Start by marking “The Corfu Trilogy (The Corfu Trilogy #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Corfu Trilogy (The Corfu Trilogy #1-3)

The Corfu Trilogy

(Corfu Trilogy #1-3)

The Corfu Trilogy consists of the popular classic My Family and Other Animals and its delightful sequels, Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. All three books are set on the enchanted island of Corfu in the 1930s, and tell the story of the eccentric English family who moved there. For Gerald, the budding zoologist, Corfu was a natural paradise, teeming w ...more
Published 2006 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Corfu Trilogy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gill I loved this book; a beautifully written account of the author and his family's time on Corfu, before the start of WWII, where they escaped, it seems,…moreI loved this book; a beautifully written account of the author and his family's time on Corfu, before the start of WWII, where they escaped, it seems, almost on a whim, from a cold, wet and dispiriting England (it was winter time, of course). The description of the island and its inhabitants (human or otherwise) is delightful and I can't remember having so many laugh out loud moments reading about his relationship with his family, all their antics and their humorous responses to life on the island. Can't recommend it enough!(less)
Thelma No. There aren't descriptions of such things like getting sick, or hurt, or dying. But there is some of lizards eating other things and birds eating l…moreNo. There aren't descriptions of such things like getting sick, or hurt, or dying. But there is some of lizards eating other things and birds eating lizards, etc. Nothing graphic or icky or sad.(less)

Start your review of The Corfu Trilogy (The Corfu Trilogy #1-3)
Bionic Jean
Many readers will be familiar with Durrell's "My Family and Other Animals", the autobiography he wrote in 1956 about his idyllic childhood in Corfu. The Corfu Trilogy includes two more books on the same theme "Birds, Beasts and Relatives" (1969) and "The Garden of the Gods" (1978). Presumably there must have been demand for more of the same since these publication dates are so wide apart, and Durrell had published numerous books in the interim, dealing with his animal exploits, all told in a ver ...more
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bettie, Wanda
This lovely book just arrived from Bonn. Thank you so much dear TA!!

This trilogy is composed of the following books: My Family and Other Animals, Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods.

In this autobiography, the author describes the life of his family in the Greek island of Corfu , an island surrounded by several battles and conquests, including World War I and II.

The author, being a naturalist, describes how his family’s daily life intertwined with the local landscape and cultur
Jaanaki
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gerald Durell is a world famous naturalist who spent his childhood in the beautiful Greek island of Corfu with his family that consisted of his Mom,his brothers Lawrence (a writer himself) and Leslie , sister Margaret and not to mention also the menagerie of animals they kept as pets😃.This trilogy consists of his famous ,"My Family and other Animals", and it's sequels ,"Birds,Beasts and Relatives " and "The Garden of the Gods ".
Gerald Durell's writing shows us that this man loves nature and all
trishtrash
I have read and reread (several times) Gerald Durrell’s enchanting memoir My Family and Other Animals, and most of his other animal-collecting / Jersey Zoo tales but never until now the other two stories in the ‘Corfu Trilogy’, feeling, perhaps, that the first book could not really be outdone, and there was such a thing as too much of a good thing. The most immediate thing to happen, however, when I did finally pick up the amalgamated trilogy, was that it refreshed my appreciation for the first ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
My Family and Other Animals is still my overall favorite installment of this trilogy of memoirs from Gerald Durrell, but The Garden of the Gods, the third and final installment, still has its moments. It was so much fun being back with the Durrell family on Corfu and seeing everything they got up to - from Gerry, Larry, Leslie, Margo, to their Mother, and everyone really that comes into contact with them - and it's still just as hilarious. While Durrell is great at writing about nature, he's fan ...more
Rushati Mukherjee
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I DIDN'T WANT THIS BOOK TO END.
I didn't even intend to read this book for pure enjoyment, but about two pages in I completely forgot about analysing it or looking at it as a student. I was laughing at and with the Durrell family in Corfu. It was bliss, a purer escape than any I have got near to recently. Funnily enough, I did notice some of Durrell's techniques: his way of keeping the narrator, aka himself, in the background, as an observer rather than a participant, was beautifully executed, e
Imi
I picked up this trilogy while drowning in some fairly hefty reading and trying to finish my degree. My mum recommended it to me as a bit of light relief, and for that it was simply perfect. Light, charming and cheerful, Gerry's memoirs of his childhood chronicle the life of his eccentric family on the Greek island of Corfu. There's nothing deep here; the reasons for their eventual departure (war) are left unspoken, but then I don't think that's what you'd be after if you wanted to read this.

