Start by marking “Engleby” as Want to Read:
Engleby

Engleby

Mike Engleby has a secret...

This is the story of Mike Engleby, a working-class boy who wins a place at an esteemed English university. But with the disappearance of Jennifer, the undergraduate Engleby admires from afar, the story turns into a mystery of gripping power. Sebastian Faulks's new novel is a bolt from the blue, unlike anything he has ever written before:
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Engleby, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Engleby
Jeff
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In panic, time stops: past, present and future exist as a single overwhelming force. You then, perversely, want time to appear to run forwards because the future is the only place you can see an escape from the intolerable overload of feeling. But at such moments time doesnt move. And if time isnt running, then all events that we think of as past or future are actually happening simultaneously. That is the really terrifying thing. And you are subsumed. Youre buried, as beneath an avalanche, by ...more
Asghar Abbas
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a weird experience. The book was very good and very very well written, but I don't know. I loved it but didn't enjoy it. Maybe because it spoke so well of human nature. Too close for comfort.

Parts of it were undeniably hilarious. Then I realized it wasn't funny at all and yet being human is a funny business.
Jason Pettus
Mar 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

Too awful to finish: #5 in an ongoing series.

The Accused: Engleby, by Sebastian Faulks

How far I got: 220 pages (two-thirds of the way through)

Crimes:
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, unlike most of the other books at CCLaP that were too awful to finish, Engleby stands accused of only one crime -- of
Kurt Keefner
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is a great book, despite the narrative awkwardness that shows up in the end.

It's true that Mike Engleby has a mental illness, but that's not why he's an important character. He's important because there's something of him, sick as he is, in every smart outsider. (And every truly smart person should be at least a bit of an outsider, don't you agree?)

He is fascinated with the popular music of the time, finding significance in it. He politely goes along with people around him, while
Annalee
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Engleby' gripped me from the start. I love books set in Oxford or Cambridge, the whole student scene fascinates me, especially when set in the seventies, it has that retro vibe of a scene I missed out on by a few years. If that wasn't compelling enough for me, the story moves on to London in the eighties, not only the same era I lived in London but also the same part of London I lived in. I ate in the same restaurants as Engleby, we used the same library!

I've been so immersed in Engleby's
Maya
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-2007
This was a really compelling read. I read Birdsong many years ago, and I think that's the only Faulks novel I've ever read--and I frankly don't remember too much about, including whether or not I liked it, so it's unlikely I would have picked this up on my own. An NPR interview steered me in the direction of this book.

A fascinating character study of a sociopath, more telling(particularly early on) in what isn't implicitly stated than in what is. I couldn't put it down. I find myself unable to
Philippe
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My taste in contemporary fiction tends towards authors - Coetzee, Saramago, Barrico, DeLillo, Gustafsson, Murakami, Oshiguro - that master the art of meshing the darkly epic, the philosophically profound and the mildly surrealist into a compelling literary edifice. A few weeks ago I hurriedly picked up a copy of Faulks' Engleby in an airport bookshop. To be honest, I had never heard of Sebastian Faulks but there was something in the introductory paragraph - a mixture of matter-of-factness and ...more
Bandit
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a very strange reading experience. The premise was intriguing, but I didn't really like the book from the first chapter. Being a completist with OCD, alas there was no choice but to finish it, so I trudged on. For the first half of the book I positively hated it, then it either improved or made it seem so through a case of literary Stockholm Syndrome. Now, having finished it, from the rear view perspective, I can't say I liked it, but there was a grudging sort of appreciation. At least ...more
Tori Clare
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My time is stretched, but I want to try to review at least one book a week. Time for Engleby.

