Start by marking “The Forgotten Skills of Self-Sufficiency Used by the Mormon Pioneers” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Skills of Self-Sufficiency Used by the Mormon Pioneers

The Forgotten Skills of Self-Sufficiency Used by the Mormon Pioneers

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Many people dream of becoming self-reliant during these times of fluctuating prices and uncertain job security. Using truly simple techniques, you can cultivate the pioneer's independence to provide safety against lost wages, harsh weather, economic recession, and commercial contamination and shortages. Strengthen your family's self-reliance as you discover a new the joy o ...more
Published August 8th 2011 by Bonneville (first published June 28th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Skills of Self-Sufficiency Used by the Mormon Pioneers

Cayenne
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a beautiful personal memoir written with the intent of
preserving a pioneer heritage of knowledge on living self-sufficiently and gardening year-round. Much of the information in the book was handed down to the author by his ancestors and he is preserving it in this book to be passed on to his own
descendents and other interested readers such as myself. I only wish
I had an acre of land to experiment with this information. I would
love to own chickens and raise a year-round garden. I fe
Russell
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This isn't a large book, and had large glossy pictures pertaining to the subject at hand, but I found it very informative. It's mostly a beginners to intermediate level of homesteading, with a few pro tips tossed in; it's not hard to read or understand.

What I liked the most was the author put in quotes of journals and personal writings of the early pioneers, and he experimented with the ideas put forth. The book is part his personal journey and part the teachings of generation long gone and most
Elisabeth
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Has some interesting historical wisps, but nothing too substantial. A few times there is page filler not easily related to current content. Pretty light on instruction, very anecdotal and the beginning seems like an ad for the seed exchange...and yet...I read it all in one sitting. Guess I'm a sucker for the topic. :) I am unable to forgive the proofreading though. In addition to a few minor problems, this book stands as a reminder that no text should EVER make it to publishing with a your/you'r ...more
Lisa
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've attended so many gardening & self-sufficency classes over the years and was worried that this book wouldn't have much to offer....nothing new that I hadn't heard before. But, so far, I've learned some really interesting things! Especially the winter garden stuff. I have always wanted a greenhouse, but can't afford one. This book gave some great ideas on a winter garden.
I also love the stories, history, and photographs in this book. I just might have to buy it!
Jill
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok

This is a book of what the author can do, not what you can do. There is little teaching of how to use the forgotten skills.
Wendy
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book focused more on Chickens than I would have preferred, but overall quite interesting.
Charlotte
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've really enjoyed learning new things and remembering old things. I'm so glad there's a place to go to find out lots of the knowledge that is being lost!
Shanda
Just two weeks ago, the residents of Utah celebrated Pioneer Day in honor of the arrival of the Mormon pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. I appreciate the hard work and sacrifices these determined people showed throughout their lives. It seems such a shame that so much of their knowledge and work ethic has disappeared over the generations.

I was surprised to read that our ancestors harvested nearly all year long, including during the winter. I am several generations removed from my farming
Michelle Denna
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although it wasn't exactly what I had in mind and didn't contain all the material I was hoping for it was still enjoyable and easy to read. I was interested in learning about winter gardening and pioneer yeast, and in terms of those two areas I would consider it more of a motivational book than a how-to, although I did walk away with some pointers and a few fruit/vegetable varieties that I want to try. I believe the author is going to be writing two separate books on these subjects (winter garde ...more
Karen
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great little starter book about self-sufficiency. I'd say it's about 60% gardening/cellaring, 30% chicken keeping, and 10% natural yeast baking and recipes. If one of your pioneer ancestors read this book they would probably be shocked that we need a book to teach us these things, but it is basic stuff that has been lost over the years. How did the pioneers store their fresh vegetables for winter? (cellars!) How did they water their chickens in winter with no heated water container? (Chickens ea ...more
Beth
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, but it wasn't as helpful as I anticipated. Mostly because we are already doing many of the things he talks about and don't have the land to be able to do some of the others. The book does a good job of introducing self-reliance concepts and getting you to think outside of our "modern-day box." I really liked that. There are many lost skills we could (should?) still be doing to be more self-reliant. The book doesn't go into great detail, so more learning would need to ...more
Megan
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book covers a lot of interesting topics, but in many ways, it's like a Wikipedia article -- a place to start research, not a place to end. There's just not a lot of detail here. It was mildly maddening to get to, say, the section on seed saving and have the author talk about what seed saving is, then refer me to another book if I actually want to do it. Ditto root cellaring. Ditto...a lot of the book.

