Start by marking “Dead White (A Dakota Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead White (A Dakota Mystery #1)

Dead White

(A Dakota Mystery #1)

This isn't your mother's Little House on the Prairie...

Detective Marek Okerlund unknowingly passes by a dying man in a Dakota blizzard—and gets what he changed jobs to avoid: a homicide. Acting Sheriff Karen Mehaffey asks for a part-time detective to teach her the ropes and loses what she changed jobs to keep: peace in her family.

Together, estranged detective and sheriff s
Published March 26th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Dead White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead White

Start your review of Dead White (A Dakota Mystery #1)
Katherine Hanna
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I almost missed out on a great book. Generally, I’m not a fan of getting thrown into the deep end in Chapter 1. I like a bit more explanation, a bit more clarity as I begin a book. Personal preference, sure. If you are the same, I urge you not to be put off by the first chapter of Dead White. I kept going because it was clear that the writing itself was top-notch. I’m so glad I did.
This book is superbly written, plotted, and paced. The characters are distinct and real, with their backgrounds an
BLT
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Great Winter Read

Total enjoyment. I don't like comparing authors but this is the exception- Lee Child's Jack Reacher and Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire all rolled up into a new character I can fall in love with reading. The story takes place e in a small town during a blizzard, new guy comes into town with his own history which he must come to terms with, solves a murder, drugs and human trafficking and like my two other favorite characters doesn't like bullies. This is a well written book, goo
Karla Burke
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's set in my home state of SD. The author refers to some locations and family names that truly exist and some locations or names that are fictional. That adds a fun, little twist. There's a nice mix of true-to-life details to convince me this story really could have happened in southeast South Dakota. The plot has lots of twists and turns. Just when you think you know "who done it" or what might happen next, Coker hits you with a curve ball. I loved this so much I b ...more
Linda Pobanz
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
White

It was definitely intriguing and interesting. This is the second time I've read this book, and it was just as exciting. I didn't remember everything, but remembered enough to know what was coming. Yet it was just as diversified as the first time I read it. I'm glad I reread it and can't wait for the next one.
Mary
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good! I felt like I was in a SD winter from the writing and the characters were really well developed. It was a book I couldn't put down. It definitely didn't end on a cheerful note, but I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a book that is atmospheric with a good mystery.
Al Dowling
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed This Read

I found a new series. Well plotted—kept me analyzing ‘til the end. Good characterization and sense of place. Solid, really enjoyable read. I like the author’s perspective and voice. I look forward to volume two.
Elizabeth
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
just started he series and an loving it.
Louise Pass
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Family ties

Would you go back? Small town life, failing town, family farms, everyone related to everyone else. Change both good and bad comes to town.
Lisa
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read.

I was back to reading ever night much to my families dismay!! I look forward to more from this authgor
Rosemarie
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
On the harsh plains of South Dakota, where snowfall is measured in yards and grudges in generations, Detective Marek Okerlund returns to his home town of Reunion with his five year old daughter in the midst of a swirling blizzard. He had been half of an elite and much-decorated pair of homicide detectives in Albuquerque; but gave up his career to care for Rebecca, traumatically mute since the death of her mother and unborn brother. He hopes that the lower stress job of part-time county detective ...more
Debs
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, bookclub, mystery

In the interest of full disclosure, this is not my kind of novel at all. I don't read mysteries, mostly because I don't enjoy them. The only exceptions to this personal rule are John Connolly's Charlie Parker novels, an exception due almost entirely to their intricate characters and rich language. I read this one because a member of my bookclub chose it as our monthly read for May. It took me three months to get up the ambition to actually sit down and finish it.

I had some technical pr
Margaret Millmore
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Note: this review will be posted for all five books in this series – I purchased each in order over the course of 10 days or so, I could not put them down!

Marek Okerlund and his young daughter need a fresh start. His wife and unborn son were recently killed by a drunk driver, his daughter is badly traumatized by their deaths and his job as a detective in Albuquerque is too much to handle. He decides to return to his home town, hoping its small rural community will be less violent than the big ci
Mary
Jul 21, 2015 added it
Recently, Linda Hasselstrom of Windbreak House featured a writer on her blog. M K Coker who writes a series set in South Dakota. KnowIng Linda has good taste in many things but that she especially knows god writing, I decided to jump into this series. It did not disappoint. The location and the characters ring true. Like most of us Karen and Marek ( who are uncle and niece) are damaged but who are living with their pasts as they deal with the present. They make mistakes, misread each other but t ...more
Mary Stenvall
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a good mystery, filled with interesting characters and rendered excellent by the fine threads of family. Approached from a variety of angles, it held my attention to the very end, which was four in the morning. I really hope to see these characters return.
Patrizia
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Questo libro mi è piaciuto molto, non solo per la parte gialla, ma soprattutto per i rapporti fra i due protagonisti, che, nonstante siano praticamente coetanei, sono zio e nipote. Leggerò sicuramente gli altri della serie.
Barbara
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Melodramatic and silly ("Their job was education. His was murder"). Plot and characters aren't bad--it just could have used extensive editing, and it looks self-published? Also I was never convinced that the drug boss would bother with small-time South Dakota (where I live), but what do I know?
Kristi
Oct 30, 2017

• Dead Tunes : A Dakota Mystery
  • Five-Dollar Indian: A Sam Chitto Mystery
  • Falling Girl: A Navajo Nation Mystery
  • Coyote's Regret (Manny Rivera Mystery Series Book 8)
  • Frozen Lies (Jacob Rohn #1)
  • Final Arrangements (Manny Rivera Mystery Series Book 9)
  • Canaan's Secret (Zack Tolliver, FBI #6)
  • Haunting Corpse (Shandra Higheagle Mystery #9)
  • The Sorrow Hand (Nick Drake, #1)
  • Artifacts of Death (Manny Rivera, #1)
  • Indian Posse: A John Treehorn Mystery (Book 4)
  • Yellow Lies: Ben Pecos Mysteries, Book 2
  • Las Cruces (Zack Tolliver, FBI Book 7)
  • Big Lake Blizzard (Big Lake #4)
  • Bitter Truth (Bitter Root Mysteries #2)
  • Bitter End (Bitter Root Mysteries, #3)
  • Big Lake Snowdaze (Big Lake, #13)
  • Big Lake Honeymoon (Big Lake, #7)
M.K. Coker grew up on a river bluff in southeastern South Dakota. Part of the Dakota diaspora, the author has lived in half a dozen states, including New Mexico, but returns to the prairie at every opportunity.

A Dakota Mystery (9 books)
  • Dead Dreams (A Dakota Mystery #2)
  • Dead Wrong (A Dakota Mystery #3)
  • Dead Quiet (A Dakota Mystery Book 4)
  • Dead News (A Dakota Mystery Book 5)
  • Dead Hot (A Dakota Mystery Book 6)
  • Dead Poor (A Dakota Mystery Book 7)
  • Dead Head (A Dakota Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Tunes (Dakota Mystery Series Book 9)