Start by marking “Mitologia Criativa (As Máscaras de Deus, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mitologia Criativa (As Máscaras de Deus, #4)

Mitologia Criativa (The Masks of God #4)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  1,422 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Aborda as funções vitais da mitologia na atualidade, dada pelos artistas, literatos e pensadores, os criadores e os visionários de antigas e sempre novas aventuras espirituais. Nossa sociedade ao mesmo tempo plural e individualista já não permite verdades universalmente aceitas, nem espaços cognitivos, artísticos ou religiosos que não dialoguem – tornando cada um de nós o ...more
Paperback, 1, 624 pages
Published May 10th 2010 by Palas Athena (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Mitologia Criativa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitologia Criativa

Matt
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm obsessed with Joseph Campbell, and his words of wisdom are like the ambrosia of the gods to my un-mythologized mind. I think just about everything he writes is amazing. But on the scale of "kinda amazing" to "really FREAKING amazing," this book falls more in the range of "kinda amazing." All of the other books in the series fell in the "really FREAKING amazing" range.

If you've read the other three books, no doubt you're going to read this one just to finish the series. So maybe my review is
Michael
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In graduate school, when I asked my beloved mentor, Freudian/Lacanian David Wagenknecht about Carl Jung, his response was, "I dunno: a little too Joseph Campbell for me." There is no better or smarter human on earth than David and so I didn't read either Jung (who I now worship) or Campbell (who I now really, really love) for many years. I think the wait was just fine for me (sorry Dave) but I know I will be reading at least Campbell's Masks of God for the rest of my life (and perhaps also his S ...more
Michael
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“For it is simply a fact that poets and artists, who are dealing every day of their lives with the feeling- as well as thought-values of their own imageries of communication, are endowed with a developed organ for the understanding of myth that is too often lacking in the merely learned; so that when the artist or poet is also learned, he may be a more dependable guide to the nuclear themes of a given mythic complex, and a much more profound interpreter of their relevance to life, than even the ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Really, Really Love James Joyce
Creative Mythology is the fourth and last volume in Masks of God. Up to this book, I thought the work had become stronger with each volume. The first book, Primitive Mythology published in 1959 by and large dealt with the pre-historic era Campbell sees at the root of world culture, and so relied quite a bit on archeology and the speculations of such psychologists as Freud. It was very dry and I suspected, dated. The second volume, Oriental Mythology, primarily examined Egypt, India and China--an ...more
James
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book demands multiple re-readings of the text. Campbell does what he does best - deconstruct mythology - and some of his ideas regarding creation and art are quite striking and fresh indeed.

While traditional mythologies are discussed here, (such as Le Morte d'Arthur) Campbell also likes to draw on distinctive and post-modern authors like Joyce and Mann when discussing novel mythological structures or narratives. This may be good or bad, depending on whether or not one likes these authors.

U
Cypress Butane
Just started re-reading this one. I got about halfway through last time and found so much good stuff in it last time that I thought I'd see what I pick up this time through.

It's interesting that it starts with the time of the 'dark ages' since what I'm working on now, though set in modern day, has a kind of allegory of the idea of the dark ages.

I really would like to learn more about Joseph Campbell. I know some basics of his ideas, but he has written a lot. I'll probably also be watching the 'M
Raymond
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1960s
Now that I'm experiencing Joseph Campbell as a careful adult reader, he comes off as a well-read charlatan, though probably well-meaning, throwing tons of random infodumps at his audience and then saying "see? It's all connected!" Also, no one in the late 1960s should have been talking seriously about an ancient, underlying Aryan culture. Racist much, Mr. Campbell?
Sidhartha
All the major ways has been destroyed. We are in a desert and a dark forest now. And each of us should go alone...
Liked very much though I think in some parts Joseph has taken too long way to tell his story
Ned
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
analysis wrapped in mysteries tied with contradictions made out of the tinder and spark of campfire stories, brick kilns, and steel foundries. Materials, colors, designs, executed, shared, found, sifted, chosen, revealed. Shelved.
Mel
I did not read this. I really want to like Joseph Campbell but I just can not get into it. This was so wordy. I found myself wishing he would get to the point.
Erik Akre
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of life and possibility
Shelves: myth
The change in history from classical times to the Renaissance: nude paintings to represent the character of "man" the species, to portraits showing the character of the individual person. This description of visual art corresponds to the description of myth and personal transformation in Creative Mythology. It is the description of the mythic journey of the modern person. The mythological inspiration of our time is the following of a trackless path to genius.

No longer do we receive guidance on t
Gabriele
After exploring ancient, Eastern, and Western mythology and religion up until the approximate time of the Dark Ages, Joseph Campbell's final volume of his Masks of God series deals with the "modern" world. As societies became increasingly mobile and fluid, the social purpose of religion and myth (transmission of local cultural "rules" to each generation, and the acceptance of those rules) fades in importance. Now what?

Creative Mythology explores what happens as cultures begin to intermingle, how
Li
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt this seemed biased in waves of magnitudes catering to white lineage in world history exclusively or as a form of celebrating white-race creativeness. I didn't particularly feel any empathy for his choosing Joyce and Mann as his main examples for comparative writers to create a relationship to occidental mythology. Because these writers were primarily used as models exclusively to the occidental, I was deprived of Egyptian, moorish ; african mythology through out the book and of course I w ...more
Danns
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's to give a rating for this book as I have not finished it yet. Unlike the previous volumes this takes a more focused look at the arts from the middle ages to the present. I'm only 150 pages or so into as of now.

Alright I finally finished the book. Yeah, it may sound like a bit of exasperation there and at some points it was. This volume was a bit more challenging to read I felt and did not flow as well as the first three volumes. I felt Campbell did a fantastic job reaching his point as "man
JW
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I always do things bass-ackwards I read Vol. 4 "...Creative Mythology" first. Coming from a Fine-Arts and creative writing background this was perfect because the author highlights the common mythological threads throughout literature, poetry, visual arts, religion et. al. Joseph Campbell is the only man that I have ever come across that knows everything about all mythology. If you have ANY interest in why we as human beings create the stories that we do and generally try to relate the e ...more
Acid
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of mythology, religion, history
I loved the scholarship of this book...I learned that there was a christian sect that would eat the aborted fetuses of thier women, also, diana's priesthood and its bloody rights of passage, and many other things that have been believed by differant people at different times about god...joseph cambell a student of carl jungs wrote in four volumes a magnificient work...with implications on any creative persons ideas of myth and its role in life... deep book... mike seely and the acid tong
Mackenzie
Feb 25, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acadia-moon
All the Joseph Campbell books scratch a really deep itch to understand your favorite stories in the grand context of the history of humanity. I haven't ventured past The Power of Myth, but I'm especially excited to challenge my preconceptions with some of the non western myths he discusses.
Jill
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last in the series. As this was written nearly 40 years ago, many of the ending spots for the series feel unfinished....as it would since so many cultural trends have gone on, changed, AND reached back to the past. Reading all 4 volumes can be a revelation.....
Carolyne
Like I'd say anything about my main man, Joseph Campbell? Always compelling, Always interesting, and what a wonderful storyteller. A man whose grace, kindness,and infinite intelligence, always shines through in his writing.
David Melbie
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Read the first three. . .
Recommended to David by: Big fan.
This is the book that contains Joe's 'Annotated Parzival,' as I call it, and a very sharp look at our modern tendency toward older myths.

Even as I write this, our nation toils on, waging war and ravaging the planet. But, I digress. . . --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Ilana
Nov 27, 2011 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pairings
Would like to get to this before reading Ulysses, since I've heard Campbell's take on Joyce totally transforms the way you see the work.
Daniel
Dec 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Campbell hits the nail on the head!
Manish
Mar 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those building the myth of their lives
Shelves: bigquestions
This is how it is done . pursuit of your happiness.
Andrea
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy read but well worth it. As always I walked away seeing things just a bit diffferently.
Guy
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the 'Mythology' quartet, best.
Richard
this is the completion of a 30 year reading project, 4 volumes, thousands of pages.
Mil
Mankind explained. The Manifestation.
Rich Hoffman
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books every written because it brings the art of Europe and places it into context with the worlds religions.
Will Robinson
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok
Yvonne Flint
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And like every great teacher, I'm left with a reading list ... Joyce, Mann, Dante.
  • The Myth of the Eternal Return or Cosmos and History
  • The Language of the Goddess
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • Parallel Myths
  • The Lore of the Unicorn
  • Essays on a Science of Mythology: The Myth of the Divine Child and the Mysteries of Eleusis
  • The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth, Amended and Enlarged Edition
  • Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions
  • Goddess: Myths of the Female Divine
  • Book of the Hopi: The first revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of life
  • Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales
  • Primal Myths: Creation Myths Around the World
  • The Witch Must Die: The Hidden Meaning of Fairy Tales
  • Dionysus: Myth and Cult
20105
Joseph John Campbell was an American mythology professor, writer, and orator best known for his work in the fields of comparative mythology and comparative religion.
More about Joseph Campbell...

The Masks of God (4 books)
  • Primitive Mythology
  • Oriental Mythology: The Masks of God
  • Occidental Mythology (The Masks of God, #3)
“Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions, and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how it ends.” 442 likes