Start by marking “The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm, #1)

The Coming Storm

(The Coming Storm #1)

Elon of Aerilann, Elven advisor to the High King of Men, helped negotiate the treaty between Elves, Dwarves and men. He suddenly finds that fragile truce threatened from without by an unknown enemy and from within by old hatreds and prejudice. With the aid of his true-friend Colath, the wizard Jareth and the elven archer Jalila, he goes in search of the source of the threa ...more
Published April 13th 2011 (first published March 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming Storm

Bookwraiths
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
 Patches Braz
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, loved

Elon is an Elf and Adviser to the High King. He helped Men and Dwarves to work together even on the now shaky ground, as things are happening that are very dark. He has a small close group of friends made up of Colath an Elf, Jalila also an Elf, and Jareth a Wizard. Each of them has an important part to play in helping Elon find what this dark is. Animals that are not supposed to be in the lands are coming in and some are even working together. This is the first that will alert many that Darknes
Sheila
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Ailith is a great heroine...strong of character, brave, and unshakable in her sense of right and wrong. I love that she is human in this book, meaning she is not an impossible beauty who never makes mistakes. She is fallible and quick to admit it. I easily found myself in her world, and was caught up in both her fate and the fates of her companions. If you are a fan of fantasy, I recommend you try this book.
Kim
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Tolkien like fantasy that had me enthralled so much I gave myself a headache as I could not put the book down. The three plot built whilst unfolding the five main characters stories. Only issue I had was that it should of been proof read better, there were some grammar errors. Must get the follow on book.
Robert Parker
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Besides the oft-mentioned lack of proof-reading, about the only thing that could improve this book (unless I missed it) is a map :)
Lindsey Roberts
Valerie Douglas manages to create a fantasy world with seemingly very little effort in her novel, The Coming Storm. From page one, the reader is taken into a world full of mythical beasts and magic that we don’t understand. She hasn’t set her rules for the magic yet, but somehow it works. The unknown from the reader’s perspective adds to the fear and tension that Douglas creates. Understanding comes later when the characters can take a breath, yet we are so wrapped up with what just happened and ...more
Julie Ramsey
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm #1) by Valerie Douglas

Donna K Fitch
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The Coming Storm is the most compelling book I've read in a long time. I realize that's a gushy way to start a review, but as a long-time reader of fantasy novels, I'm comparing it to the often cliched books of the same type.

Regardless of genre, Valerie Douglas has created a realistic and internally consistent world of compelling characters. I like strong female characters, and Ailith is certainly that. She's heroic without being annoying. She doesn't succeed at everything she does, and is well
Paul Kater
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Coming Storm is one of those books that suck you into a different world, one you hate to leave whenever you have to put the book down. Even worse than that: after finishing it, I had to run over and get the last book in the trilogy because I have to know how the whole story ends! Valerie Douglas wrote a masterpiece, taking the reader to a fantastic world with Elves, Dwarves and Men, where battles of the mind and the heart are fought next to a war against an uncanny enemy.

If you’re a fan of e
Karen Aminadra
May 16, 2012 marked it as to-read
I'm starting to get into this now. It was slow to begin with and I wasn't sure who was Elf or Human, but I'm getting there and now my interest is piqued I shall keep going.
I'm interested to find out what this 'nothing' is exactly.
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Although it could use some more polish and at least one transition left me in total confusion, I really enjoyed this fantasy. But it isn't a light and happy one, so don't read it if that's what you want. It is a powerful tear jerker instead.
Louise
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
ENJOYED IMMENSLY
Kyla
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved! Immediately bought the sequel...couldn't put it down!
Julie Ann Nelson
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An amazing book about Elves,Dwarfs and Wizards. I did't want to put the book down as I was pulled into their magical world!
Riko Stan
Sep 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only got a few pages into this one. I am never a stickler for grammar or punctuation, but I found myself re-reading paragraphs over and over again. I'll try the book again later, hopefully after it has been to an editor.
Teresa Ballard
Erin Kelly
Jun 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Audiobooks: The Coming Storm available on Audio 1 14 Dec 26, 2018 06:09AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Classic Heroic Fantasy - The Coming Storm series 2 19 Jun 22, 2014 11:03AM
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods, #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • Wrath of the White Tigress: A Tale of Pawan Kor
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • Soul Seeker (The World of Lasniniar, #1)
  • Magnus Opum
  • Assassin's Curse (The Witch Stone Prophecy, #1)
  • Revenge of the Elf (Nysta #1)
  • The Last Elf of Lanis (Wealdland Stories, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Escaping Destiny (Tapestry Chronicles, #1)
  • Hunting the Five (De la Roca Chronicles, #1)
  • Crescent Bound (Crescent Bound, #1)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
Valerie Douglas is a prolific writer and a genre-crosser. She writes classic, epic, and historical fantasy, suspense, thrillers, and romance. Her book Song of the Fairy Queen was nominated by Top Shelf Magazine for a Best Indie Author Award.

She is also co-founder of the FB Indie Author Group, to help other writers with their work.

Happily married, she's companion to two dogs, four cats and an Afric

The Coming Storm (5 books)
  • A Convocation of Kings (The Coming Storm, #2)
  • Not Magic Enough (The Coming Storm, #3)
  • Setting Boundaries (The Coming Storm, #4)
  • Not Magic Enough and Setting Boundaries Boxed Set (The Coming Storm)