Start by marking “The Canopy Of Time” as Want to Read:
The Canopy Of Time

The Canopy Of Time

Published May 1975 by New Eng. Lib. (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Canopy Of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canopy Of Time

Start your review of The Canopy Of Time
Manny
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This collection of poetic/satirical short stories has some gems. My favourite, which also appears in several other collections, is But Who Can Replace A Man?

It's a future world inhabited almost entirely by robots, who are categorised from Level 10 to Level 1 depending on how smart they are. One day, a thrilling rumour emerges: there are no more men! The last one has just died.

The robots realise they now free, and uncertainly start to organise their own society. The action focusses on one little
Simon
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't tend to read much of Aldiss' work these days although I've read quite a bit in the past. He has some great classics to his name but I've also encountered some of his more mediocre pieces so I had cooled a bit towards him. I've had this quite early collection sitting on my to-read shelf for some time and it was my involvement in a reading group that caused me to get around to it. I'm glad I did.

This is a collection of originally unrelated stories that have been retrospectively arranged
Eric
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
James Bowman
A collection of previously separate short stories written by Brian Aldiss in the 1950s, assembled into what's intended as a single narrative going into the distant future. It doesn't quite work, as most of the connections between the stories only amount to name-dropping, but it isn't really a problem and does add some verisimilitude here and there. (It only completely fails with the very first story, "Three's a Cloud", which also barely qualifies as SF.)

The stories themselves are a mixed bag.
Jim Davis
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had read the Helliconia trilogy many years ago and liked it in general but felt it was a little too long and moved a little too slow. I decided to try this short story collection. Didn't like it very much although I was surprised at depth of ideas it contained for being written in 1959. But the writing style left me a little cold and while the stories spanned millions of years into the future the people, in general, hadn't changed very much until they sort of melted away to be replaced by a ...more
Pablo Flores
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Cuentos cortos con una ilación que se va haciendo más consistente hacia el final, pero nunca termina de cerrar del todo. El libro tiene sus años y no ha envejecido bien. Hay licencias poéticas tan grandes con la ciencia que a veces parece un libro de los años 1920. En otros casos evidentemente a Aldiss no le interesó mantener la verosimilitud científica. Lo mismo pasa en Invernáculo, pero con muchos mejores resultados.

Lo peor de todo es la audacia de plantear un marco temporal que va desde el
Alayne
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book in a second-hand bookshop. Published in 1959, it is a series of short stories all connected with a paragraph at the beginning of each one. It is a fascinating book taking in the life of humans for "10 million times 10 million years". (That's a figure I can't even get my head around!) The only thing that I felt was a discrepancy which shows the book's age, was the idea that Earth is near the centre of the galaxy. I'm not sure when we found out it is out on the edge, but that was ...more
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Brian Aldiss wrote 'But Who Can Replace a Man', which is one of my favourite short stories ever. I found it included in this collection of some of Aldiss' other work, and so couldn't resist reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although none of the other stories managed to displace my original favourite.
Mars
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book would have been amazing... if it was written by someone else.

There is scope of vision, and interesting scenarios, and the universe is somewhat fascinating, and gorgeous scenes at times, but the actual writing and stories leave me utterly cold.
Antonio J. Pizarro
No es un mal libro, pero tampoco es especialmente bueno. O quizás se me haya pasado la edad para este tipo de ciencia ficción. Creo que con las ideas de este libro se podría haber hecho una obra mejor.
Peter
May 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Short story collection - some better than others
Larry
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
I kinda liked some of the stories,was bored with others. On the whole it was ok with some forward thinking ideas from a book written in the late 50s!
Zantaeus Glom
Sep 16, 2016
Goldstein
Mar 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pseudonyms: Jael Cracken, Peter Pica, John Runciman, C.C. Shackleton, Arch Mendicant, & "Doc" Peristyle.

Brian Wilson Aldiss was one of the most important voices in science fiction writing today. He wrote his first novel while working as a bookseller in Oxford. Shortly afterwards he wrote his first work of science fiction and soon gained international recognition. Adored for his innovative