Start by marking “Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Vol. 1 - Ianto's Tomb” as Want to Read:
Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Vol. 1 - Ianto's Tomb

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Vol. 1 - Ianto's Tomb

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The post-apocalyptic Dungeons & Dragons setting's first-ever comic! Beneath a crimson sun lie wastelands of majestic desolation and cities of cruel splendor, where life hangs by a thread. Welcome to Athas! When an imprisoned gladiator named Grudvik escapes the city of Tyr, a part-time slave hunter and full-time dune trader is hired to bring back the fugitive. But after ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by IDW Publishing (first published August 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeons & Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeons & Dragons

Frans Karlsson
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-dd
A comisc book adaptation of the DD world Dark sun. It was quiet a good story that both had a decent adventure story that was about a treasure that could help reverse the destruction of the world and the book also showed the world in a good way. I enjoyed it.
Karissa
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it

I got an eGalley of this book through NetGalley(dot)com. This book was an interesting concept. Basically it starts with a graphic novel set in the Dark Sun world, then after the graphic novel there is infomation (monster stats, maps) on running the story as a campaign for a group of Dungeon and Dragons (DnD) characters.

The story features an ex-gladiator and a bard who meet in the desert. They are trying to get into a city but run into quite a bit of trouble along the way. The ARC I got only incl
Keith Irwin
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a comic about a gladiator and a girl and a desert and a key and a secret society and preservation. If that sounds a little confusing, well, it is. The basic events of the plot are not hard to follow, but the whys for most of the second half are kind of confusing. Basically, about the first third or so is really clear and does some nice fleshing out of characters. But then the two people trying to get back to the city do and then things get unclear.

Having read the whole thing, one of the
Rick
Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: D&D fans; Sword & Sorcery fans
I have to admit that I was not expecting much from this. In fact, i thought it was going to be pretty bad. I was wrong. It was well written and the art was fantastic. This was an all around decent book. I think of the strengths was that it was formatted as a mini-series and not an ongoing. While it is certainly open for a sequel, the necessity of ending the story enabled the writer to craft a tighter narrative and focus on some nice character development and progression. The best part is that it ...more
Luc
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Bought this as an inspiration for an eventual Dark Sun campaign but this book hardly has any plot so it's a little light on the inspiration part.

It did however get a lot of the look and feel of Dark Sun wrong. The hairy Mul and the bearded dwarf amongst other. I also disliked that it tried to showcase the 4th edition version of DnD so much going so far as to put a thiefling character but foregoing most Dark Sun races like Half-Giants and thri-kreens.

Overall, the lack of any kind of attention to
Benjamin
Got this as part of a humble bundle collection. I used to love Dark Sun as a setting for D&D. And I thought the classic Forgotten Realms comics were a hoot.

But this really didn't work for me, either as a comic or as a tie-in. The characters were too thin, as if we were supposed to like them just because they were the main characters; the obstacles were too easily brushed aside (and the pacing is very much just a string of random encounters). And the drawing didn't really help clarify things.
Silas
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have had a soft spot for Dark Sun ever since it came out (it probably helps that I was ten at the time). This book captured the feel of the setting rather well for me, even if it was a little light on some of the story details. In many ways, it was just an adventure story, and if you didn't know much about Dark Sun beforehand, you wouldn't know it afterwards. A lot of it probably wouldn't make a lot of sense, either. If you do, though, is a fun romp, though like all of the newer IDW books, the ...more
Baal Of
A decent adaptation of a D&D adventure into comic form. It uses a lot of the typical D&D campaign tropes, but then what should one expect? Betray, a plundered tomb, ancient societies, misfits forced to work together, all set in the Dark Sun universe, and it does a good job of bringing the feel of that world forward. Reasonably good artwork, if not particularly outstanding.
La Revistería Comics
Adaptación a la historieta de la megapocalíptica campaña del sol oscuro.
Andrew Pixton
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comic-books
Really good graphic novel on the forgotten realms desert areas, post-apocalypse. The characters good, world very interesting, plot good, ending way too abrupt.
Ian James
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
not too bad but no too good either
Ethan
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Coming off Fell's Five this is much darker and mature, but it also lacks the same characterization, and compounding issues is that it isn't even that great a look at the Dark Sun world (it makes it look more Egyptian inspired). Not worth your time.
Keith Veeder
Feb 12, 2017
Mai
Dec 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Alexander C. Irvine is an American fantasist and science fiction writer. Many of his works have appeared under the simple moniker "Alex Irvine." He first gained attention with his novel A Scattering of Jades and the stories that would form the collection Unintended Consequences. He has also published the Grail quest novel One King, One Soldier, and the World War II-era historical fantasy The Narro ...more
More about Alex Irvine...