FREE?

1) So the big mystery surrounds Hunter and whether or not he's actually who
Story_girl
I award this one star to Lara's idioticity. A bigger fool I have yet to see. The "new" version of Hunter is an amazing man.... He would be nearly perfect had it not been for his love and devotion to our Lara.

I commend Lisa Kleypas' research on India for this book. Her historical facts are mostly accurate. The practice of "Sati", facts stated in Hindu spiritualism, the festival of Holi (even getting the month of March correct), the house in Calcutta being on the banks of river Hugli. Most
Keri
While this wasn't my favorite LK read it was still very good. Lara is a widow satisfied with how her life is arranged. She now lives simply with her good works and an orphanage that she supports, what more could a woman need. So when she finds out that her supposedly dead husband is back in town, she isn't happy at all.

He sailed away to India three years earlier and had died on the sea in a crash a year before. So color her surprised when she gets a look at her husband. He looks like her
Addicted to Books
My Hunter

I Read this book again and I keep falling in love with Hunter !

I was revisiting this book a bit and I really like this book because this is the second romance I have read. The first would be the gift by Danielle Steel. I was 14 years old i think.

I fell in love with Hunter and was wondered about why Lara was playing hard to get. I understand with their troubled past and the way things worked back then, why Lara would seem annoying.

Basically Lara's husband returns after presumed to be
Sophie ♥
I know I've said this after 90% of the books I've read lately, but I did not like the heroine at all. Lara was such a feint character to me. Somehow she came across as stubborn and a little self-absorbed. I just didn't find anything appealing about her. I could see that Lisa Kleypas was trying to evoke a soft, gentle character with a big heart, but the way that she kept prattling about the orphans was NOT endearing to me. I can see why this is one of Lisa's earlier books because the characters ...more
Wendy Darling
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Clearly the author’s take on THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE and SOMMERSBY, for which I make allowances for the sometimes frustrating/illogical decisions the heroine makes. Wish the ending was a bit stronger, but overall, enjoyable.
Didi
An older LK, but her talent was evident even then. Loved the suspense surrounding Hunter. Great storytelling, beautiful writing and LK's brand of spiced up sexy time.
BJ
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disliked, just-ok
I never thought I would say this, but I didn't like the H or h. That is a first for this author, one of my firm favourites. But I didn't feel any connection to the bland H and the h was a sickly sweet do-gooder and thought she was weak. I didn't believe the evil friend's outcome as it was too contrived. The plot wasn't weak but it didn’t engage me, there were too many sad things that cannot be resolved, not enough light to balance it out.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I liked the premise of this story, as well as the execution, though I still found it predictable after the initial meeting of the separated spouses. But the fact that I still found it engaging is a true compliment to Kleypas' writing. I've pretty much always found that to be true of her books, though: it can still be a lesser story compared to others of hers that I've read, and yet it's still leagues better than others in the genre. I'll admit that her backlist, including this one and the one I ...more
Lisa Kay
Really 3 1/2 stars. Not her earliest work, but she had not yet perfected her heroine in this story and uses her in a way that I didn't like to further the plot. But it is neat to see an author grow and improve by leaps and bounds like Kleypas has.
Juliana Philippa
Read for the third time - one of my favorite Kleypas books and favorite HR overall, actually. Definitely recommend!
Lynn Spencer
On the plus side, this is a much more romantic (and happy) take on The Return of Martin Guerre and Summersby. After being widowed and reduced to poverty by tacky, greedy relatives, Larissa (Lara)'s husband Hunter, Lord Hawksworth miraculously returns from the dead. Years before, Hunter had set sail for India and was presumed dead in a shipwreck.

Lara had a very unhappy marriage and the prospect of welcoming Hunter back throws her into turmoil. On the one hand, he was a drunken, womanizing lout.
Summer
Ugh... So it turns out this is the second Lisa Kleypas I haven't been able to finish. I've definitely liked some of her books more than others but I wanted to be able to at least finish all of them. Granted this is one of her older novels republished so it's not quite the same as her newer books.
I liked the plot line here and I was actually kinda warming for the 'hero' here so to speak. My main problem was the very annoyingly saintly heroine. I can understand that she was unhappy in her
Holly
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

• The Lost Duke of Wyndham (Two Dukes of Wyndham, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Lady of Persuasion (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #3)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
“He turned back to Lara, his alert gaze raking over her tearful face. Somehow the solid reality of his presence eased her panic. He folded her in his arms, anchoring her against his chest, murmuring quietly into her hair.
Sniffling, Lara reached inside his waistcoat until her palm rested over the steady beat of his heart. The sensation of his warm breath sinking down to her scalp me her quiver. It was so terribly intimate, crying in his arms... even more personal than making love. But he had never felt so much like a husband to her as he did in this moment. Quieting, she inhaled his familiar scent and let out a shaky sigh.”
9 likes
“Coming to stand by her husband's side, Lara touched his arm tentatively."My lord," she said gratefully. "Thank you for protecting my sister. Thank you."

He shot her a gaze of hot black intensity. "Thank me in bed," he said, barely audible.

Lara stared at him, startled. "Now?" she whispered, feeling her cheeks prickle with heat. Hunter didn't reply, only continued to stare at her in that alarming way.”
9 likes