Start by marking “Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists” as Want to Read:
Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists

Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Published April 5th 2011 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masters

liberal sprinkles
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters, book artists, artists
[ read a longer review of Masters: Book Arts at my blog liberal sprinkles ]

This is an amazing collection of works by 40 book artists. It covers a wide variety of book forms, binding techniques, embellishment methods and materials used. Looks like anything can be art, and almost anything can be considered a book.

I certainly am not enamored of all the works presented here but I do appreciate the creativity and inventiveness of the artists. Take Margaret Couch Cogswell's "crowning glories" - books
Ed Smiley
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This fabulously illustrated book shows the extraordinary breadth of what can constitute book arts and infinitely stretches the possibilities of what constitutes a book for anyone less familiar with the genre.

I highly recommend this book to bibliophiles, art lovers and artists, and those who have seen some example of "the book arts" to get a survey of what the field entails, whether it be sculptures involving miniature books, altered books, zigzag books, books with sculpted hollows, alternate bi
Marie Z. Johansen
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I must admit to being somewhat addicted to Lark's "Masters" series. I love the format, you can’t top the photography and the inspiration gained for a relatively small cost is priceless. Ever since art journaling has taken a larger part of my time I have been smitten with the idea of making journals and books. No. I haven't tried it yet because I am in the process of trying to figure out what addictions (reading, painting, journaling, fountain pens, painting etc etc) to keep and which, if any, I ...more
Andrea Blythe
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The artist in this book redefine what books can represent. The art displayed is gorgeous that transforming the very nature of the book. The artists use a variety of techniques and incorporated unusual materials and unique bindings. For example, some books become sculptural, others incorporate miniature, hand-bound books into larger art pieces. Its very cool to look through the very different and captivating art pieces and read what inspires the artist.
Shelton TRL
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-arts
This collection in the popular Masters series, chosen and introduced by one of the world's top curators, offers field-defining work from 43 master book artists. The selections demonstrate conceptual, aesthetic, and technical excellence, as well as incredible beauty. Brief comments from the artists about their work, careers, and philosophies accompany the stunning images of their most innovative and technically accomplished book art achievements.
Brigette
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like the "Masters" series. I've looked at the one on collage, the one on art quilts, and now this one on book arts. The work showcased is often inspiring--sometimes because it's just so good, and sometimes because you look at it and say "well, if they can do that I can certainly match it."
Jen Johnson
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
beautifully wide scope of book artists, with bios and artist statements. good photography of the pieces as well. like a gallery in my hands.
David Skies
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Were it not for all the readily available books for them to dissect, I'm pretty sure most of these people would be serial killers.
Cindy
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Awesome collection of art made from books!
A
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So much beauty in this book. A glorious collection of book art/ists. Definitely worth owning/perusing if you find this sort of art amazing, inspiring, and soul-filling.
cat
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2011
2011 Book 123/100

Loved this collectioin of fabulous book art - and was thrilled to see an Iowa Citian representing!
adriana