Start by marking “Mannequin: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
Mannequin: A Short Story

Mannequin: A Short Story

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Lynne's dad often takes her shopping with him at a high-end men's boutique. Lynne likes to sit at the feet of the mannequin in the window and dream of what he'd be like if he were real. One day, a stranger walks in. For Lynne, nothing will be the same ever again.
Published April 8th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Mannequin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mannequin

Michael Miller
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Susan Helene Gottfried weaves a great little story that captures the thoughts and imagination of a young girl named Lynne as she visits a clothing boutique with her father. The story is masterful in its simplicity as Lynne contemplates her relationship with her father, and her perception of him, all within the context of his actions and interactions in the store and within her own imagined interaction with the mannequin.
Sharon
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Susan Helen Gottfried's work. Her characters are richly drawn and believable.

In this book, Lynne is a little girl who is often dragged along with her dad on his shopping trips for clothes that he thinks will make him look impressive to others. Lynne likes to daydream about the mannequin in the window (she calls him Ken) and how different he would be from her father.

On one of the shopping trips, a fellow walks into the high-end store and asks for a purple shirt -- an action whic
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read
Lynne is a precocious child. She dreams that the mannequin in the expensive clothing store her dad takes her to is better than her father and he would be perfect. She calls him Ken because he reminds her of the doll. The along comes a certain man to the store that is even better than Ken. He's got lots of blonde hair, built like an athlete and is all attitude. Maybe a little too much attitude because Lynne decides he wouldn't make a good dad. I think this makes Lynne realize that even though her ...more
Stacy Juba
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this story by the neat cover and because I've read all of the author's other books. It was an extremely well written and original story about a father and daughter, and the theme of the mannequin immediately captured my attention. Fans of her other books will enjoy a little twist at the very end, that the author lets us in on. A great story by a talented writer. This was a real treat to read.
Maria
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, well written story, about a young girl and her father, who doesn't always live up to her ideal. She has created a fantasy figure in her mind of what a real father should behave like. The mannequin in an expensive store looks just right for the part. One day, her world changes when a mystery man appears and challenges her view of the world. An insightful and interesting read.
Literary  Chanteuse
An engaging short story that brings one back to childhood with dreams and imagination. The characters were vividly described and over all a good feel good story.
Darcia Helle
Having immersed myself in Gottfried's 'Trevor' world, this story is a step in a whole different direction. Then again, maybe it's not. Trevor's Song is a rough and tumble read, while this is a sweet, sensitive and insightful journey with a young girl who is groping to understand her father and the world around her. Totally different writing angles but equally captivating.
Amy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clever and intelligently told - the story of a young girl (and her father) and the dreams inspired by the shop store mannequin and how they play into how she sees her Dad.
Sherri
rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2011
L-Squared
Jul 31, 2013
Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2015
Sheila Borton
May 12, 2011
Susan Gottfried
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
nimrodiel
Jul 23, 2012
Susan Gottfried
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shaunesay
Bookreader
May 31, 2018
Andee Kviatkovsky
May 13, 2011
Author and freelance editor to an elite group of writers via West of Mars. A former book reviewer for the World's Toughest Book Critics, I think being an editor has made me even more demanding of what I read for pleasure. You can imagine the heights I seek to raise my clients to.
More about Susan Helene Gottfried