Start by marking “Come a Little Closer” as Want to Read:
Come a Little Closer

Come a Little Closer (Tucker Family #3)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  406 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
America's Heartland, 1946. World War II has ended, and everyone is pursuing peacetime's bright promise with fresh energy and hope. Newly-arrived in a small Wisconsin town, Christina Tucker now dares to chase her long-cherished dreams: put her wartime nursing skills to use and reconnect with country life. But helping a shell-shocked veteran recover soon tests her determinat ...more
Published November 23rd 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Come a Little Closer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come a Little Closer

Joanne
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience with Garlock and although I did find some enjoyment through this novel, it fell short for me somewhere along the way. We follow Christina as she starts a new life in a small Wisconsin town.

Since Christina grew up in a rural Minnesota town, life in Longstock, Wisconsin is not too much of a shock to her. She sees many similarities that range from the area business, the townspeople, and even the people that have been affected by the war. The last thing that Christina ex
Kristen
Nov 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, romance
I don't know how this got on my tbr list, and I am not sure why I finished reading it,other than the fact that it was nearly done and on a vacation with little else and a nonfunctioning wifi connection.

About halfway through I thought the plot was maudlin and filled with addicts and crazy murders. Then came the totally there to sell the book sex scene. Which I personally skipped over since I was throughly disgusted with the writing by that time. And then came the epilogue. I should have just turn
Apr 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book was a little all over the place for me and I didn't feel like there was enough emphasis on the developing romance.
Suka
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. Dorothy Garlock is always a great read.
Danthony74
I usually enjoy Garlock books, but this one was very slow and just not a typical Garlock read. It was okay because I didn't really have to concentrate and my mind wondered.
Robin Brennan
Enjoy many of Dorothy Garlock's books, but not this one. Something about the characters grates and doesn't ring true. Finished the book, but... Hopefully her next book will be better.
Megan Marvel
It was OK for a random book I bought for $1. Most of the characters were underdeveloped and the plot was not worth the read. The love triangle was predictable and happened faster than in Disney movies. Luther's reasoning for going after the doctor was ridiculous and the doctor's addiction was not necessary to the story whatsoever. The dialog was terrible! It felt very armature.
Dorothy
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina has moved to Longstock, Wisconsin to be the nurse in their clinic. Her first night there the doctor takes her to his sisters house for supper. While there she meets the two sons but the meeting is not very pleasant. Of course things change as the story progresses. Also there is a bit of mystery and danger thrown in to make it a good story.
Marianne
Garlock's books are a usual interlude between more serious books and provide a nice diversion.
I enjoy them for the glimpse into life in America right after WWII.
Faye
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy read. Just pure entertainment. Good plot but pretty predictable. I I didn't realize this was number three in the series. I will have to check out number one now
Lisarenee
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but no one comes out of war unscathed. Some are haunted by the images, some retreat into themselves, some retreat to the bottom of a bottle or whatever narcotic can bring them escape, some are permanently scared or damaged by the carnage reaped on their bodies. No, while you might come out alive, you're never the same even if the scars can't be seen.

When Christina came to Longstock, Wisconsin she was looking for a new start. It was the end of Wo
Brenda
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading Dorothy Garlock books for years, and I can always count on them to not only transport me to whatever setting she is writing about be she also allows me to connect with the characters she is portraying. In "Come A Little Closer" we get the character of Christina Tucker and the year is 1946. WW11 has just come to an end and instead of heading back to her hometown of Carlson MN she decides to accept a nursing position in the small town of Longstock, Wisconsin where she will be w ...more
Pat
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was your classic American Love story. My mother would have loved it, and that's a compliment. While reading the first couple chapters, I was drawn back to my much beloved Cherry Ames. I became a nurse because I so loved her stories! This is a story of post WWII, in a tiny little town of Longstock Wi. The young Army nurse coming to town to get some distance from battle weary, wounded soldiers. She comes to work for the lone, gruff, drug addicted Doctor, with a sad past.There are hero's, vill ...more
Barbara
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 really. This book was a little disappointing. Whose fantasy is this story? It started off well but desolved into way too many addicts, shell shocked veterans and unrealistic crazy people. One of each would have been better. Also way too much happend in Christina's first days at her new location which made it a laughable fantasy. Don't know why this couldn't have spread out over several months while we were waiting for Christina to get married. Why did she wait a year to be married when she h ...more
Karen & Gerard
"Come a Little Closer" by Dorothy Garlock is a historical romance set in the 1940s. Christina was an army nurse who decides to switch gears by leaving Minnesota to be a nurse in the small Wisconsin town. She finds herself in a love triangle with two brothers who both are attracted to her but very different. Both the Doctor she assists and one of the brothers have issues that she helps them overcome. She finds herself being attacked by a jealous obsessive woman and chased by an alcoholic out for ...more
Susan
It's 1946, after the end of WWII, and Christina Tucker decides to take a nursing job in the small town of Longstock, Wisconsin, working with Dr. Samuel Barlow. Dr. Barlow is well-regarded by the people of Longview, except for one man: Morris Doyle. Morris believes that his younger brother Jimmy died as a result of Barlow's shoddy care and he is determined to punish the doctor for what he's done -- even if it means hurting those the doctor loves most, including Christina Tucker.

