Start by marking “Soldier on Her Doorstep” as Want to Read:
Soldier on Her Doorstep

Soldier on Her Doorstep (Heroes Come Home #1)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Soldier Alex Dane promised his dying comrade he'd make sure his wife and daughter were okay, and so he finds himself on a doorstep with his heart in his mouth.

Lisa Kennedy loved her husband, but she must focus on her daughter, Lilly, who hasn't spoken since her daddy's death. Still, the least she can do is offer this battle-weary hero a place to rest.

When Lilly's little ha

Published July 5th 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier on Her Doorstep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier on Her Doorstep

Kristiej
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another line of Harlequin’s that I hadn’t tried before. I gather it’s more of a kisses only line. I’ve really run the gamut when it comes to sensuality levels of books. I used to like the real hot oh so many years ago when I was reading the likes of Rosemary Rogers, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Jennifer Blake and the like. Then I was turned off romance for a number of years and when I came back, it was kisses only. Then I slowly entered the sensuality pond until I wouldn’t read kisses only. Now I ...more
MBR
3 Star Harlequin Contemporary Romance

Soldier on Her Doorstep tells the story of the journey taken by a soldier who suffers from survivor's guilt, and how a man who has been a loner for most of his life suddenly finds himself feeling a wealth of emotions towards the widow of the man who took a bullet for him and died in his place. And how in the end he finds love, peace and happiness in the most unlikely of places.

When Alex Dane drives up to Brownswood Alaska, his only intention is to deliver a
Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-review
The premise for this story caught my interest, especially since it involves a soldier coming home from the war. I adore military heroes and Alex just seemed like he'd be such a yummy hero. The story was short but while I was reading it, I kept waiting for the story to get better. For me, the story just dragged, took it's time unfolding and I found that I was too anxious for the story to take off and when it didn't, I put it down.

I put it down around the 100 page count and stepped away for a coup
Wanda
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed this galley from Netgalley. I'm a huge fan of Harlequin books. I can't get enough of their authors. Love them and love their imprints too. You will never go wrong when you pick up any Harlequin book. So in "Soldier on her doorstep", Lisa receives an unexpected visit from a soldier. Now normally when military wives receives visit from soldiers, it's never good news. But she had already received THAT bad news almost eight months ago. So this visit was unexpected.

Alex promised his frien
Laura's Book Addiction
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the premise and all the characters were FAB. Well worth a read if comtemp romance is what you like reading.
Ruth
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
You see the cover, you read the blurb above, is there really anything else I need to say? I mean this book is what it is, but for the genre, I'd say it is well written with characters as developed as they are going to get, given the format.

Physically Alex is the strong one, and you'd think that the book would be about him helping her to heal, but in reality, he is the one who needs the most healing and I enjoyed seeing him blossom with love. I loved the way people gave her permission to move on
Kerry  sullivan
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a sweet story of forgiveness and over coming grief and guilt. The relationship between Alex and lilly was really endearing and between Lisa and Alex was bitter-sweet most of the time but still a joy to read. They were 3 broken birds learning to fly again and the journey was worth taking with them.
Leslie
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
When you have a heroine who was deeply in love with her husband and has been widowed for a matter of months, it can be tricky to have her fall in love again and make it believable. I did believe in Lisa's love for Alex by the end, and while she had her moments of missing William, the conflict she felt at falling in love with Alex felt very minimal. Which would have been fine but I couldn't help but think it had only been months since William died. Yes, he had been overseas for months prior to th ...more
Scooper Speaks
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Favorite Lines: “Alex wasn’t sure whether to sit, stand, or just go wait outside. The two glasses of wine had started to help, but now they were just making him even more nervous. Of what? He wasn’t sure. All he knew was that there was something about being in a space alone with Lisa that made him feel in equal parts terrified and excited. Exhilarated, almost. He stood, awkward, in the middle of the room.” (p. 132, egalley)

Are you tired of reading about snippy heroines? You know… the ones who ar
FicTalk Blog
Reviewed by Autumn. 3.5 stars on Fic-Talk.com

Lisa Kennedy is a young widow living in Alaska with her daughter Lilly. Her husband, William, who was stationed overseas in the Army, had died eight months earlier. One day her life is changed forever by a knock on her door. Alex Dane, who served with Lisa’s husband, is there to fulfill a promise to William to check on his wife and daughter and to give Lisa a few of his personal effects. Alex is very quiet and is determined to drop off the items and l
Erin
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Lisa and William were friends turn lovers turn man & wife... They met as children, dated in high school, and shared their young adult lives together. While Lisa wrote cookbooks and raised their daughter, Lilly, William enlisted in the Army and was deployed overseas.

While overseas, William's team was assigned to a mission. While making their way back from their assignment, they came under fire by a sniper. William sacrificed his life, saving one of his men's. His dying words requested that th
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
originally posted at http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

He’s a soldier who has come to bring her dead husband’s effects. She asks him in and later invites him to dinner…

With so many wars going on in the world today, this story theme is very relevant. This is a story of love and loss and coming to terms with life today. Ms. Lane has written a tastefully done story about a wounded warrior, Alex, who has learned to isolate himself and hold all emotion within. He’s made himself a life in the s
Becca
Alex is a solider coming home from war. He has never really known family having lost his at such and early age and being put into foster care where he never found a home. His family became the military and his fellow soliders. So when a solider who died saving Alex's life requests that Alex deliver a message to his family Alex can't refuse. So Alex finds himself at Lisa's front door upholding his promise.

