Start by marking “My Father the Dog” as Want to Read:
My Father the Dog

My Father the Dog

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Dad lovers and dog lovers will both delight in this buoyantly illustrated, tongue-in-cheek tribute to the traits these two species share - and why we adore them.

Dad pretends to be human, but the kids know otherwise. Between first-thing-in-the morning scratching, fetching the paper, snacking, lying around for hours, and even the occasional pit stop behind a tree, the eviden
Published April 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about My Father the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father the Dog

Briana
Feb 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Lame.
Lynn  Davidson
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a funny and enjoyable story of a dad whose daughter thinks he is actually a dog because he acts like their family dog. Cut story and illustrations.
Amber Fisher
I love this fictional book. A girl is convinced her father is a dog based off his behavior. Throughout the book, the little girl explains why she thinks her father is a dog, it's quite humorous. Readers will have a fun and silly time exploring and comparing the fathers behavior to a dog's. I would use this book to explore and have children learn about how a dog might act. Super cute book, totally would pick up again to read.
Rosa Cline
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall, father-s-day
This was a very creative text and illustrations that had my special needs grown son giggling the entire time I read this. A little girl believes her Dad is really a dog. Because as she says he brings in the paper, likes to chase the ball, growls when he sleeps and when you try and wake him up etc. And in all these illustrations the Dad is playing ball with her brother, laying on the couch sleeping, driving with his window down etc. A very neat fun book.
Tim Johnson
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-time
A little girl recounts the visual evidence that her father really belongs to the canis familiaris family, thus adding fuel to the age-old feminine rumor that all men are dogs. . .

This was a decent read aloud book in that it kept the kids engaged, led to an uncomfortable question regarding what it means to use a tree for a "pit stop," and that they enjoyed the experience overall. It didn't get as many yucks as I'd hoped but is far better than many other potential choices.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
You know how they say that pets take after their people?
Well, in this one a little girl compares how her father acts to how the dog acts, and concludes that her father is really a dog. The illustrations make this story by showing how the father's actions parallel the dog's. Very cute! Now the author needs to write "My Mother the Cat!"
Jared White
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Personally, I thought this book was great and it made me smile quite a bit because it reminded me a little of my dad, one of my brother-in-laws, and myself. But the nieces weren't quite as impressed, they didn't see as many of the similarities as I did, maybe they're just not old enough to see them yet.
Danielle Messer
This is a very funny book about a little girl who goes over how her father acts just like their dog. She talks about how he wakes up in the morning from the time she goes to bed. The pictures are comical and illustrated very well. I think this book would make students laugh and you could use it in the classroom for a compare and contrast.
Carol Royce Owen
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
My Father the Dog is a humorous look at how dear old dad can be so like a dog. Children will laugh aloud at the comparisons made between the two. "When he toots, he looks around the room like someone else did it. He is good at looking innocent when he knows he's done something wrong." A delightful first book from this Vermont author.
Ms Threlkeld
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Some of the illustrations made me titter and a couple pieces of the narrator's evidence for proving her dad is really a dog made me guffaw. Kids will love the silliness of this story, especially if they have a dog of their own. Could be used to teach about comparing and contrasting, as well as using evidence to support one's thinking.
Katie
Poor dads. This book labels them once again as big oafs. But oh what an adorable, caring oaf this one is. The pictures and text are simple and sweet.

6/6/17 - This story was a big hit with the mom's on father's day!
Ron
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was on our Washington Children's Choice list a few years back. Because of selections like these, I stopped using that program at my school.

I find it cheap humor. Kids like laughing about farts and peeing in the yard - doesn't make it a good story.
Rebecca Mullins
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny. The child compares his father to their pet dog. They do all of the same things, like make messes, scratch them selves, and pass gas. This is a great book for young children to read and to learn to compare and contrast. I would do this with 1-2 grade.
Raven Grider
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is too cute! It's very entertaining and the illustrations are very engaging. I would use this book to incorporate pets, family, and funny stories. This could be used as a lead-in to a writing activity about comparison (family member to a pet/animal). Great story!
Alice
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Is your dad a dog. Does he scratch himself, chase balls, gets the paper, then chances are ... he might be a dog....which is good because "Mom says we can keep him"

A funny book about the parallels of a dad and a dog. Cute pictures...good for a giggle!
Marcia
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
A very cute story of a girl convinced her father is a dog. She provides similarities ( he fetches the morning paper...) and the illustrations show man and dog side by side. A warm, fuzzy story of family that would be a fun read-aloud for Prk-K.
Heather Macalla
A loving and hilarious tribute to dad's and all the wonderful qualities they share with dogs, love, affection, loyalty. Great read aloud for early elementary and younger children. A Wanda Gag Book Award.
JoEllen Mccarthy
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
hilarious and great for sentence stalking-FANBOYS!
Jayanne
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My dad approves this book
Sandi Roe
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
The kids & moms in my story time loved this book! It is a funny comparison between dad and the family dogs. They are both much loved & loyal!
Benjamin
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, story-time
Pretty funny. Cheeky humor that kids will get but grown-ups will giggle about knowingly. Warning: not for the shy of fart.
Michele
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Your kids may not find this as funny as you do... but they will one day. May raise some interesting questions :)
Robin
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gag
A girl compares her father's behavior to that of the family dog. In most ways, the dad and the dog are very much alike. Fun with a little mild pee and fart humor that kids will enjoy.
Rachel
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The similarities this book lists between the father and the dog is funny.
Karen
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's a cute effort -- comparing the dad to the dog -- but it isn't nearly as funny as it could be.
Cara
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute and funny. A dad is compared to the family dog and the comparisons are pretty funny and true. Maybe my dad is a dog?
Val
Feb 09, 2014 marked it as gramma-s-house
Wanda Gag Read-aloud buy for Father's Day
Kelley
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Read this book with Sam, it was very cute for dog lovers, and for kids who have dad's as dog lovers
Gabrielle
I plan to read this at my next storytime. I'm not sure that thesamller kds will get the humour but the parents will.
I'm really excited to read it to division 1.
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Pretty much everyone and his/her dog
Okay, how sad would it be if I didn't give my own book 5 stars? I had to do it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Manana, Iguana
  • The Peace Book
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Don't Eat the Teacher
  • Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
Elizabeth Bluemle was born in Arizona and has since lived in Los Angeles, Berkeley, San Francisco, Oakland, and New York City. She has been an assistant to a television writer/producer, editor of a small press, creative director for a book packaging company, production manager for a literacy press, a volunteer literacy tutor, an elementary school teacher, and a school librarian. She has a master's ...more
More about Elizabeth Bluemle