The story started
Emily
What a weird book. A love triangle between the new town nurse and the nephews of the town Doctor, a crazy drunk out for revenge, and a psychotic fan girl with a lead pipe and breath taking anger management issues. I must admit I found myself laughing out loud at all the twists and turns in this book, not because they were necessarily funny but because they were so unexpected. I didn't know what I was getting into starting Come a Little Closer but I must say as crazy as the whole thing sounds I a ...more
Cheryl
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice romance story, set in the midwest. A young nurse who has worked for the Army and treated men who were wounded in WWII accepts a nursing job out in the midwest for a change of pace. She gets more than she bargained for as she meets some of the town's residents: the town doctor with a morphine habit, the handsome young man who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder after his stint in the war, the headstrong (and also handsome) brother of the man with PTSD, a psycho woman who stalks the ...more
Jane Thomson
I liked the premise of this story very much, but I found the main character hard to empathize with. Sometimes she could be wise and others she would behave like a misguided teenager. This was a story that needed many more layers because all the issues touched upon are complex. For example, post traumatic stress disorder is profound for those who suffer from it and the author seems to have simplified it to develop the love interest.

There was too much repetition of plantive thoughts on the part of
Nancy
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read. It's a sweet love story of post WWII and the power of bringing demons plaguing the soul to light in order to heal. Christina is a strong protagonist that doesn't make me hit my head on the wall with stupidity but brings personality and strong will to the story. Addiction is also a subject of discussion as many of the characters struggle with one form or another.

A pleasant read.
Ricki
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dorothy Garlock is a wonderful author. Her books have a little bit of history, mystery,with a romance thrown in. This book was quite enjoyable,as were the previous titles I have read by this author. The characters were all well written and believable, with conclusions reached for each character, major and minor.
Stacy Grensberg
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little difficult for me to get into. The first part of the book *about half of it* was somewhat slow and boring. But once I got into about half way it really picked up and grabbed my attention. All in all I enjoyed it quite a lot, and found it to be a good story with good characters. I may re-read in the future.
Patricia Solla
Set in the midwest just after WWII this book is interesting in what it addresses. The only problem is that there is so much going on for one little town that it seems overpowering. Don't know who came up with the title but it's not that suitable to the material (there's one line that is quoted by one of the characters that references the title).
Rebecca Kent
I enjoyed this book but thought the character relationships could have been more deeply explored. Holden's recovery was very quick and easy and Christina certainly gave up her virginity very quickly for someone so proper at the beginning of the book. Story was good but as I've said, would have been better with deeper character development.
Sara
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read Garlock in the past and loved her story telling, but this one was lack luster. I was thrown from the very beginning when they talked about Christina's dark ahir and the cover had a blond....
Doris
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable story, a variety of characters with human faults, with enough backstory to make them real. At first I was jolted into confusion by Garlock's use of semicolons; but after a while I learned to accept them and move on.
Cindy Winder delong
I really wanted to find out what happened in this story, but her excessive descriptions were boring me to tears! After an extremely long description, of an ordinary cat doing nothing exciting, I knew I couldn't waste any more time on this book.
Dawn
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelly
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. The time period is one I don't often read. The storyline kept me interested, but there were too many villians for one small town. The love triangle made me a bit uncomfortable, but I wanted to know how it was resolved. (A lot of names starting with "C". What was up with that?)
Diane Davis
This book was good but got a bit to violent for my taste since it was supposed to be a romance of sorts... I have liked most of Dorothy Garlocks books that I have read but wasn't so crazy about this one...
  • The V-Spot
  • Bride Enchanted
  • The Madman of Venice
  • The Comeback Cowboy
  • River of Mercy (The Riverhaven Years, #3)
  • Finding Faith (New Heights Series, #3)
  • Annie's Christmas Wish (Quilts of Lancaster County, #4)
  • A Texan's Choice (Heart of a Hero, #3)
  • Arms Of Love (Amish Beginnings)
  • To Honor and Trust (Bridal Veil Island, #3)
  • In Perfect Time (Wings of the Nightingale, #3)
  • Truly
  • Somewhere Along The Way (Harmony #2)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • Trust (Bannon Brothers, #1)
  • Balancing Act
  • Yankee Wife (Quaid, #1)
  • Diablo (Texans, #1)
Dorothy Garlock was a best-selling American author of over 60 historical romance novels, most of them set in the American West. More than 20 million copies of her books are in print, in 18 languages. Her books have been on the New York Times best seller list seven times. She was named one of the 10 most popular writers of women's fiction four years in a row, from 1985-1988. In 1997, she was awarde ...more
More about Dorothy Garlock

Tucker Family (3 books)
  • Stay a Little Longer (Tucker Family, #1)
  • Keep a Little Secret (Tucker Family, #2)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Mariana
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel