Start by marking “The Book of Joby” as Want to Read:
The Book of Joby

The Book of Joby

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
The Book of Joby is an epic fantasy complete in one volume.

Lucifer and the Creator have entered, yet again, into a wager they've made many times before, but this time, the existence of creation itself is balanced on the outcome. Born in California during the twilight years of a weary millennium, nine year old Joby Peterson dreams of blazing like a bonfire against the gathe
Published August 21st 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Joby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Joby

Katiebe
Nov 25, 2007 Katiebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an entertaining read! The basic premise of the book is that God and the Devil make a wager ("the same stupid bet") at which a little boy named Joby is the center. This time, however, the stakes are higher. Ferrarri tells Joby's story from about age 9 until 40. It is a long book. Yet, while not a particularly difficult read, it is one of my favorites. The reason I gave it four stars and not five is that the ending was a little uneven for me; there was such a dramatic and emotional trajectory ...more
Alice
Dec 20, 2007 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction fiends
Shelves: fantasy, i-own-it
An illustrator turned writer's first novel and a very good one. God and Lucifer make a wager over a young boy's life (Joby). Laced heavily with Christian and Arthurian themes, this is an intelligent novel. Not that you need to be intelligent to read it (the book is extremely accessable), but the ideas are mature and more developed than I'd expected. Not your typical cheesy fantasy novel at all. Its not a Christian novel, but if you've been trying the Jesus lifestyle, you'll wonder when you read ...more
Ana Rînceanu
Beyond the premise, I thought this book would not hit people over the head with much more religious imagery. But it does and it's done so poorly.

God and Lucifer make another pact over Joby's ability to fulfill his duty as a part-time child in the real world and a knight in Camelot. The format was weird. The book is basically: the devil sets a trap, Joby avoids it - rinse, repeat.

I didn't like this book and it was not memorable.
Arica
Nov 15, 2012 Arica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book! This story brought Job from the Bible to life for me! I was able to relate and connect and found the story relatively accurate to the story in the Bible.

I recomend this to new Christians who are trying to read the Bible but just haven't been able to stick to it. This story will help you connect and relate and create a fire inside of you to read the Bible to see if this story is true.
Trudi
I've had my sights set on this one for quite some time. The premise seemed like something I would absolutely adore. It just took me way too long to get past the half-way mark. Once Joby grows up, I found the whole thing just kinda stalled altogether. I kept getting restless, putting the book down to read something else. After awhile I realized the desire to finish just wasn't there. So I officially cry uncle. I'm out. I didn't hate this book (so no one star), and I'm feeling too ambivalent to gi ...more
j.marvin
Feb 03, 2009 j.marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this.
I cried.
The writing was terrible.
Imagination useless.

again,
I cried.
was reminded of something...
O! how poorly written,
O! how poorly realized.

Every time I hear M. Ward's Post-War,
I think of Joby.

what am I to do,
the moon was full.
I think.
Albert Riehle
Apr 13, 2010 Albert Riehle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!
Shelves: favorites
I love this book. I love, love, love this book. Why haven't you read this book yet??? Stop whatever you are doing and read this book right now! I'm not going to lie, I'm really upset that you're still reading this review and not reading the book like I told you that you should. This is one of my all-time, most-favorite books of all time. Okay, so that was a bit redundant, but I feel like I can't recommend this book enough.

I suppose, it should come with a few warnings though. The first warning i
Lynette Aspey
Feb 10, 2013 Lynette Aspey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now ... this was a surprise. At first, when I picked "The Book of Joby" up and started to read I made the assumption that it was .. religious. It was to my great delight that I discovered, after putting it down and picking it up again, that it's no more religious than it is magical. I saw the light, and was pleased.

Mark J. Ferrari's debut novel rocks. This beautifully written, character-driven novel weaves a story about one young boy, who grows into a confused and dismayed man, at the nexus of a
Anthony St. Claire
As a literature major in college, I am intensely passionate about reading. As a liberal agnostic, I don't generally find preachy books to be good. Thankfully, the Book of Joby was NOT preachy.

