Start by marking “Bücher öffnen Welten” as Want to Read:
Bücher öffnen Welten

Bücher öffnen Welten

Schauplatz dieser Geschichte ist eine Bibliothek. Dort werden alle Bücher aufbewahrt, die jemals geschrieben wurden. Ein Buch jedoch ist verschwunden - es trägt den Titel "Für immer leben". Der kleine Peter beschließt, nach dem Buch zu suchen und durchstöbert die ganze Bibliothek. Dabei macht er eine unglaubliche Entdeckung... "Eine wundervolle Parabel über Jugend und Alte ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1997 by Lappan Verlag (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bücher öffnen Welten, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sazzy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Caroline
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Paula Catao
This is a charming and wise story for children, about a boy called Peter, and his search for a mysterious book that will teach him how to live forever.

He lives in a library, which at night turns into a city and becomes alive. He and his family live in the cookery section, in a book called "Quinces".

His adventure looking for this book take us into all sorts of magical pictures - they really are a delight - and the outcome has a moral we do well to learn.

This is not a book for teenies, at my libra
Tânia Tanocas
Jun 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Sou uma fã das imagens dos puzzles do autor, foi esta a principal motivação para esta leitura...
Tenho pena, mas não gostei e foi um suplício terminar esta leitura... :(
Esperava outra estória e não uma leitura recheada de fantasia...
Opinião completa em breve... ;)
Lisa Vegan
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for adults to read first/after reading it to kids; all ages readers who are fairly well read
Amazingly outstanding illustrations! One of the best libraries ever!

I’d say the story is a kind of (view spoiler) for the younger set, but I’m not so sure the story is for the younger set.

It features one of the most creative libraries ever, and I had to read the book twice, once taking very, very, very long to read it. The titles of some of the books are so clever and so amusing and so much fun. It’s impossible to just read the book because it takes so long
Caroline
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Paula

This is not a book for teenies, at my libra
Busy Mummy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a fantastic book and lovely story. The visual imagery in this book is amazing. The whimsical, surrealism illustrations remind me of the artist M.C. Escher.

My boys and I were glued to the amount of detail put in every page and every time you go back to the picture you discover something new. We noticed that Colin Thompson initialled each illustration with the year embedding it among all the wonderful details such as on a tube of paint or on one of the many books on the page.

I recommen
Lauren
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite picture books to use with my class (KS2). The illustrations are beautiful: we spent hours looking at and describing the images alone. My class had a great debate about whether given the chance to Live Forever- would they take it. They also wrote fantastic setting descriptions of the various quirky shelves in the library and of the Ancient Child character.
An interesting story that engaged my class and I enjoyed reading as a teacher. Would thoroughly recommend to KS2 teachers.
Claire Holloway
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly was not disappointed by this picture book. This book is about a young boy called Peter who goes in search of a book called 'How to live forever' so he could live forever; this reminded me of Peter Pan because he is a boy that does not want to grow up - children may also make links to Peter Pan. Aidan Chambers (Tell Me, Children, Reading And Talk With The Reading Environment By Aidan Chambers, 2011) notes that children should have opportunities to discuss likes, dislikes, patterns and p ...more
Bookdisturbed
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In einer ruhigen Straße gibt es eine Bibliothek mit vielen tausend Räumen...."

Bücher öffnen Welten erzählt uns mit viel Bild und wenig Text die Geschichte einer Bibliothek in der bei Nacht die Bücher zum Leben erwachen.

Jede Seite ist so aufwendig und liebevoll Illustriert das man jedes Mal etwas neues entdeckt und es erscheint einem als befinden sicher hunderte von Welten in ihnen.

Viel Story gibt es auf den nur 20 Seiten nicht aber die Geschichte regt doch ein wenig zum Nachdenken an.