This book was breath-takingly brilliant. It was one of those rare books where incredible writing and an intriguing storyline combine to create, for me, the perfect novel. I was completely bewitched by Sebastian Faulks in this novel. A lesser writer may have lost me. Who would have thought that an ex-Cambridge graduate looking back over his complex life and recounting ragged and random encounters of it,
Ava
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that like psychological dramas and/or suspense
Recommended to Ava by: "men's health magazine"
very interesting story - very disturbing. disturbing because the main character is complicated. you know there is something "off" about him yet you can probably relate to him on some level (unless you had a really "wonder-bread life"). by the end of the book it disturbs you that you were able to relate to him at all (and that such a character could exist - but you know he probably could). i like the twists and the complexity. i also like that it is written in 1st person - you feel like you ...more
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most readers of fiction
Shelves: serious_literary
I was quite captured by this character's voice and perspective. Engleby's relationship to the world around him, the way he views his peers for example, is subtly bizarre in the way he is rational and yet weirdly detached. I found the prose to be frequently stunning and almost always fluid and smart. This reads like a thriller at times. It was a intriguing, moody read that I found enjoyable despite its dark tone. I am glad I found this author and look forward to reading other books by him.
Katerina
Liked the first half - about school, college and the start of journalistic career - VERY much, then it got sort of pointless, and the last quarter was just meh. Also, Faulks sucks when he starts talking war, politics, our imperfect world etc.
James
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I had previously read Sebastian Faulk's Charlotte Gray, an historical novel of the best kind both for its historical accuracy and its dramatic characterization. In reading Engleby I found a psychological novel where characterization is brought to the fore with the presentation in the first person. That person, Mike Engleby, gradually becomes several characters as the novel progresses. Much like Dickens, notably in David Copperfield and Great Expectations, Sebastian Faulks's protagonist adopts ...more
Jacquie South
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This is an intense and heavy read, but worth it in the long run. It took me a while to get into it, and it floundered a little in the middle, but the overall feeling of this book was gripping, dusturbing, chilling and sad.

As this is written in 1st person, and as the protagonist is a 'loner' with definite social problems, most of the book is dialogue with himself. This can make for heavy reading at times, but it's also quite inthralling looking into the mind of a man whose view of reality
Tony
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sharp tale. Sharp all the way through. Sharp in its telling, sharp in it's delivery, sharp in its prose. Sharp enough to cut.

And it does.

A 4-star all the way through (mainly due to the narrowness of the story), but it claimed it's fifth in the final chapter.

And what a final chapter.

"Don't look for closure..."
James Ferrett
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"My own diagnosis of my problem is a simpler one. It's that I share 50% of my genome with a banana and 98% with a chimpanzee. Banana's don't do psychological consistency. And the tiny part of us that's differentthe special Homo sapiens bitis faulty. It doesn't work. Sorry about that."

The beginning of Engleby by Sebastian Faulks is deeply irritating. The narrator's condescension and generally disgust with society became boring quickly; this made me mistakenly place the novel into the groan-worthy
Elizabeth (Alaska)
The cover of this edition says "Compulsively readable yet deeply disturbing..." Well, sometimes the ad copy exaggerates a bit. I found it quite readable, though not as compulsively as other books (including this author's Birdsong), and I didn't find it especially disturbing, certainly not "deeply." But if you don't like first person narratives or unreliable narrators, this might not be for you in any case and the exaggerations won't come into it.

This is one long characterization. It is told as a
Bowerbird
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2011-read
Although well written this is not an easy read. If this had been the first Faulks novel I'd read I would not be keen to try more. Towards the end I understood why this book is written in such a way. One is looking into a very dark soul so it cannot be less than bleak. A condemnation of drug culture.
Jonathan Pool
I read this in anticipation of hearing Sebastian Faulks in conversation to promote his 2018 novel Paris Echo.
It was a double delight for me.
I liked Engleby so much that I now regard it as my favourite Faulks novel (of the fourteen he has written in twenty five years). Then, to my surprise, Engleby was referenced and discussed specifically at this September 2018 evening at Daunts Books.
Faulkss comments at the reading (11 years after Englebys publication)
The ending. Engleby continues to elicit
Baba
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Nice work - a look at modern Britain through the eyes of a unreliable narrator 'loner' with a mental condition from his working class background through boarding school, to Oxford and more. A mystery emerges tied around the disappearance of an undergraduate that he admires from afar. With some nicely paced dark comedy this is a pretty good, am quite accessible story by Faulks. 6 out of 12.
Dan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually when I finish a book I am very clear of my opinion on it but this was a rare exception. I thought that it was a pretty average story which was superbly well told. Hence, confusion.

It's quite difficult to describe the whole plot without giving it all away. In essence it is ridiculously simple. Written in the first person, it sees Mike Engleby tell the story of his time at university, the disappearance of the girl he admired from afar and his life from then onwards.