This was one of the best novels I have ever read...and I have read many, many novels. I found myself weeping overly at parts, and at other parts, laughing uncontrollably. It was an intensely emotion- and thought-provoking novel.

God and Lucifer make a wager they've made before, and now, all of existence is
After spending so much time with it and feeling so invested in the main character's tribulations, I really hate to give this book less than 4 stars. But in the end, I found its flaws outweighed its flashes of occasional brilliance and inventiveness. Overlong, and in dire need of a strong editor to help this talented first-time author tighten the plotlines and rid the dialog of some of its stiltedness. I sometimes had to wonder what decade the characters were supposed to be living in - even the o ...more
ScottK
Dec 13, 2008 ScottK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Arthurian lore....always have, it started in High school when I read all of theseThe Crystal Cave and then went onto theseTaliesin. And then I had a really cool english teacher in whose classroom we would just watch movies and then have tests, there I fell in love with Camelot.When you combine Arthur, Gwen AND Lancelot in a book, along with God Lucifer "the wager" of Job, demons and Angels.....well ya never know just what you might get.

When God and Lucifer bet it all ( yet again ) on the
Michael Barron
Mar 13, 2011 Michael Barron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From: BarronWilderness

God and Lucifer once again enter into a bet in which the devil tries to sway a pure soul to join him. Their “contender” is Joby Peterson, a boy who must grow up with all the forces of hell bent on corrupting him.

* The Book of Joby is a sweeping first novel, that covers everything from The Bible to Arthurian legends to flaws in the public school system.
* The cast of characters includes demons, angels, wizards and school children. While some of the protagonists can be a li
John
Jul 13, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: Amber Cook
King Arthur meets the Book of Job - in a nine year old boy. By the author formerly known as the artist Mark Ferrari. (In case you don't know, the premise of the Book of Job is that Satan challenges God that the apparently pious Job, if stripped of his prosperity and his children, would turn against God.)

It's a very well-written book. The Arthurian connection is fun, the characters are believable and engaging, and I enjoyed both the Creator character and the bickering, backstabbing, and ineptness
Amanda
Aug 28, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, despite it being a little long, is a really great read. There's a hefty dose of Arthurian legend and Biblical principles, as well as modern controversial beliefs. What's great about this book is how it all boils down to what I believe is the basic tenet of life:being good.

The book spans the life of Joby Peterson, the unknowing participant in a bet between God and Lucifer. As a child, Joby idolizes Arthur and the Roundtable and aspires to be just like him. As he grows, Lucifer's influe
Katie
Dec 12, 2010 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't the epic fantasy that I was expecting, as the jacket copy stated. The age-old wager between God and Lucifer begins again, this time with a young boy named Joby. The book is a detailed chronicle of Joby's life, and the hardships he faces. That's about it.

I felt like I was being banged on the head over and over again with the idea that all people face hardships - not all brought about by the Devil - but that God is always there for us if we just ask for Him and his heavenly helpers. Af
Susanne
Jun 04, 2009 Susanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good tale, and fans of Good Omens and its like
Shelves: sff
This was sooo much fun. The premise was promising (God and Lucifer making a wager which could lead to the destruction of the entire creation), the execution brilliant: We experience the trials and tribulations of a normal child (later teenager, and grown man) who is the subject of a tug-of-war between Good and Evil.

Joby is one of the most likeable, sympathetic characters I've ever encountered - I found myself rooting for him from the very beginning, and feeling wretchedly sorry for him when thi
Mahdi
Dec 03, 2014 Mahdi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is honestly one of the best pieces of Young Adult fantasy that you can get your hands on. I feel like many YA fantasy novels are either cliche, trite, badly written or just plain un-relateable and this book is none of that. I haven't read this for many many years, now, but it sticks with me to this day and I plan to give it a re-read, eventually.

A lot of the other reviews cover just about everything about this book, but I would just like to add one thing. This is not a "Christian" book. Thi
Sariana
Feb 10, 2012 Sariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. What a ride. This is a book just bursting with every element of what an epic fantasy should be.

First of all, this was a long book, but that didn't daunt me. If you feel intimidated by its length, just imagine it as a trilogy all bound together in one book.

