Start by marking “Language Lessons” as Want to Read:
Language Lessons

Language Lessons

Love doesn't come easy. For Joey, he didn't care if it ever came at all. He was much too busy adding notches to his bedpost and preparing for life as an adult. But when a casual fling waxes nostalgic about the one that got away, Joey starts to wonder if he isn't missing something after all, if there really is something to be learned from the language of love.
Published April 20th 2011 (first published April 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Language Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Language Lessons

Start your review of Language Lessons
Sheri
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jay Bell is a master of illusions. Yep. I've figured out his secret.
He draws your attention to one thing...and you never noticed the 'other' thing until it's happened.
BOOM.
Expect the unexpected when it comes to Bell.

Great story....
great gift (thanks for the freebie!)
Jo
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jo by: Justin
This is like the perfect book for a light, quick read. No angst, no real drama. Hot sex and yet weirdly innocent at the same time.
Giulio
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it

Lovely short story about a horny and annoying teenager
who slowly finds out what love is. Loved how the author wrote such a cute story with such a flawed MC.

Simple but highly true quote:

Without Scott, I just sit around wasting my life. But when we're together, every minute feels too important to waste, so I try to be the best person I can for him while trying to make him feel as special as he makes me feel
Anyta Sunday
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5, LOVE this author's style. :)

Just went and bought four other books of his without even looking at the blurb, that's how impressed I am!
namericanwordcat
Hmmm. This was interesting.

A great cover and a really intersting hero. He isn't likable until he is. He is just young and narrow minded or self absorbed or shuttered about life? It is hard to say.

But he does a sweet thing and this is a sweet if way too fast romance about a young man in high school that shows off Jay Bell's writing skills.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Joey was very annoying little man in the first half of the story. I had to remind myself he is just a promiscuous sixteen-year-old (soon seventeen) boy to get through some of his thoughts and actions. His thoughts and the way he acted made it difficult to remember that. He just sounded older.
The act of reconnecting Scott and Bradley wasn't selfless - it was an experiment for Joey to see love.
Greg
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, romance
Raji
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Funny how a 0.99 cents book on Amazon is a free book on iTunes! I stumbled on this book when I was browsing through the shelves for more M/M books.

This is not a full fledged novel but a short story. But Jay, as usual, weaves his magic of words and characters. At first Joey felt a little bit unbelievable and unlikeable but as the story moved along, I could see exactly why Joey was, how he was - I guess abundance of sex makes you a bit jaded (but also very little of it can have the sa
Mike
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay-fiction
I wanted to give this three stars. For one thing, it was free. For another, the author's writing technique is strong IMO.

But I can't. It really just feels like this story missed its own point. I think what it was supposed to be is a story of a boy who realizes that there are better things than casual sex out there.

(view spoiler) ...more
J.S. Young
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt
Still like a 3.5 but I never consider bad for a short story. It's kind of where I place the one's I like. This one was interesting because it kind of plays into the idea of gay guys being into hooking up instead of relationships. Joey didn't believe in love but really he just ignored it. Scott and Brad were a fun idea if a little unrealistic and sweet innocent Philip showed a kind of tentative look at how love can potentially blossom. Sweet and too the point Jay Bell does write some nice little ...more
Monika
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-short-under-50
4.5 Stars

I can see how a lot of people could dislike Joey but I really liked him, he had a cavalier attitude about sex and while I’m not a fan of that I thought he was funny, charming and sweet. It was so cute watching him play match maker with Bradley and Scott and even funnier watching him go on his first real “date” with Phillip. I really liked this short but all good shorts I wish it was longer.

This was my first time reading Jay Bell but it certainly won’t be my last.
Breann
When will I learn that with Jay Bell the MC will never end up with the person I expect. Or the second person.

I love Jay Bell fluff just as much as his angst. Super cute!
jaxnsmom
2.5 rounded up to 3 stars
Alex
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, romance
Stars: 3.5/5

Overall
A funny and touching story in which a young playboy learns about love outside the bedroom. The story is light and humorous, never delving too deep but it is definitely romantic. It could be described as schmaltzy, but I think it's meant to be diabetes-inducing. At least, it worked for me.

The main character is a mix of knowledgeable/jaded and innocent; he knows everything about sex and nothing about love, except maternal and friendship. He's an interesting narrator, alth/> ...more
Yvonne
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-m-young-love
Young Joey who is a veteran of the one night stands at 17, becomes intrigued by the idea that some people get together for more than just sex. When a former crush returns to the neighborhood, he sets out on a journey to find out more about this thing called love. His quest leads him to very interesting mini adventures & to possibly a love of his own. This is a very cute, sweet & funny short story.
Lil' Grogan
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, ya, shorts, 4, contemp-rom, gay
I feel like one of Joey's charmed victims... brat. The unfolding of who Joey is was done really well, with good pacing in revealing the less charming aspects of his personality along with those that had me rooting for him to find his own romance. Sly bits of humour were also well timed.
Emma Sea
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
This short is written well, I just didn't like any of the characters. It's not Jay Bell's fault I didn't like the book, it's mine.
Barbieeee♥
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, swoon
JAY BELL WHY YOU DO THIS ♥♥♥
Sharene Barnes
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good short story that I would recommend to young people who is starting to experience adulthood. I really give this 3 stars. This is the first time I’m reading anything from this author Jay Bell. He definitely has a different style to his writing. In the beginning, I was trying to figure out the angle and the moral of the story.

The main character Joey was a typical young man who just wanted to hook up to have a little “romance” whenever he wanted to. I love his very supportive Mom. It’s awesom
Lena Grey
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
'Language Lessons' by Jay Bell takes a look at Joey, a 17 year old young man, who hasn't experienced and doesn't understand the necessity of being in love. He flits around, somewhat irresponsibility, dwelling on the superficial things in life, not caring about the consequences. Joey thinks he has it all, but having everything on a temporary basis, eventually catches up with you.

At first, I didn't like Joey at all. I thought he was a conceited, shallow, little ass! He certainly was a maste
Ed
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a cute (maybe a little too cute?) short story about a 16 year-old guy who because of his parents' failed marriage does not believe in love. Instead he is really only interested in regularly getting laid. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that especially when you have the raging hormones of 16. That's just who Joey is. When we first meet Joey he is home and sees through his window a guy whom he has longed to snag for at least two years and who has just come home from college. For the ...more
Farith
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
A while ago I read another short story from this author, which was Like & Subscribe and I didn't really like it. I decided to give Jay Bell another opportunity and I read Language Lessons.
Just NO. Again. Sorry.
In my reviews I always complain about how much I love or hate characters -and how well done sometimes they are. This time I have to say that -again- I hated Jay Bell's characters.
I also don't like the way this author talks about homosexuality in his books. In Jay Bell's bo
Jim
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not a fan of short stories but I am a fan of the Authors work so I decided to give Language Lessons a go.

As short stories go, it was ok.

Were Introduced to Joey, a confident 17 year old who is only interested in one thing, Sex, well ok, 2 things, Sex and his appearance, but the latter is only a device to help him obtain the former. He hooks up with an old crush and learns of said crush's love for another. Joey architects a meet with the two of them at a restaurant and whilst ther
Michael Joseph
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-contemporary
At just 17, the out and very clothing conscious Joey is already a bit of a player. He enjoys the game of seducing and bedding every cute guy he meets. Love doesn't enter into it. Joey isn't sure he even believes in love. But then a bit of pillow talk with an old crush he's finally conquered has him considering the possibility. Joey's life is further complicated when he encounters Phillip, a dreamy little twink that has Joey doing things he wouldn't ordinarily do, like actually getting to know a ...more
Ariana
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3,5 stars.
That was such a cute story.
Joey is pretty young, out and proud and sexually experienced.But he doesn't believe in love. Not after what he experienced between his mum and dad who are now divorced. Does a thing like that really exist?
This is about Joey's 'quest' to figure this question out. I liked how the author (view spoiler) It w
Fangtasia
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone hankering for a sweet, young romance morsel
This short story once again proves why Jay Bell is so good at writing YA M/M.

Joey's behavior reflects what he sees at home. His parents are divorced, Mom is always in search of Mr. Right, but having lots of fun with Mr. Right Now while looking. Joey is always on the prowl for quick, no-strings sex. Sex appeal, self-confidence, he's got it and knows how to use it. Just finished high school, why think of a long-term relationship bliss with so much short-term hook-up happy around? Then Joey's curi
Beck
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book will go straight into my 'Utter Bilge' folder. Joey was a teenager with self-esteem issues camouflaged with snappy clothes. He also had serious cynicism regarding love. Instead of exploring these issues, the author related a shallow tale of hormone-driven sex. Joey and his mother were shallow under-developed characters who were difficult to like. I couldn't stomach finishing the book and I am unable to find anything positive to say about it except that it was free.

Originall
K.C. Beaumont
I really, REALLY wanted to hate Joey from the beginning. Superficial, cocky, and motivated by his libido. Then again, he is a teenaged boy, and for most teenaged boys, that's par for the course. His lack of verbal filter upon meeting Phillip made me want to slap the snot out of him, but I was grateful to see he redeemed himself as his story progressed.

I love the way Mr. Bell tells a story and I'm impressed that even with a short story, he can make me run the gamut with emotions. Looking forward
Kendra T
This was an OK read for me. Joey annoyed me a bit, but he was a typical 16 y/o boy. Felt awkward to me as I am not typically a fan of the younger age romance. Phillip was a sweet character, and although everyone deserves redemption, I didn't like Joey for him because he deserved better for his first boyfriend. I guess, however, that is usual for young love. Don't know if I believed Joey would be what Phillip needed.
Matthew
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a really sweet, happy short story. I was so happy to see love work, and to see Joey learn to love that I wanted to share it with other people. Other than Joey being 16 and manipulative, I think everyone would love seeing the cynic learn to love. It's a cute little work and I recommend it for everyone who isn't uncomfortable with underage protagonists.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• If It Ain't Love
  • Best of Both Worlds
  • Why Love Matters
  • How to Be a Normal Person (How to Be, #1)
  • Wanting (Wanting, #1)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Learning to Feel
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • The Queen & the Homo Jock King (At First Sight, #2)
  • When I Say When
  • Just a Dumb Surfer Dude (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #1)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Paulie
  • Watching Elijah Fall
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • The Jewels of Bangkok
  • Facing the Music: My Story
Jay Bell led a quiet life in Kansas until the day he met a handsome foreign exchange student who swept him off his feet and carried him all the way to Germany. Much to their delight, marriage awaited them when they got there. While living so distant from friends and family, Jay began writing in an effort to reconcile the mixture of devotion and alienation he felt. This resulted in a Lambda Literar ...more
“...and history felt like a conjuring trick. All of this had been in plain view the entire time, but only now did the magician allow Joey to see it all.” 1 likes