Start by marking “The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights” as Want to Read:
The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights

The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights

Over the last decade and a half there has been a steady stream of new insights that further illuminate the dynamics of emotional intelligence. In this eBook, Daniel Goleman explains what we now know about the brain basis of emotional intelligence, in clear and simple terms.

This eBook will deepen your understanding of emotional intelligence and enhance your ability for its
Published 2011 by More Than Sound

To ask other readers questions about The Brain and Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brain and Emotional Intelligence

Start your review of The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights
Harrison
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Daniel Goleman introduced the concept of emotional intelligence to psychology. This book presents some new insights into the relevant neuroscience discovered during the last several years. So while I looked forward to reading it, I wasn't expecting it to be only 78 pages. The chapters are very short and to the point, but a more comprehensive treatment would be welcome.

Goleman summarizes his emotional intelligence framework (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relation managem
Rubina
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short but very fascinating read. Goldman covers the how emotional intelligence and the brain are linked; the different sections of the brain that are affected by stress, afflictive emotions, and how practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques can help.
Adina Dragu
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a short and easy to read and understand introduction on the existing relations between various brain structures and our emotional manifestation. The part about the brain is presented rather briefly, the discourse going rather into the concrete of our daily behavior, which makes the book enjoyable and useful for a larger group of readers. I would have appreciated a larger development of the elements regarding brain research and science. ...more
J
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
While part of the title claims 'new insights,' The Brain and Emotional Intelligence just summarizes what Goleman has already put out in some of his other books. It is a quick thumbnail synopsis and therein lies its value. ...more
Debbie
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do all educators love reading about brain research? Emotional, social, cognitive learning - you name it, our little ole brains actually have the ability to learn and grow in just the ways we need. Take that cell and think it, think it, think it--like watering a plant. Encouraging news :)
Sharon
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A good recap about the importance of emotional intelligence in mitigating work and life stress.
HastyWords HastyWords
I loved this book for several reasons.

It is well organized, is a fast read, and is very easy to understand. I am not an expert in the field but I am very interested in learning how and why we have the emotions we do. This book explains the basics without a ton of scientific jargon. When you are done reading a chapter you understand the bottom line and can apply it to your personal life.

I am very glad I read this book and have bookmarked several pages to revisit.

On a personal note I was diagnos
Judy
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A short review of brain research as it bolsters emotional intelligence insights. Might be boring for someone who is keeping up with this but just right for me. Borrowed this Kindle book (though I have a Nook) from a friend and that worked easily and well. (I read it on the Kindle app on my Ipad.) Two weeks was plenty of time to read this short book. However, I highlighted notes and now can't retrieve them from Amazon. ...more
Jay
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Goleman describes research and conclusions on emotions and psychology. Very little self-help, but what’s there is a short how-to-change-habits discussion, covered quite well in other popular books. The benefit to this book is that it is short and concise; there aren’t a lot of digressions. Otherwise, it seemed quite familiar. If you are well read on emotional intelligence, decision making, habits, and the like, this is an unnecessary summary.
Dan
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Too brief to be informative enough as an introduction. And if it's only meant to give a taste of other books on the subject of EI then it should at least be free. ...more
Kali
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wish this was better, since Goleman's Vital Lies, Simple Truths was terrific. But this seems more geared for corporate coaches than for psychologists or other researchers. ...more
Ann Oliveri
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent insights from 30 years of research, connecting the dots from neuroscience to emotional aptitude.
Drick
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Very short book (73 pages) outlining some of the most recent research on brain function as it relates to social and emotional intelligence
Illimar Kaasiku
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful and short overview on the subject of emotional intelligence! I find it's a good introduction to Goleman's work. ...more
Chris March
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The promise of this book, to concretely classify, and better understand emotional states with brain research, are met about as well as you might expect, given how very short the book is, and how early it is in the scientific quest to understand the brain. I read this to just get a taste of the author’s writing, and I hope it isn’t usually this lacking in detail, speculative, and reliant on executive training analogies.

I did enjoy the discussion of the trade offs of creative/uncritical bias of e
Christian Jespersen
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book isn't bad, but a I found it to be a hard read, and not as captivating as I was hoping for.

It felt like reading one long medical journal (I am not a doctor, and have never read a sinlge medical journal).

But besides the difficult language, the book is a treasure of knowledge. The book focuses more on the downside of low EQ, which makes a bit depressing to read, but still very important.

Combine this book with a stoic mindset, or simply just read Meditations, you have a solid platform to b
Lilia López
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Este es un libro muy cortito, pero con información muy interesante acerca de como funciona la inteligencia emocional, las áreas cerebrales implicadas y de nuevos descubrimientos acerca del funcionamiento del cerebro, como la neurogénesis, explicado de forma amena y sencilla.

This is a very short book, but with very interesting information about how emotional intelligence works, the brain areas involved and new discoveries about how the brain works, such as neurogenesis, explained in a pleasant an
Alexander
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Quick and concise. Surface level reminders about interaction styles and how they are loosely associated to brain regions. Very "pop-psych"-ish. Writing style and drive-by approach to scientific studies and anatomy was not quite my style. But a quick read with some good concepts.

For more in depth science ideas scope out "Behave", "Idiot Brain", "The Body: A Guide for Occupants", "Algorithms to Live By", "The Moral Animal"

For more applicable social concepts check "Talking to Strangers", "Mindset
AnaMaria Rivera
This is more an update and series of articles, (nicely written), on some of the latest research on Emotional Intelligence and its neuroscience relationship. It provides a nice neuroscience 101 reading for those who are curious, would like to learn more bit don't want to navigate through cumbersome language. ...more
Hanie Noorhelmee
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book published after Emotional Intelligence and the title speaks for itself, it studies parts of the brain the relates to emotional intelligence attributes. An interesting read for sure but, I personally prefer The EI book better. Would definitely recommend if you would want to know about studies on our brain and it’s relation.
Lauransia O.
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I might be a big fan of Goleman and chose to put Emotional Intelligence as my master thesis.
Former of his books have a big role why he finally wrote and published this book.
More scientific, indeed.
He took Emotional Intelligence to a whole new level.
Tina
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
This is a short book with a few interesting facts in it.
Jmp
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read. Clear definitive
Diego Morales
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that also disseminate scientific advances in the neuroscience of emotions, gives us clues to the actions we can take to improve our quality of life as individuals and groups.
Sarah Grant
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's an educational book so can get slow at times. However, I found this an insightful read and enlightened the way I live my life. Worth it. ...more
Amy Morgan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. If you know a little about emotional intelligence, this is just a refresher and some updates studies. If you know nothing about EI, I think this could potentially be a good little primer.
Aurelian
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A light read, doesn't go in to much detail about emotional intelligence. I didn't like the fact that it jumps from research to research without going in detail about them. ...more
Orlando
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Trite insights. Feels hokey and based on intuition rather than science.
MaryJane Obilor
Good read
Austin
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Brief but exactly what I was looking for
Linking emotional intelligence with structures and chemistry of brain. Some suggestions on tools to learn.

• Nothing Changes Until You Do: A Guide to Self-Compassion and Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • Puterea prezentului
  • Mindfulness Urban
  • Trăiește autentic
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • Komisch, alles chemisch!
  • Insomnii
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Necenzurat
  • Alt timp nu am. Despre scurtimea vieții. Despre viața fericită
  • Musai List
  • Conjugat la feminin
  • Poke the Box
  • Mind – A Journey to the Heart of Being Human
  • Ansiedade - Como Enfrentar o Mal do Século
  • Por que fazemos o que fazemos?
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busin