Für mich
James Smith
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very clever story with a well-delivered message and amazing illustrations. This is the kind of picture book that will engage children (and adults) of all ages.
Elke
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ich habe mir das Buch schenken lassen, weil ich das Puzzle mit dem Motiv des großen bunten Bücherregals besitze und das Bild absolut faszinierend finde. Egal wie lange man es betrachtet, man entdeckt immer wieder neue Kuriositäten. Besonders beeindruckend sind natürlich die mit viel Liebe zum Detail abgewandelten Buchtitel, die einen mal mehr, mal weniger über den Originaltitel grübeln lassen.

Aber zur Geschichte: diese beginnt recht spannend, die Auflösung selbst fand ich allerdings nur mäßig in
Summer Cull
Peter lives within a storybook in a library in the city. At night, the books and all of their characters come alive. Peter is on the hunt for a lost book called “How to Live Forever,” so that he and his cat never have to grow up. What Peter soon learns is that immortality is not all what it seems, and growing old holds new adventures he never thought he would love. The concept of this book seemed too elaborate to be just a simple picture book. I would have loved to read a chapter book about the ...more
Hastings75
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-harder-2017
I needed to read a "book about books" so this Xmas present was the ideal book to read on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Took 15mins to read as I spent a lot of time looking at the illustrations and the cunning titles of the novels on each page!

The theme of the book is endearing and I challenge anyone who doesn't feel a sense of returning to childhood after reading this beautiful book.

All in all a pleasant read - and a welcome break from my usual crime/whodunnits novels.
Charles
Clever and entrancing illustrations with a lot of visual puns, I had a good amount of fun finding variants like "Moby Duck" and "Moby VanDyck" on the shelves of a library with every book ever written, which comes to life at night with the inhabitants of he books, but the gorgeous art and fascinating world was let down by a dull protagonist and a lackluster story. Still, read through the illustrations for the story they tell. You won't regret it.
Brianda
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inside the museum , nothing is as it seems...
In this book, The main character Peter is a young boy who lives in the museum with the mother and grandfather it starts off how he a shy little boy in the real life but, once entering the museum he's in his own world "air was full of history, soft embracing smell, ancient and timeless with a sweet touch of decay" how there's nothing better then the museum, although; at the same time he talks about how Peter having no friends yet, it doesn't bother hi
Delani Bay-Andersen
How to Live Forever is story about a young boy who is on a search for a book that tells you how to live forever. The boy goes through obstacles to get to the book. In the end, the book takes a turn and what the boy, Peter, makes a big decision. Overall, the books illustrations were amazing. They really stood out and helped create a picture in your mind. For children, this book has a lot of words on each page so it might be a better book for older kids ages 9-10 unless read by an adult. The story ...more
Jane
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It was filled with the scent of spices and ancient memories”

An ok story but a beautiful world in a library with some great wordplay in the book titles on the shelves.

(I came to my local library to see if they had any of the “7 loveliest children’s books” from this list - https://www.brainpickings.org/2017/12... - they didn’t so I picked this up to take a look at instead)
Caitlin Norman
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters - Peter, Brian, Mum, Dad, Lucy, Three old men, The Ancient Child.

Themes - Life, Family, Growing Up, Transitions.

Reflection - This book might be good to read to a Year 6 class, before they transition into High School. It talks about the ideas surrounding growing up and Peter discovers that it might not be as good as he believed to be a child forever.

Classroom Tasks -
Amina M
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
un très bel album sur les livres :)
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pop Bop
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
His Most Effective and Affecting Picture Book

Many people come to Colin Thompson by way of his wildly popular work for the Ravensburger jigsaw puzzle company in Germany. Some of Ravensburger's most popular 1,000 piece puzzles have been illustrated by Thompson as part of his "Cupboard" series of drawings. When people search for "Colin Thompson puzzles", sometimes, if they are lucky, they turn up Colin Thompson books.

