Start by marking “The Fantasy Hall of Fame” as Want to Read:

There shall be no darkness / James Blish --
Loom of darkness / Jack Vance --
Man
Published October 1983 by Arbor House

To ask other readers questions about The Fantasy Hall of Fame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Mike
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
It's inevitable with any anthology that I'll like some stories more than others, and in most cases I end up not liking some at all. I shouldn't have been surprised that this was still true even of an anthology that wasn't chosen by a single editor, but by vote of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America membership (as at about 1992, when the "and Fantasy" part was added to the organisation's title).

There are 30 stories. The rules limited each author to being represented by only one st
Rachael
this anthology really deserves 3.5 stars but i don't want to round up in this case.

it's a huge collection, which i really liked, and some of the authors i'd never heard of before really surprised me and i loved their work. also to my surprise i've actually read quite a few of the stories before, unbeknownst to me, since they weren't by the authors names who i recognized straight off.

i don't think the editors did a good job at all. that's my problem. you have such a huge repertoire to choose fro
Melissa
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a great intro to the world of the fantasy short story, although some of the material will be overly familiar to the long-time fan. Props to this book for including my favorite Peter S. Beagle short story, "Come Lady Death."
Julie
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I read a few stories in this anthology, but really dug "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas," by Ursula K. LeGuin (I heard about it from my Dystopian Goodreads Group). It was serendipitous to read this after reading THE SOCIOPATH NEXT DOOR--a nice fictional example of conscienceLESSness.
Mike
Jan 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF, seemed more like horror stories than fantasy. 1 Star
Mark Wilson
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“The Fantasy Hall of Fame” introduces the Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader to fantasy stories that the ‘Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America’ felt deserved a place of prominence in the world of speculative fiction. They selected 30 stories from 1939 -1990 that they considered classics.
It ranges from the humorously unserious good natured fun of fantasy to the more serious thought provoking ideas fantasy has to offer. It includes the lighthearted, the terrifying, the morality tale and the mini-
Dark-Draco
This is a collection of 22 short stories that have a fantasy theme. They aren't the most modern of stories, as the book was first published in 1983, but the stories are great. Some of my favourites...

"The Sword of Welleran" where ghostly heros come back from the dead to save a city they love.

"The Women of the Wood" where a lonely traveller becomes embroiled with saving a wood from destruction.

"The Valley of the Worm" where a hero has to destroy a hellish worm like beast that haunts the nearby va
S.S.
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. There were a lot of good stories in here (and some which weren't quite so good, even though they weren't actually horrible). I'm more of a fan of 'serious' fantasy (and high fantasy) rather than 'comic' fantasy, however. (although, having said that, I do usually enjoy Terry Pratchett's books.) As such, I preferred the more serious tales on offer here.

My favourite tale in this book has to be 'The Silken Swift' by Theodore Sturgeon, but I did enjoy quite a few of the ot
Purnima Bhagria
This book was amazing! i love the ending it was the most intense part! i recommend this book for people that are into anthology,fantasy, and action a book filled with packed info its interesting to know about this book because of all the true facts you may think by looking at the cover its not a good book it may seem boring but actually no that's not true the thing is the facts are all TRUE! and that surprised me and seriously surprisingly i loved the book and i think you would too (: give it a ...more
Tzar
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Niejednego zdziwić może, jak szeroko pojmowanym gatunkiem jest fantasy. I taka też jest ta antologia. Niewiele tu opowiadań kojarzących się z "typowym" fantasy. Poziom bardzo różny, z kilkoma perełkami i kilkoma nieporozumieniami, przeważają jednak całkiem niezłe utwory. Zaskakujące jest to, że nie znalazło się tu ani jedno opowiadanie Roberta E. Howarda o Conanie.
Daphnar
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic compendium of stories. Enjoy old favorites (The Lottery by Shirley Jackson) and be introduced to those you should have read. That said, I found the quality of the stories a bit variable, ranging from outstanding to just head-scratching (still no idea what archetypal fairy tale Gene Wolfe was referencing in The Detective of Dreams).
bluetyson
Fantasy Hall of Fame by Robert Silverberg (1998)
bluetyson
The Fantasy Hall of Fame (1983)
BL834
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a Fantasy "best of" collection I was really disappointed. Much preferred "Epic: Legends of Fantasy" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...)
Taylor
Jun 06, 2011 marked it as maybe-try-again-later  ·  review of another edition
All the stories seemed so depressing. Maybe I was just short storied out...
Charles
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A very fine collection of older fantasy stories from the likes of Robert E. Howard, Edgar Allan Poe, Ambrose Bierce, Ray Bradbury, C. L. Moore, and many more.
Juho
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2012
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Night Visions: The Hellbound Heart
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Planet of No Return
  • Best New Horror 13 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #13)
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more