Start by marking “American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3” as Want to Read:
American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3

American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3, Second Edition, Larry Starr and Christopher Waterman examine popular music in the United States from its beginnings into the 21st century, offering a comprehensive look at the music, the cultural history of the times, and the connections between them. Using well-chosen examples, insightful commentaries, and an engaging wri ...more
Paperback + 2 CDs, 515 pages
Published December 6th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about American Popular Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Popular Music

Corinne
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I had to read this for my *gasp* American Popular Music course. Except I had the second edition which I do believe had a lot more Latin music content.
It was a bit dry at times, but then again if you had to read the entire thing in two weeks you'd get pretty sick of it too. All in all it was pretty interesting and I learned alot from it. The CDs are also nice if you're open to expanding your music tastes.

Valerie
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read most of this book for a music history class I was taking. It is well written, informative, and really interesting. I've actually gone back to it several times to look up specific topics. It is a great reference book!
Erika Schoeps
I had to read a little book of this textbook for class, but then I ended up finishing it because it felt like a waste of money to buy a book and then not finish it.

A basic, helpful walk through of American Popular Music. Not always the most entertaining, but certainly useful. I really enjoyed the focus on race in relation to popular music trends. Recommended for anyone who wants to get serious about studying music, even if you're going into classical or jazz.
Chantaal
BOOM, done. Five week online music course, SEE YOU NEVER.

As someone who loves music but never really studied it, this was a very interesting text to read for my Appreciation of American Popular Music class.

Otherwise, it's a bit dry and if you're not really into the history (or aren't reading it for class) then it's tough to slog through. Interesting, but tough.
Tiennie
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this for my History of American Music Class. It was very informative and interesting. Enjoyed learning more about music and musicians and the political/cultural/social issues surrounding each genre during their popularity.
Toya Fish
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about the broad spectrum of music that is out in the world. Gives a great basic understanding however, has very generational disconnection in the verbiage and how to relate to the targeted audience.
Nichole
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, music, boring
Read this for an American Popular Music course. Informative text, but like most textbooks, too dry to be interesting.
Natalie Donegan
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very clear history book and comes with a CD.
Sadie