Go the Fuck to Sleep

Go the Fuck to Sleep

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  46,848 ratings  ·  2,454 reviews
Go the Fuck to Sleep is a bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don't always send a toddler sailing blissfully off to dreamland. Profane, affectionate, and radically honest, California Book Award-winning author Adam Mansbach's verses perfectly capture the familiar -- and unspoken -- tribulations of putting your...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Akashic Books (first published January 1st 2011)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonGo the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. ValenteThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I Picked It Up Because of the Title
2nd out of 781 books — 486 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
55th out of 2,051 books — 1,833 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
NEVER MIND THE VERY CATCHY TITLE...and disregard that it is only 32 pages long and designed to emulate those children’s books we parents read ad nauseum to our kids…THIS IS AN ANTHEM TO PARENTS EVERYWHERE, an honest celebration of that all too familiar experience that we have all been through…and I laughed my mental-cursing, temper-losing, patience-exhausted, anger-rising, sleep-deprived ass off the entire time I was reading it.

In addition to being Hangover funny, it is also surprisingly comfor...more
Kat Kennedy
I can't express how much I love this book. My son is currently whining because he's supposed to be napping.

Yeah, good fucking luck on that one.

evil

But this book is so awesome because it's true. I think I've thought almost every word in this book toward my son at some point.

Seriously, boy! Mummy needs her GoodReads time so GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP!!!

Miriam
Jun 16, 2011 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: sucks to be you
Shelves: picture
I guess my parents were lucky -- we pretty much went to sleep without fussing. And if we got up again we usually played quietly without disturbing our parents. And the kids I baby-sat most often went to sleep pretty obligingly, too, probably because I played energetic games with them so they were wiped out. I remember having to convince one very docile girl that it would be okay for her to go to bed early if she wanted to. She could hardly keep her eyes open by 7:20 but thought she had to stay u...more
Catie
This book so perfectly homes in on the grand canyon sized pit of frustration, weariness, and impotence that every parent carries around inside. It’s that place that is systematically tamped down and compartmentalized to make way for an entirely new kind of person. The kind of person who can dig up the enthusiasm to clap and cheer for your three year old when she shouts “I NEED TO GO POTTY!!” at 2am, even though inside all you can think is, “my god, I am so fucking tired.” The kind of person who...more
Amanda
Even though I will vehemently deny it around people who know me, every once in a while I look at all the people who suck in the world and think I owe it to humanity to procreate. Why? Because, and I don't want to undersell this, I really think my children would be awesome. However, there are three primary reasons I have thus far refused to give in to any maternal instinct: 1) pregnancy and childbirth hold no appeal whatsoever as I don't think the whole host/parasite dynamic is that magical, 2) w...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
Jun 25, 2011 ~J~ Riverina Romantics rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: on-blog
Oh my gosh this book is fucking hilarious!

I had a discussion only this week with my husband about why the hell people don’t tell you how evil kids are before you have the little fuckers.

The author of this book needs to write a whole series – I already have book titles prepared:
~ Sit the fuck on the toilet
~ Eat your fucking vegetables
~ Stop bitch slapping your brother
~ Stop screaming before mummy turns fucking cray cray.

And the one I currently need:
~ Get that finger out of your fucking nose

And o...more
Becky
First, thank you StumbleUpon, for taking me to this site, and allowing me to experience the audio reading of this book, with accompanying video of the illustrations. It was awesome.

I think if I had read this on my own... 3 stars maybe. It was cute, kinda witty, but nothing spectacular. But I gave this 5 stars. And called it 'awesome'.

Why? Four words: Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson.

That's right. Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson. And for all 6 minutes of this audio, I was enthralled, laughing an...more
Steph Sinclair

If Snakes on a Plane (view spoiler) and Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes had a baby it would be this audio book. It was pure genius to have Samuel L. Jackson narrate. I mean, who's inner Samuel L. Jackson doesn't come out when they are sleep deprived, right?

When I'm sleepy, I'm the nastiest person you would ever have the misfortune of meeting. But somehow fate would have it that I'd be cursed blessed with the wor...more
Melody
Cute. Marginally clever one-trick pony. The sad part is that as clever and as cute as this is, Mansbach isn't a good enough writer for the concept. It could have been far, far funnier, instead of relying on the constant repetition of "fuck" to carry the weight. I especially liked the page with the tiger, but mostly it was an exercise in regret that this book was not in the hands of someone like Dr. Seuss or even better, Philip Larkin. Two and a half stars, more for concept than execution.
Kemper
So I was checking out Audible.com tonight and they were giving this away for free. And who was reading it? Samuel L. Jackson. I'm sure the text and pictures are hilarious in the print version, but with Mr. Motherfucker himself reading this, I nearly had a rupture from the laughter.