Lisa lost her husband months ago but when she see's this solider on her doorstep she feels h
Mombo
Gosh, I wish a soldier like Alex would land on my doorstep, too, because Lisa's longing for him made him seem too good to be true. He was quiet and worked hard and swam well and was a good protector and he was definitely a good listener.

I appreciated the way SL had Lisa ready to move on past widowhood and the way in which the author presented Alex's battles for all to see. Thou shalt not covet is always a tough one to do justice to, imho. Alex tried hard not to but anyone could see he definitely
Judith
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
An engaging novel that pulls at the emotions as a returning Middle East War vet comes to the door of one of his dead buddies' family with last messages and personal effects. He himself is still traumatized by the war and its brutality, and he is determined that he will deliver his messages, hand over the package of personal effects and move on. But the open acceptance and easy friendship of Lisa and her daughter seem to hook him along with the beauty of the Alaskan scene, and Alex is caught up i ...more
Carrie
2*-2.5* The book is okay.

The premise was interesting and the characters fairly well done, including the child. However, the writing was somewhat jarring at times. Mixed with some decent prose describing the Alaskan scenery were too many metaphors and similes. The author also rarely used common words and phrases to describe things, using lots of "high impact" words instead. People didn't feel relief, relief hit them or washed over them. Example:
"The smell of food hit Lisa's nostrils and made her
Michelle
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a great book ‘Soldier on Her Doorstep’ was. I absolutely enjoyed it from the opening scene right to the very end.

Lane did an exceptional job bringing the reality of loss to the written page. It is said that everyone copes with loss in a different way, and Lane truly brought that to life with the Kennedy Family. Each member is affected by the loss of William differently, and while one member maybe ready to “move on” for lack of a better word, not everyone feels the same way.

“Solider on Her
Cleffairy
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Reviewed at: Library of Lights Library of Lights

Date reviewed: 6 May 2011

Review link: http://mykindaland.com/?p=237

Soldier on her Doorstep by Soraya Lane is very thought provoking, heartwarming and inspiring. It captures me the moment I flipped through the pages. While the plot is rather complex for me to grasps in the beginning, but I’ve develop a certain kind of liking towards this story.

If you’re sick and tired of all the typical harlequin plot, then you might want to try this book. You may f
Sue Lauzon
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Story of Alex Dane, a soldier without a family just returning from war who goes to visit the wife (Lisa Kennedy) of a fallen comrade. He has terrible guilt as William Kennedy died saving Alex's life but his guilt intensifies when he starts to have feelings for Lisa. Although the concept had a basis for a much longer book and more in depth book it just didn't wow me. It was just okay.
ValerieC

Cute little story, but very simplistically written. I don't read enough of these Harlequin romances to know if they are all that way for some reason, but it just wasn't very sophisticated writing. If you like a whole book where the same thing (misplaced guilt and angst) is repeated over and over, then this is for you.
Jules
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book. The plot was very deep and emotional (and very current for what's going on in the world), but on the same token the tone of the book was too depressing for my tastes. Plus, I had a hard time connecting to what Lisa and Lilly really saw in Alex. He was a little too troubled and quiet and I often wished he showed a bit more personality.
Jessica
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I sure love a man in uniform so I couldn't resist reading this book. I loved all the characters and their relationships, but I really liked the relationship between Lilly and Alex. It was heartwarming.

It was one of those books where I didn't find myself completely enthralled in it. I found myself reading through certain parts extremely fast to get to the better ones.
ReadingWench
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A light romance filled with serious undertones, makes this book a great read.

Soraya Lane's first U.S. book is quite thought provoking. A few times in this book, I was thinking "Hmmm...Would I react the same? How would I feel?" The answer was, I'm not sure.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Heroes Come Home
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute story with a happy ending. Definitely doesn't challenge the readers mind but a great little pick-me-up!
Tasha
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another story for me to fall in love with and was unhappy for it to end I wanted it to go on and on
PWRL
  • A Baby For Christmas
  • A Family for the Rugged Rancher
  • Her Baby, His Proposal
  • Home for the Holidays
  • Her Man in Manhattan (Brannigan, #3)
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
  • Eight Christmas Eves
  • Must Like Kids
  • Hollywood Holiday (Red Carpet, #2)
  • Happily Ever Afton
  • The Wedding Gamble
  • One Night, Two Heirs (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #1)
  • Afterburn (Uniformly Hot!, #5)
  • Caught on Camera
  • One Night in the Ice Storm (One Night novellas, #2)
  • Angel Baby
  • Melt
  • The Specialist
#1 Kindle Bestselling Author of Wives of War. Purchase your copy here! https://www.amazon.com/Wives-War-Sora...

As a child, Soraya dreamed of becoming an author. Fast forward more than a few years, and Soraya is now living her dream! Soraya describes being an author as "the best career in the world", and she hopes to be writing romance for many years to come.

Soraya loves spending her days thinking
More about Soraya Lane...

Heroes Come Home (5 books)
  • The Army Ranger's Return (Romance)
  • Back in the Soldier's Arms
  • The Navy SEAL's Bride
  • The Soldier's Sweetheart (The Larkville Legacy #7)