Engleby is a great
LindyLouMac
I found this title rather different to the previous novels I have read by Sebastian Faulks in that this one is a thriller which initially surprised me.

I thought the characterisation of Mike Engleby was excellent. A student at Cambridge when the action, that he narrates to us takes place, he came across as an intelligent young man who is terribly unstable. He unsettled me and I thought he seemed creepy, with his strange behaviour and stalking of Jennifer. Mike is definitely a social misfit who
Natasha Chowdory
Faulks has a way of writing that leaves the darker side of human nature laid bare on its pages and you are intimately exposed to it. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I don't know. But what it does show that Faulks is an exemplary writer. Before this, I'd only ever read Birdsong (which was disturbing and sad on a whole other level). So I had a vague idea of what to expect with this one (ish).

On a basic level, Mike is a thirty-something writing retrospectively but for some reason there are a
Chris Tinniswood
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against all expectations, and rather reluctantly, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Unreliable narrators, especially one as pathologically unstable as Mike Engleby, are fun to read. The suspense here isn't about the plot, it's about the reader trying to figure out what to believe and what not to believe. Mike's darkly humorous, sometimes monotonous (in the most literal sense of the word, rather than the emotions it evokes in the reader) voice lays bare the social and political landscape of ...more
Christopher
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an outstanding novel on many levels.

As a read, it is an excellent story: the bleak tale of a man fundamentally at odds with society in an environment to which, for many reasons, he has been dealt a rough deal by. As a student from a poor background in Cambridge in the 70s; with an obsession over a 'perfect' girl who disappears. As a mystery it represents a classic page-turner.

But this is a mystery written by Sebastian Faulkes; one of the best storytellers writing today. Without spoiling
Trelawn
Not entirely sure how I feel about this one. It's the story of a disturbed young man, Mike Engleby, as he goes to college. The book is written as a memoir and skips back and forward in time through Engleby's time in public school where he is physically and mentally abused to college where is considered a loner and weird. The story builds towards the disappearance of Jennifer, a college student who Mike has become obsessed with. It's always in your mind that Mike has something to do with whatever ...more
Tony Moore
lead by great reviews and my wife's book club, i read this. started to fall apart around page 170, when the narrator suddenly reveals he has a rage problem. really? where's it been for 169 pages? other things i didn't like:

1. the book is set in the past, and characters make predictions about things that will happen in the future (now) and are of course right. cheap device.

2. There is a short rant about the Iraq war at the end that takes the stance that everyone already knows and embraces.

3. the
Karlan
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Mike Engleby's life story emerges gradually from the 1970s when he was an abused student to the 2000s when he is a successful journalist. The novel becomes darker when a college friend of Engleby's goes missing. His memories contain great blanks, and the reader could assume it was because of the drugs and alcohol he consumes. The unsolved mystery haunts him as memories return and his sanity is unclear.
Wangũi Ng'ang'a
August was a pretty unstable month for me so I took a while with this book. Faulks is, thankfully, absolutely brilliant and 'Engleby' was worth going back to after every interruption. The book is now top on my 'to re-read' list. The detached tone of the narrator resonated with me as did his narcissistic cynicism. A must read for people who appreciate blending the microscope and telescope views of life because they feel that they were handed a kaleidoscope.
Cassandra
May 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boring people
Recommended to Cassandra by: bestseller
Absolutely, positively, HATED this book. I could not even get past the first few chapters. If you enjoy reading about the minute and boring details of a character's daily activity you will like this book. Absolutely awful.
The Ending 2 74 Mar 03, 2012 02:43AM

• Ordinary Thunderstorms
  • Armadillo
  • Saturday
  • Sebastian Faulk's Birdsong (stage version)
  • Any Human Heart
  • Swan Song
  • Sweet Tooth
  • The Outcast
  • The Finkler Question
  • Middle England (Rotters' Club, #3)
  • The Flight of the Falcon
  • All Among The Barley
Sebastian Faulks was born in 1953, and grew up in Newbury, the son of a judge and a repertory actress. He attended Wellington College and studied at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, although he didnt enjoy attending either institution. Cambridge in the 70s was still quite male-dominated, and he says that you had to cycle about 5 miles to meet a girl. He was the first literary editor of The Independent ...more