Start by marking “Letters to a Prisoner” as Want to Read:
Letters to a Prisoner

Letters to a Prisoner

Required Reading at Habilitat-the place of change.
Honorable Mention in Poetry at the 2011 New York Book Festival.
Poems and letters from a Mom to her meth addicted son in prison as she learns to confront the addiction demons and stop enabling.
Get unstuck and learn to spot YOUR enabling behavior.
Paperback, Second , 100 pages
Published January 5th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Prisoner, please sign up.
Cornelia DeDona There are no easy answers to this. It depends on the person, how they perceive themselves, their willingness to ask for help and to learn. I quit…moreThere are no easy answers to this. It depends on the person, how they perceive themselves, their willingness to ask for help and to learn. I quit smoking cigarettes by enrolling in a Stop Smoking Program. It was the best choice I ever made.(less)

Start your review of Letters to a Prisoner
Kitty Honeycutt
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: "Letters to a Prisoner”
Author: Connie D
Published By: Self-Published
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: Connie D. expresses her anger, anguish, sadness, and most importantly a mother’s never-ending love and hope of redemption for her meth addicted son in this amazing book of letters and poems.
For anyone that has or is dealing with the heart-ache of an addicted family member, this book is a great and informativ
Eric Shaffer
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
An honest and searing look at what being the mother of a meth addict means--with all of the horror, confusion, revulsion, repentance, anger, and resignation required by the circumstances. The book does reveal how personal catastrophe can inspire one to stand up and speak as we all must do, loudly and clearly, at least once in our lives.
Valerity (Val)
This book is a collection of poetry letters from a mother to her meth addicted son who is in prison. An enlightening look at how she connected with him while he was in and how she coped with how addiction was affecting both of them. Showing pain yet remaining with some hope. Required reading at Habilitat - The place of change. Most of us can relate on some level or another.
Rhea
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this through the Goodreads giveaways, so I was super excited about it!

The book came this morning in the mail, I received it at around 7:00am, and I finished the book at roughly 9:30pm(this is only because I had things to attend to during the day), because I just couldn't stop reading the book. After reading the first page, I said "I'm finishing this book today" and that is exactly what I did. I just couldn't stop reading it, I just couldn't help but devour the content and get s
Kortney
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book to me looked like it would probably be something I am not interested in. Turned out to be the complete opposite. I read all of it in about an hour. The one thing I disliked about it is that there were no letters specifically from her son. Other than that I loved her letters responding to her sons as well as the poems she included with the letters. The similes and metaphors put everything into reality just how serious she felt about it. Not like those that sometimes are just like "yeah ...more
Jennifer Benson
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A powerful, thought provoking book written in free verse poetry. The subject matter is from the prospective of a mother dealing with the roller coaster of emotions that come with having a crystal meth addicted child that is incarcerated. It is a journey of questioning where she went wrong as a parent, how she enabled his habit along the way, and ultimately realizing she needed to let go for her own sanity and well being as well as his.

Connie D. encourages finding help. Knowing you are not alone
Cornelia DeDona
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone who is dealing with addiction in their family
Honorable Mention in Poetry at the 2011 New York Book Festival!!
Outstanding! A unique perspective from a Mom into the mind of the enabler.
Available now on: Goodreads E-Pub, Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Nook and Apple through Blurb. com Click on this link for Apple downloads: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail...

This problem affects everyone in the family, not just the addict. A Survivor speaks out!
Required reading at Habilitat-the place of change, a drug rehab in Hawaii
Griffin Larson
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very touching book. I loved the poems and the emotions put into them. The individual letters in this book, to the prisoner, also made this book rememberable. It was a book that wouldn't usually be in my genre, but I found it extremely great to read. Thank you for the signed edition of this book.
Doug
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a book I won through the site. The author shares letters she has written to her son in prison along with poems concerning her son's meth addiction. Both are courageous works which display raw emotions. She displays her role as an enabler as well as a parent practicing tough love. This book is meant for other parents who may be going through similar situations. According to the author her son has been sober for over a year now and he is doing well.
Minisha Patel
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Good descriptive poems, my favourites were Enablers and Affliction. Very quick read. Nice to get a mothers point of view and emotions of a son's meth addiction.
Sophie
Crystal Berry
Oct 22, 2011
Parents' relationships with their children 1 1 Jun 27, 2016 05:52PM
Parents' relationships with their children 1 1 Jun 27, 2016 05:46PM
Cornelia DeDona is the recognized author of Letters to a Prisoner by Connie D. She is a co-editor and the creator of one Anthology, Saturdays with Lillian. Published from 2008-2013 in Rain Bird, award-winning Literary and Art journal of Windward Community College, Kaneohe, Hawaii; in 2010 her poem, Writing Retreat received Rain Bird's, Kolekolea Honorable Mention and in 2013, she won Rain Bird's c ...more
“If practice makes you perfect
shouldn't good behavior be added
to the curriculum”