Start by marking “Carl's Birthday” as Want to Read:

(Good Dog, Carl #8)

Happy birthday, Carl! But can Mom surprise him? No way. As hard as Mom tries, Madeleine and her canine babysitter extraordinaire are hot on her trail, tasting the party punch, peeking at presents, and adding some of their own favorite decorations.
Published September 1st 1997 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Carl's Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carl's Birthday

Manybooks
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes dogs and anyone who likes wordless or almost wordless picture books
It is Carl's birthday and Madeleine's mother wants to give the family Rottweiler a surprise birthday party. Madeleine and Carl are sent to a neighbour's house, but instead of taking a nap, they (of course) sneak back into their house, checking out the presents, sampling the cake and so on. Again, almost wordless, with brilliant and wonderful illustrations, Alexandra Day's Carl's Birthday would be a cute and fun story to share with a child, especially a child who has the tendency to be curious ab ...more
Rottgrl88
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-classics

I love this book. I am a huge animal lover and am partial to Rottweilers. So this book was right up my alley as a child. The story is simplistic and yet entertaining. The illustrations are classic and very "artsy". It is not cartoonish. It reminds me of artwork that would be found in a museum. Such a nice story about a family throwing a birthday party for their four legged member of their family. This is the perfect book for any dog lover from age 8 to 88. Highly recommend this.
Erika (OwlwaysReading)
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This book brings back childhood memories *happy sigh* :')
Mallory
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 I love Carl stars

Rereading this series to my niece makes me remember why I LOVED it as a kid!
Shawn Deal
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The entire carl the dog series is wonderful. Told with minimal language, most stories are set around Carl the Rottweiler taking care of a little girl named Madeleine. Sometimes there are more kids but mostly just her. These are great books, if as a parent, you can get past the fact that the parent goes off for a long stretch of time, expecting the dog to watch over the child. Certainly, these stories are set in a different age. They are wonderfully illustrated and kids just love these stories an ...more
Nancy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ378-spring
Text-to-self Connection
When Ms. Baiden mentioned wordless picture books in class the other night. I thought of this book right away.

My daughter loved reading this book as a two-year-old. Although she was convinced it was the little baby's birthday, and that she was that baby. Nevermind that we have never owned a dog like Carl. We also had Carl's Masquerade and she liked that one as well. She wanted me to make up a story for that one.

Wordless books let children use their imagination, and without
Jenny
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
It is Carl's birthday. Carl and Baby are sent next door for their naps while Mom prepares for a surprise party. But Carl and Baby don't sleep..they sneak in and drink punch, open gifts and get into the decorations. Somehow the Mom is none the wiser and thinks Carl is quite surprised when the party begins.
Annie Smallwood
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charity Yost Reed
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like all the Carl books we've read so far and how the illustrations tell the story more than the words. I also like the way they place a kinder light on a stereotyped breed of dogs. These storylines do encourage mischief; however, I'll keep renting Day's books from the library because the illustrations are gorgeous and my boys sit and watch me turn the pages as if they are watching a video.
M.
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a good "read".
Chelsea Gail Smith
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Carl's Birthday by Alexandra Day was a great picture book about an adorable dog getting into mischief with his friend Madeline. I wanted to read this book, because I am a huge dog person, and I was hoping it was going to be as good as it looked...which it was! I found myself laughing out lout at certain parts, especially when it showed Carl and Madeline napping on the bed together. This story was mainly a picture book with very few words. The words let you know that there was going to be a party ...more
Patti
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geno, kids-books
Carl books were suggested in a course for helping parents to work with their children to develop expressive speech. These Carl books have minimal words and many pictures to captivate children. Each time we look at these books we notice new details. Carl the dog is lovable, mischieveous, yet responsible. Delightful in every way and my little guy talks up a storm and his imagination gets sparked. Lovely illustrations too.
Nancy Davis Kho
Oh lord, Alexandra Day, why did you have to write a book that my oldest daughter demanded every single day, WITHOUT PUTTING ANY WORDS IN IT? I had to improv the whole thing, and my delivery did not get better with time. I look forward to acting it out for the grandkids someday and loving/hating it anew.
Devon
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We used this in a kindergarten lesson to increase the students' inferencing skills. With minimal words, students were able to infer whether or not the punch had enough sugar, if mom was throwing a big party, and if the party was still a surprise at the end of the book. Really excellent book, and the kids loved it, too!
Virginia
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids
Recommended to Virginia by: Myself
In my Children's Literature class we are doing an author study on picture book authors. Alexandra Day is my author of choice. When I was little, I read this book and I remember really liking it. I think that it is good for little kids because of the lack of words and the easy to understand pictures. I really like it!
Meg McGregor
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Carl is the babysitter every Mother needs!

This time, it is Carl's birthday and Mom tries to get him out of the house for his surprise party!

But, knowing Carl and Maddie, that duo find out about the party and have a great time even before the party guests arrive!

The illustrations are top notch and I find myself getting lost in them!
Kathryn
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-boys
The art in these books is beautiful and my boys love this one the best, since a birthday is involved. We have a cat and I almost feel as though my boys would rather have a dog at times. Dogs play and let you do things such as place a birthday hat on their heads. Cats run away.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Day, Alexandra
this is a wordless picture book of the story about a dog
Kaye
The entire line of the original Carl picture books are great. They are nearly wordless and imaginative.
Siskiyou-Suzy
My future as a writer was cemented when I got this book and could not stand that it was wordless, so I added my own words. I would give anything for my old copy of this.
Rani
How to surprise a pet on his Birthday? Awesome tips!
Zann
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I love the artwork in each of these books! Great stories told mostly through pictures. Carl is the best babysitter!!

I especially love the cover of this book!! Adorable!
Heather Bowden
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book to have the students make their own story to the pictures. Their is a beginning to the story and an end to the story but no words to read in the middle.
Heather
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless, own, board-books
Always cute that Carl!
Paul
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This mostly wordless account isn't as skillfully or tightly engineered as some of Day's other Carl stories, but still enjoyable.
Kathy
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun nearly wordless picture book. Carl and Madeleine have fun instead of taking their nap.
Anne
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet, nearly wordless story about Carl and the toddler he gets into mischief with. In this case while a party is being prepared in Carl's honor.
Pam

• Sea of Dreams
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Dim Sum for Everyone!
  • Cross-Country Cat
Alexandra Day is the pseudonym for Sandra Louise Woodward Darling. She is the author of Good Dog, Carl and the rest of the beloved Carl books, including Carl Goes Shopping, Carl’s Christmas, Carl’s Birthday and Carl’s Snowy Afternoon. Darling was born in 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to a large and close-knit family. Painting was a popular family recreation, and almost every family excursion included ...more

Good Dog, Carl (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Good Dog, Carl (Good Dog, Carl #1)
  • Carl Goes Shopping