Start by marking “Today We Choose Faces” as Want to Read:
Today We Choose Faces

Today We Choose Faces

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  572 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Angelo Di Negri died an unusual death. Transported several hundred years into the future, he became his Family's telepathic leader. Could he destroy the gang of renegade clones that threatened the earth? Or had he arrived too late to battle an enemy whose mind alone was a lethal weapon?
Published April 1st 1988 by Roc (first published April 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Today We Choose Faces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Today We Choose Faces

Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
A Mafia hit man gains immortality through freezing his body & cloning. He then guides the human race toward a more peaceful existence. When trouble strikes, he is forced to confront pieces of himself that he thought were no longer needed & face down the enemy.

Very well done & uniquely Zelazny. An interesting SF plot is turned to excellent through his masterful writing style.
Earl Watts
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: smart-fiction
you need to read this book through a number of times...each time it gets a little thicker and you find yourself wondering why you didn't see 'that' before. I read this every time I get frustrated with the human race in general and think the inevitable "wouldn't it be nice if people weren't so ......", this brings me back to reality.
Sarah Sammis
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
One of his weirder books.
Alazzar
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took me a really long time to get into this book. Like, 100 pages. Out of 175. I’m not sure why, but for some reason, I just couldn’t concentrate on what I was reading. Maybe it was written poorly (unlikely), or maybe I was just distracted by other things (highly likely, as I definitely had some stuff on my mind while I was trying to get started on the story), but in any case, I found myself a little lost.

As such, I was thinking of giving this book three stars (or maybe even 2.5, which I’d pr
William Gerke
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Continuing my late night reads of Roger Zelazny with a fussy baby in my lap, I picked up "Today We Choose Faces." Zelazny's tale of identity and the destiny of the human race contains all of his hallmarks--a complex, highly-competent protagonist, a setting that accretes in glimpses, action interspersed with philosophical discussion and strategic and tactical thinking. He maintains a high degree of tension throughout, and the ending is oddly fitting if not terribly triumphant.

The central conceit
Thomas
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
I like almost nothing about this 1973 Zelazny pure-SF novel. It completely failed engage me at any point. I just struggled through it because I figured it had to get better at some point, and because is it packed with stylistic innovations that are interesting solely from an academic standpoint. But... it didn't add up for me. A huge disappointment after reading Bridge of Ashes, which has a similar -- almost identical in many ways -- stylistic point-of-view conceit at its core, but works beautif ...more
Velma
What the hell?!? I've been so looking forward to reading some Zelazny, and picked this one up at random (I admit it, I liked the cover art) from the local secondhand bookshop last week. What a universal disappointment. It has all the makings of a great story -- true science fiction tropes like cloning and cryonics, plus an entertaining mafioso-assassin protagonist -- but it failed miserably for me. I was prepared for "innovative" stylistic choices, but this just read as if every 6th page was mis ...more
Melissa
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Ya know when you come upon a group of people and you think you know what they are talking about but after a minute or so you realize that not only do you have no idea what they are discussing, you can't get even an inkling by the context because the language is too ambiguous and everything is "inside" so no one explains anything in a way that helps you to understand what is going on? That's what this book feels like. It's a good read once you realize how the narration works, but it's foggy like ...more
Cynthia
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, scifi
So not really a review per se, but I just wanted to say how much I loved this book. While not as polished as his most famous works such as the Amber series or Lord of Light, it does a fantastic job of showing the unshowable, describing the internal thoughts and minds of the characters in such an amazing way, it puts it on par in my mind with classics such as The Demolished Man.

And that, coupled with the thoughtful, if somewhat heavy-handed philosophy on the nature of humanity, makes me more than
Dev Null
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Totally fantastic. How have I gone most of my life as a huge Zelazny fan - which I have - without reading this one? Seems like its a bit of a dusty old one that doesn't get much press, but I loved it. Much though I loved his amber romps, his sci-fi is so much twistier and more interesting!

Erg. Just looked at my books and saw that this has a lower average rating than The Dark Glory War. That is SO wrong.
Maria Beltrami
Uno strano mondo governato in modo occulto da una nuova edizione della famiglia (sì, quella famiglia), formata interamente da cloni e dedita alla ricerca, attraverso metodi più o meno discutibili, dell'elevazione morale dell'umanità.
Se non che c'è un clone mancante, che non condivide questa filosofia, e riuscirà a ripristinare l'antica, feroce, competitiva, modalità dell'evoluzione umana.
La traduzione è al di sotto del minimo accettabile.
Mattr
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I find it hard to imagine anyone who cannot see Zelazny as a masterful author whose ideas are not only conceived but executed with sublime talent. Though not one of his 'major' novels, Today We Choose Faces gives you a window into Roger's perception of humanity and how thick or thin the veneer of culture and civilization we wear really is.
Peter
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Roger's better ones. I first read it in the 70s, then again last year. As with most of his earlier (pre-Amber Part 2) novels it has lost nothing over time. Not quite up there with 'Lord of Light' (which has it's own internal inconsistencies) or 'This Immortal', but top 5 for sure.
JJ
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty great, the plot was pretty interesting as it spawned several centuries. I liked the way the author did the characterization of the main guy as he transformed from the beginning of the story to the end.
Kaylynn
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
I really liked the middle of this book, but the beginning dragged for me and the end was less than stellar.
Peter
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Before Zelazny got embedded in amber lucre, he wrote some very imaginative fiction. This is one of them. A recommended read encompassing the mafia, clones and a controlled, dispersed humanity.
Gregory Frost
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
an often overlooked but stunningly clever Zelazny sf novel, Today We Choose Faces is a grand carnival act where every mask hides another face.
Robert Haight
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I had never heard of this one when I picked it up at at used bookstore and I am really enjoying it.
Arref Mak
May 10, 2010
  • Drawn with the Sword: Reflections on the American Civil War
  • The Book of Ptath
  • Time and Again
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • The Galactic Gourmet (Sector General, #9)
  • The Stochastic Man
  • Dr. Adder
  • Philip K. Dick is Dead, Alas
  • Vacation
  • Dagger Magic (Adept #4)
  • The Status Civilization
  • The Final Planet
  • A Gent From Bear Creek
  • The River Road
  • Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia
  • Monster Musume Vol. 2
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...