The Thompson books are built around illustrations drawn in a similar style, altho
Robert
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
Inside a library with every book ever, their is one book missing called "How to live forever" At night time, the books come alive. Inside a book called "Quinces" is a boy named Peter. Peter is the only that knows about the missing book. He wants to find the book so he can never grow old. For two years Peter explores all types of books in order to find the book that makes you immortal. On a dark shelf below the shelf, Peter finds 4 old men. The men bow to him and lead him into a room of t
Karina Macias
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How To Live Forever is about a library that contains every book ever written but 200 years ago one of the books went missing. The library come alive in the night, windows and doors appear on the books, lights turn on and you can hear the voices of people. A boy who resides in a cookbook with his family, discovers the record card of that missing book and goes on adventures every night in search of this mysterious book that was titled How To Live Forever. One night, after searching from room to ro ...more
Melody
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Live Forever is not a book that tells you the secret of immortality, but a fantasy story about a boy called Peter who goes in search of a missing book (yep, you know the title) from a library where he lives. Well, to be precise, this library will come to life after it closes its doors at night and the shelves will begin to rearrange themselves and the rows of books will transform into rows of town houses and bustling with activities. That's where Peter really lives.

After searching high a
Joann Lee
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weijia Ren
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over and over again. Not only because the fun image in the book watched my eyeballs but also the main idea of the story is very clever and interesting. It is really a fantasy idea that library could become "alive" after midnight when the door is closed. There are so many hidden details in this picture book need readers to discover with their imaginations.
The boy Peter who lives in the library has been looking for a book called "How to liv forever" to ensure that his cat and him
Zulaikha Farah
“I keep saying that I had everything but all I had was endless tomorrows. To live forever is not to live at all.”

This is a picture book aimed at older readers. The book is about a young boy, Peter, living in a library which comes to life as a city during the night. The element of fantasy is delightfully represented by the colourful pages. Peter goes on a journey to find a missing book called ‘How to Live Forever’ which grants immortality. He finds the book but realises that immortality comes wit
Sharon
'How To Live Forever' is an enchanting tale about a boy named Peter who sets out on a quest to find his father who long ago, before Peter was born, went missing from the museum without a single trace. In one of the darkest and most hidden of the museum's many secret doors and tunnels, Peter met a strange lady who had lived behind the walls for many MANY years- a woman and her child cursed by a forbidden book to which no one must read.
This book is called 'How To Live Forever'. And now, Peter has
Daniel Cracknell
'How To Live Forever' is about a library that has every book ever written inside it, except one has gone missing. Can you guess which one? Peter embarks on a quest to find the book 'How To live Forever' amongst the wonderful characters who emerge through the night. I used this book for World Book Day with a year 5 class and they thoroughly enjoyed it. It has lovely illustrations and every page is plastered with colour like the front cover. It triggered lots of questions and discussions, and we a ...more
Lisa Walshe
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would you really want to live forever if you could?

This is a brilliantly imaginative book that children of all ages will love. One night, a little boy who lives in a cookbook finds a file card for one of the most sought after books in the library: “How to Live Forever”. In the hope of finding out how to live forever, he begins his journey through the many books and shelves of the old dusty library.

The book is full of beautiful and intriguing illustrations with something new and quirky to find i
  • A Quiet Place
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)
  • Temple Cat
  • The Little Red Fish
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Imagine a Day
  • The Heart and the Bottle
  • My Dadima Wears a Sari
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Little Beauty
  • The Lost Thing
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Meerkat Mail
  • Do Not Open This Book
  • Library Lil
  • Christmas Wombat
  • The Dragon Machine
Since he started writing and illustrating children's books in 1990, Colin Thompson has had more than 50 books published. He has received several awards, including an Aurealis Award for the novel HOW TO LIVE FOREVER and the CBC Picture Book of the Year in 2006 for THE SHORT AND INCREDIBLY HAPPY LIFE OF RILEY. He has been shortlisted for many other awards, including the Astrid Lindgren Award - the m ...more
“I keep saying that I had everything, but all I had was endless tomorrows.” 11 likes