Yet I don't regret reading it. I have some great book recommendations now, and hearing abou
J.
Liked it except for thechickensection. It was quite long. We've had chickens for about a year now and I've read a lot of articles and blogs and backyard chicken websites- the author's practices/information seemed heavily influence by the fact that both sets of grandparents had commercial egg businesses. His advice for any blemished/imperfect/dirty egg is to feed it to the dogs. Also advises to scrub all eggs which actually shortens the shelf-life of eggs by removing a protective coating from the ...more
Ellen
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seed exchanges, perennial flowers and vegetables, raising chickens, what has become of the great variety of plants and vegetables and animals that used to abound on the earth--all these topics, and more, are covered in this book. I enjoyed the format of the book. It is a nice size, the pages are heavy and glossy, the pictures are colorful, and I even like the sidebars that act like illustrations made of words rather than pictures. I will check it out again from the library, or at least look it u ...more
Elise Swenson
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Well - I don't think I would have made it as a pioneer, (in case anyone would have ever thought I would). A quarter of the book was devoted to "hen-keeping", not going to happen in my backyard. There were some useful suggestions, none of which I plan to implement. He did leave out the two most practical tips:

1. Identifying which neighbor has the best food-storage supply and becoming their new and best friend.
2. The art of trading for whatever you need, ie: diet coke and chocolate bars (and meds,
Bil
This was a good book, but not what I was suspecting.

Pros: I really enjoyed the history of the pioneers and their stories as they entered SLC and started their farms and gardens.

Cons: I was wishing for information on how to actually do something. He kept saying, do this, and if you want to do that, read this other book because they explain it better than I do. Didn't learn anything about gardening or raising chickens, but did learn about some books to read to learn something.
Lindsay
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
This is a great book for beginners looking to see what's available for living a more self sufficient lifestyle. It is basic, and I would not recommend it to someone who already strives to do that, since many details are not contained therein, but book titles for where to find them are. Ideas like, what food to grow and how to store it, about backyard chickens, growing a perennial border. This would be great for a true beginner.
Ami
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I have read many urban farming and self sufficiency books, so when I found this on the library shelves I wasn't expecting much. I was surprised that the author included a few practices (pioneer yeast and extending the gardening harvest to name some) that I had not read about previously. I enjoyed the color photographs the book included and the fact that the author included several books I could read to pursue certain topics more deeply.
Ginger Churchill
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Informative yet poetic. Read it to smell spring in the dead of winter and to whet your appetite for hoeing the garden. You may even be inspired to invest in a flock of chickens. Well done, but left me wanting even more.I am personally hoping for a more in-depth book covering each and every chapter.
Joe
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a great primer on how to live a more self-sufficient lifestyle, with handy tips for keeping a year-round garden, obtaining and growing open-pollinated plants, and keeping chickens. It's more of an overview book than an in-depth set of instructions, but it's definitely got a lot of interesting and unconventional ideas. I can't wait to try some of them out!
Leah
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Mostly about growing a garden and saving seeds, using pioneer yeast instead of store bought, and raising chickens. Just a general overview, although I will probably join seedsavers.org because of this book (I already get their catalog) and I've ordered some beans from rareseeds.com that I will save seeds from. So, a good intro.
Roseanne Wilkins
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've grown a few tomatoes and peas but haven't done much more than that. Caleb's book is an excellent book for someone interested in feeding their family on their garden. He has advice on what seeds to get and where to get them as well as how best to store your produce so it can last through the winter. He also discusses how to raise chickens. This is an excellent resource for the home gardener.
Krista
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is really great for giving ideas on how to be self-sufficient. It doesn't go into too much detail about how to implement most of those ideas, but it gives you enough to get started, and the key words you need to search this stuff on the internet. It's a very fast read, and I really enjoyed how personal it was.
DaNette
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Great beginner self sufficiency book including topics like year around gardening, storage, fruit trees, pioneer yeast, and backyard chickens. After reading this I have quite a few things I'd like to try.
Criss
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Wow I read this in one night. There wasn't really a whole lot I didn't already know except some of the seed strains and about raising chickens but it was very informative, well written, and interesting. Couldn't put it down!
Wendy
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A neighbor let us borrow this book. This was an informative book with some interesting ideas. Some I think I might try, others I will not. We're thinking about getting some chickens and it had 3 good chapters about raising hens.
Stacie
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of great ideas - I wish he would have included more on how to do some things, but I guess I just need to improve my gardening knowledge. Also makes me want to move somewhere we can have chickens!
Kristy
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this book would be more detailed, but it did give some good tips in how to extend your garden season. I thought the most helpful information was an explanation of different types of seeds and where to buy them.
Shelley
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Introduction only..not in depth, sadly.
Robyn Porter
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked it for the gardening advice, but mostly for the pioneer memories of Sevier county.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Radical Simplicity
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space
  • 300 Questions LDS Couples Should Ask for a More Vibrant Marriage
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants

“RAMPICANTE (ITALIAN VINING ZUCCHINI) This is one of my all-time most-loved garden vegetables because it does double duty as both a summer zucchini and a winter butternut-type squash. This Italian heirloom is a vining summer squash rather than a bush plant. The fruit is long and trumpet-shaped, curls gently, and features medium to light-green striped skin. The flesh looks like other zucchini but tastes sweeter, another reason this squash should be more popular. All the seeds are contained in a small bulb at the end of the long fruit, so this zucchini is easy to use and does not need to be picked within days of appearing on the vine to be tender and tasty, as other summer squash does.” 1 likes
“Making Sugar from Garden Beets I was recently reminded that in his book The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It, John Seymour gives brief instructions for producing sugar at home from sugar beets. Sugar” 1 likes