And it’s especially funny to me because I don’t have kids. So I’ll be dreaming about all you parents cursing your children as I’m getting a solid 8 to 9 hours of sleep tonight. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......
Bradley
I stumbled across this book on Amazon and thought it looked cute, so I bought it to read for my four-year-old at bedtime. I was looking forward to receiving it, but when I opened up the package, I was horrified to see a sleeping child surrounded by tigers. Children should not sleep in the presence of tigers. Tigers are dangerous! Had I noticed the tigers on the cover from the start, I never would have purchased the book. I thought they were just really big cats from some magical land like Oz or...more
Mark
This is one of those 'God bless you Goodreads ' type books. I can not imagine, having no children of my own, that I would ever have got to see a copy of this tome had it not been for the good offices of others reviewing it here. It was hilarious.

The pictures are beautifully drawn anyway but the rhymes are an absolute scream. Being only an uncle and twice great uncle I do not ever have the horror of children refusing to sleep as I can always hand them back even if i have been the fiend responsib...more
Nikki
I heard of Go The Fuck To Sleep -- who hasn't? -- through the internet buzz about it. Actually, possibly through someone writing analytically about the internet buzz about it, which included distribution of illegal PDF copies, and what that means for ebook piracy. That's a pretty interesting phenomenon in itself, because this book sold like crazy.

It's in the style of a children's book, with pictures that might be appealing to a child (bright colours, exotic animals, etc), and short verses -- and...more
Ms Bubbles SockieP
Every parent whose ever lived has, at some point (but mostly regularly, at lots of points) wanted to tell their kid GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP. (And if you say you never wanted to, your child either didn't have vocal cords or you are telling big porkies). This book says it on every page and the beautiful illustrations and to-the-point poetry will elicit much sympathy and humour on the part of any reader. But perhaps not the knowing looks that will pass between the tired, sleep-deprived parents of a ba...more
Megan
Isn't everything better when read by Samuel L. Jackson? Listen for yourself and download the audio version for free here. This is a cute and only slightly threatening childrens story for adults. I love it! =)
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 09, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Parents -- and people who wanna be parents
Definitely not my usual reading material. Deceiving though the length and cover are, that title blares it all out loud and clear: this ain't a children's book.

I'm not a parent (and don't plan to be one), but I'm sure a lot of parents will be nodding along with this book if they read it. It really strikes a chord since a lot of kids just don't wanna go to sleep.

I was one of those bad kidlets who kept her mommy up at night by making up all kinds of excuses for why I couldn't go to sleep. (Kinda ma...more
Joanne
I think the word f**k is one of the cleverest in the English language, with its myriad forms of application. I use it myself, sparingly, when the occasion's right. My initial reaction to "Go the F**k to Sleep" was that I liked it because it was funny. It's where most of us get to at a certain time of the night, when our darling little angels just won't play fair. But by the time I reached the end, I was over it.

So, who is it for? You can't read it to your child. You can't leave it lying around t...more
Stephanie
Way back in the day, when I was new to drawing peoples faces for a living I ran across a couple of people that still pop up in my memory. This book jogged it to the front of my brain once again.

Picture a rather large Italian American man, think Chris Christie, think Tony Soprano. Now picture this mans child of the approximate age of 7. Listen...hear the heavy New Jersey accents......and....

Tony: So, uhh, d'ya tink yous can draw my kid?

Me: Um, sure. ?

Kid: Awe c'mon dad! I wanna ride some coasters...more
♥ Amber ♥
Genius. This book was sent to me by a friend here on Goodreads, with a comment about "even if you don't have kids, this is hilarious!" She couldn't have been more right. I don't have kids. But I did help raise my nieces and know all too well about the relentless stalling tactics of a child at bedtime. This book was written for adults as a way to help them laugh at one of the most frustrating events in child rearing, putting your child to bed.

Go the F**k to sleep had me laughing hysterically as...more
John
Jun 09, 2011 John rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I read Go the F*k to Sleep at the B&N in Union Station a few minutes before I had to catch a train after a long day of work to return home to my sometimes fussy two-month old daughter. After seeing all of the hype and the Amazon preorder sales rankings, I thought it would be ROFLMFAO funny.

It was not. It wasn't ROFLMAO funny, nor even LMAO funny... neither was it ROFL funny nor LOL funny. Maybe I don't have a sense of humor. Or maybe my kid is a frakking saint...

Or maybe this book is nothin...more
Brad
Have you ever seen Slapshot? Have you ever heard Paul Newman say "fuck"? It is amazing. No one, and I mean no one anywhere -- ever -- could say "fuck" like Paul Newman.

But there's this awesome cat named Samuel L. Jackson who can say "fuck" amazingly well, and since Newman is dead, Jackson is the perfect choice to read Adam Mansbach's brilliant Go the Fuck to Sleep.

