Start by marking “Message Remix: Solo-MS: An Uncommon Devotional” as Want to Read:
Message Remix: Solo-MS: An Uncommon Devotional

Message Remix: Solo-MS: An Uncommon Devotional

This isn't your typical devotional. The Message SOLO revolves around lectio divina, or "divine reading," an ancient approach to exploring Scripture updated for today's students. Includes a topical index and numbered devotions.
Published August 1st 2007 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published June 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Message Remix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Message Remix

Jane
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple yet challenging devotional that aided me in the spiritual discipline of meditation. Also I love the freshness that the Message version brings
Jo
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was my devotional this year - I did The Message//Remix Bible as a reading devotional last year and got so much out of it that I immediately bought this when I saw it. It isn't redundant to the other. It has references to expanded passages you can read - that I read in a different translation, for another approach to the text. And, again, I had insights I never thought of before and felt my faith stretching & deepening, even though it's meant for students I think. It's laid out in the le ...more
Mike
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great new quite time material. I like Gene Peterson's provocative techniques of getting you out of your comfort zone and making you look at our relationship with God with a fresh new prospective. He takes you through exerts of the bible from Genesis to Revelation. The only thing I don't like is that he takes you through in a sequential order. I prefer to intermix new and old testament reading as I go.
Alisa Wilhelm
I was interested in the lectio divina practice before I knew about this book, and it was helpful to have a flexible guide as I work out what this looks like practically. I like that there are passages for every book in the Bible (even Leviticus!), as many devotionals like to skip over the more unpopular books. This guide directed my prayers, journaling, study, and meditation of scripture, even when I wasn't using The Message translation.
Jessica Gillies
loved this devotional for the fact it was totally focused on reading Gods word and responding to it through prayer and action. I didnt usually use The Message translation of the texts provided, very occasionally the devotional topic didnt seem to match the original passage, this however maybe 5 times in the entire book. I dont know if I would have any further criticism.Would whole heartedly recommend!
Jenda
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am new to reading The Message, so instead of buying the Message, i bought this devo book- 365 devos through all the books of the Message Bible. based on the "lectio devina" (holy reading) way of meditating- good stuff, forces you to slow down and let the passage breathe into you, but the depth is a tad lacking. (I think its for younger folks...ha.) Still good though for quick ref.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing a little structure
Great Devotional to help guide you in quiet times. It takes you through key passages in the Bible that you read, think, pray, and live out. SOLO also has an expanded passage that you can read to get more of the context for the passage. The only draw back for me is that I don't want to only be reading for the Message version. So I read the expanded passage in either the NIV or ESV. Good stuff!
Zack
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Extremely helpful introduction to the spiritual discipline of contemplative scripture reading and prayer, Lectio Divina. The Message bible passages are helpful with fresh and understandable language. Inspiring and spiritually useful.
Amanda
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is the new daily devotional incorporating The Message from Eugene Peterson. It is phenominal! For all of you who are Message fans, Rob Bell fans, Brennan Manning fans...you'll love this one! It's awesome and very short, realistic chapters and applications! Enjoy!
Kerby Avedovech
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best devotional I have ever encountered. I appreciated the use of Ignatio as a way to engage with scripture and I liked the flexibility created by the absence of dates.
Debbi
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
One of the best devotional books I have ever read.
Melanie
Using it as an ongoing bible study with friends. Easily accessible and includes thought provoking questions with each passage of scripture.
Trey Atkins
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this version of the Bible! Peterson is a great teacher and writer, who has done the Christian world a favor in this translation.
Madelynn Marlow
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First devotional I ever finished. Sparked my hunger for God's word, and created my habit of reading God's word everyday.
Victoria L. Trifu (McKinney)
Anything that helps me get into scripture is worth reading and reviewing. However I was expecting a little more from this devotional.
Sunny
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This is a really helpful devotional, all laid out in the lectio divina format. I appreciate Peterson's paraphrase of the Bible in modern language.
Megan
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite daily study guides, particularly for it's simple structure. Great for students, also.
Maggie Ulmer
Danielle
May 21, 2015
Cherylck
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have both the "entire" Bible as well as New Testament version.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Paul for Everyone: The Pastoral Letters 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus
  • Leadership Promises for Every Day: A Daily Devotional
  • The Gift: Understand and Develop Your Psychic Abilities
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • Who Do You Think You Are?: Finding Your True Identity in Christ
  • Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives
  • A Life of Obedience
  • Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America: An Evangelical's Lament
  • Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God
  • Character Makeover: 40 Days with a Life Coach to Create the Best You
  • Meet the Bible: A Panorama of God's Word in 366 Daily Readings and Reflections
  • The New How to Study Your Bible: Discover the Life-Changing Approach to God's Word
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross
  • What's In The Bible: The Story Of God Through Time And Eternity
  • Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples (Christian Financial Concept)
  • Paul, Women and Wives: Marriage and Women's Ministry in the Letters of Paul
  • The Great Evangelical Recession: 6 Factors That Will Crash the American Church... and How to Prepare
Eugene H. Peterson was a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He had written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language ...more
“What do you think God meant when he said, "Remove your sandals from your feet. You're standing on holy ground"?” 0 likes