There were so many layers to this book that I've no doubt I'll need to reread it. Yes, it mirrors the book of Job, but not in a "conservative fundamental" way, which hooked me right from the prologue. The author also draws heavily on the l
Margaret Gilmore
Nov 27, 2008 Margaret Gilmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good tale
Recommended to Margaret by: Heather Petzoldt (my daughter)
I totally enjoyed this book. It was quite entertaining, not the typical book I would pick up to read, but sure glad I did! The story begins with the age old wager between God and Lucifer. The object of their wager is a young boy named Joby. It has angels, demons, magic, love, mild violence and fantasy. I would rate it 4.5 stars if I could. This is one I will read again just to be sure I did not miss anything the first time.
Hesper
Dec 01, 2010 Hesper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Ever.
Forget the hundred monkey and their typewriters. A senile ferret on crack could, whilst having apoplectic fits on a keyboard, come up with more compelling material than this.

But that would be cruelty to animals; PETA would be after you if you did that. Too bad there's no such thing as cruelty to readers because this book is rank abuse. Someone seriously needs to douse Mr. Ferrari with printer ink.
birdsong61
Jan 07, 2015 birdsong61 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-ever
What an incredible and epic first novel Mark Ferrari has written. An imaginative modern retelling of the story of Job from the Bible sprinkled with some of the magic that was Camelot. The starting point of this fantasy is a wager between God and Lucifer with the world as we know it at stake. A must read!
Kim
Jul 14, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this is quite a long book, but if you love epic fantasy The Book of Joby is worth every minute! Joby is caught up in the middle of the struggle between good and evil and you will absolutely fall in love with him. Just make sure you have a box of tissues handy when you read it.
Amy Ariel
Jul 17, 2015 Amy Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
Absolutely delightful in the end.
Throughout the majority I couldn't decide whether this is the world I often feel like I live in or the one I wish I did. In the end, I still don't know. I am very glad I read it, though.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
J. Else
Apr 22, 2013 J. Else rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall impression when I finished: Pleasantly surprised but not overly wowed.

I briefly read an interview with the author. To quote from it, Mr. Ferrari said, “…the book is not, in fact, about Christianity to begin with, only set in it.” That surprised me!
He sums up his themes as thus: (1) “The assumption most of us in America are taught from the cradle on that there is some reliable cause and effect relationship between what we do and what we get... As we grow up, however, this reassuring ass
Wyktor Paul
May 08, 2017 Wyktor Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended
Dee Dong
Jun 11, 2017 Dee Dong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A growing journey and a delight guide and positive indications!
Mike Russo
Jul 03, 2017 Mike Russo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New favorite

Excellent book . I was pulled in immediately and never let go right up until the end .
Definitely one of my new favorite books .
Julia
Jul 09, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age 13+, fans of fantasy, especially Arthurian or Christian Mythology
Forgive the length of this review, but when I picked up this book, it looked like it could be interesting. I never expected to find a true gem.

It's inspired by the Biblical story of Job, who was the subject of a wager between God & Satan. Satan bet that if Job lost all his blessings he'd turn away from God. Naturally Satan lost the bet. That's the gist of that story.

OK, so Joby is a 9 year old kid who's the subject of a similar wager. He has to renounce God through an act of evil by the age
Nat
Nov 13, 2013 Nat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This is the debut novel for Mark.J.Ferrari; published back in 2007. It was recommended and loaned to me by one of my young people I work with in my youth work job.
It follows a wager made by Lucifer and the Creator, something they have done many times before. The preface of this particular wager was the existence of creation itself depended on the outcome. Unaware of the weighty decision that will be upon of him in the years to come, we meet Joby Peterson; nine years old and full of life infecti
  • God's Demon
  • The Fade
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Thunderer (Thunderer, #1)
  • Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, #1-2)
  • Grease Monkey
  • Shadowbridge (Shadowbridge, #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • The Marines of Autumn
  • Walking The Tree
  • The Devil's Day (After Such Knowledge, #2-3)
  • Sharps
  • Brimstone Kiss (Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Blackdog
  • The Sound of Building Coffins
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)