I haven't laughed so hard since George Costanza visited his Mom in the hospital to watch a sponge bath in silohuette. My baby, little...more
Jen
Aug 06, 2011 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: required reading for parents of colicky babies
Recommended to Jen by: Ceridwen, I think
Why the Fuck didn't I think of this?

I have a friend, the wife of a minister, actually, who told me the following after I confessed in tears that I sang "...Go to sleep, Go to sleep, and I hate you, Hate you!..." one night while bobbing my first born in my arms. (I had been wobbling drunkenly around my room, wearing down carpet fibers under my feet in the shape of a schizophrenic figure eight. Colicky babies are the devil's emissaries, and they are why I believe in hell.):
"That's nothing. The...more
Karla
Laugh out loud funny! I got this for a friend of mine to listen too. She has 3 kids, and her two youngest, ages 6 and 18 months have been the source of her sleep deprivation for many years. We sat in the break room today at work and listened to it together. Let me tell you, we laughed so hard, we were crying and my head hurt afterwards. It brought back memories of trying to get my then 2 1/2 year old son to go to sleep when all he wanted to do was PLAY...at midnight. LOL! It's short but very fun...more
Lesley
LOVE! pssh to whoever says this isn't really for kids!
but really, am i a bad parent for wanting to incorporate this into our "stories" routine? i mean, aside from venting my frustrations and hopefully putting the kiddo in his place, it even has that lullabyesque cadence. i could've probably read 10 more pages of this, because frankly, some nights just end up like that...
Beth F.
This was fucking brilliant. And that’s all I have to say about that, because my 19-month-old doesn’t sleep through the night. Never has. And I’m too exhausted to say anything further.
Chris
I actually read along with a pdf copy of the book while I listened to Samuel L. Jackson's brilliant reading.

Did I say it was brilliant? That doesn't do it justice. It was motherfuckin' brilliant.

Everything that Jackson touches turns to motherfuckin' gold. Not just Pulp Fiction, but lightsabers and S.H.I.E.L.D. too. What's in your wallet?

That said, the book itself is hilarious. For anyone that's had small children that you've read to before bed, you'll love this. What starts out as a shared love...more
Eva Leger
I'll get to my own thoughts in a minute but I'd like to try to explain something if I may. I understand not everyone uses "foul" language. I acknowledge anyone's right not to use it. And at the same time, I think it's decent to expect the same amount of respect back.
As far as I know (can imagine) this wasn't shoved in anyone's face. People picked it up, on their own, and read it. Because they were curious at the very least.
Now, you'll never hear or read me tearing someone down for a rating or re...more
Jason Koivu
It's all right there in the title, isn' it? I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer or Captain Killjoy, but the title says it all. That's the big laugh. It is funny and although I have no kids, I still "got it." My brother being nearly 10 years younger than I provided a sort of surrogate son through which I experienced many an annoyance. Still and all, once you get the joke, this book's value is up. I do love the concept though! Great execution in creating that classic children's book look!
Matt
It's the latest inescapable internet buzz. It would be creepy if it wasn't just so sad.

It's also proof that most of American problems have their source in the fact that the parents these days have about the same level of maturity as the children they are supposedly raising.

I'm sure my five year olds, if they were acquainted with the words, would find it more funny than I do. They think "He said 'butt'" is just the funniest joke imaginable.

Civilization is dead.
Laura the Highland Hussy
The thing that made this audiobook so awesome is that Samuel L. Jackson narrates it.

No one else could do this book justice. If you get the chance, it's free at audible.com and it's hysterical!!!

"...The tiger reclines in the simmering jungle
The sparrow has silenced her cheep.
Fuck your stuffed bear, I'm not getting you shit!
Close your eyes. Cut the crap. Sleep.

...Hell no you can't go to the bathroom!
You know where you can go?
The fuck to sleep!"
Goodreads Librari...: Language in title 4 74 Aug 18, 2011 09:42AM
  • All My Friends Are Dead
  • The Book of Bunny Suicides
  • It's a Book
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • Ten Little Zombies: A Love Story
  • I am a Pole (And So Can You!)
  • F in Exams: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Napalm & Silly Putty
  • Cyanide and Happiness Vol. 2: Ice Cream & Sadness
  • The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody
Mansbach is the founding editor of the pioneering '90s hip hop journal Elementary, and a former Artistic Consultant to Columbia University's Center for Jazz Studies. His work has appeared in The Boston Globe, The San Francisco Chronicle Magazine, The New York Times, Vibe, JazzTimes, Wax Poetics, San Francisco Bay Guardian, Guilt & Pleasure, Poets & Writers, Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthet...more
More about Adam Mansbach...
Angry Black White Boy Rage Is Back The End of the Jews The Dead Run: A Novel Seriously, Just Go to Sleep

“I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.” 49 likes
“All the kids from daycare are in dreamland.
The froggie has made his last leap.
Hell no you can't go to the bathroom.
You know where you can go?
The f**k to sleep.”