The
Liz
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite! The first one is the best. He's very reminiscent of James Herriot for me, animals+humor+a certain kind of warmth that is very comforting. Books for when you are sick or sad or just need to feel good. Will definitely be buying a copy and re-reading through the years!
Elwycke
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read 'My Family & Other Animals' at school, which led me to read other books by Mr.Durrell.
I remembered them with great affection and was thinking how much I'd like to read them again and one morning I got on the train to go to work and there sitting on an empty seat was this book 'The Corfu Trilogy'. Serendipitous!
So I got to go back to Corfu with Gerald and his maddeningly lovable family 30 years after i first went there.
It is pure escapism of the very best kind.
Kathlyn
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
There are very few books I would read a second time let alone a third but this is one of those. My favourite book of all time.
Tracey the Bookworm
Read during my high school years and really loved it. Made me want to travel.
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Katherine Kendig
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The pros: Lovely descriptions of the island, the weather, and the wildlife that even I (very non-visual when I read) could see clearly in my mind's eye; charming and absurd family stories that often made me laugh out loud; deft character sketches; and a wealth of interesting information about animals, particularly birds, reptiles and insects. The cons: a wealth of not-so interesting information, at least for the reader who doesn't love spiders and beetles quite so much; a sense that Gerry's love ...more
Kathryn
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read! Seemingly impossible situations proved hilarious and all the real life characters were absolutely priceless. There wasn't a boring page in this trilogy.
K.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable. Enjoyed from beginning to end. The mini-series is also wonderful, visually and for entertainment value, but the books are even better. They really changed around some of the circumstances in the show, I guess to bring some pathos and melodrama, but it didn't need it. Just following the book would have been even better.

Can't believe I'd never heard of this guy. His humor is so perfect. Many laugh out loud moments. He also writes rather nicely...really. He uses a ton of metap
Linda Sharp
Loved the series, not the book. Just could not get into it and became bored.
BookCrazy
I seem to be in a minority of readers who didn't rate this book very highly. I found myself ambivalent about the story as I was reading. I wanted to like it better than I did.

Overall the book is very well written it terms of composition and structure. The descriptions of Corfu and daily life made everything come to life - you could see, hear, and taste what was going on. The vignettes about the family were funny and human. One could see any of us in that situation either tearing our hair out and
Derek Hummerston
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny. The first book is the strongest, but the others are also very good: some great set pieces and the characterisation is excellent. It's full of similes, personification and other devices that serious literary types might sniff at, but I say just jump in and enjoy the ride.
Rosie
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fantastic book. So funny, thoughtful and delicate in its treatment of family life in Corfu. Seeing the world through the eyes of a young Gerald just makes you love animals in the uniquely caring and scientific way that he does. A great read.
Mandy Setterfield
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic holiday reading, just right for a hot Mediterranean summer. Gerald's family are actually more interesting than the animals! Plenty of humour and interest - lovely.
Bethnoir
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It was beautifully written, portrayed the people with fondness and amusement and made me laugh helplessly on more than on occasion. Highly recommended.
Eva Dillner
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
The TV series made me yearn for more. This book is an absolute delight from start to finish.
Lyn Zuberbuhler
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book encompasses 3 books written by Gerald Durrell, all based on the time the family lived in Corfu, Greece.
The first book: "My Family and Other Animals", I found to be the most entertaining and readable. Gerald is a keen observer of all life, and provides hilarious vignettes of life with his family, their various and sundry friends and acquaintances, and their characteristics, endearing or otherwise.
The other two books: "Birds, Beasts, and Relatives", and "The Garden of the Gods" portray
Camille
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the basis of the PBS series The Durrells in Corfu. It's obvious that the writers of that fictionalized version were able to lift the family's conversations directly from the book. They've also expanded on the stories and created new ones.
As Gerald Dual
This is also a natural history book. It's best to remember, from the start, that Gerald Durrell was first and foremost a born natural history scientist and grew up to be a respected international conservationist. He wrote his books as a me
Roderick Baxter
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing.
What a story. The Corfu Trilogy, has to one of the best books that I have read. It is educational, entertaining and delightfully funny. Gerald Durrell's description of events and places is just beautifully spellbinding. It is almost as if you are there. He invites you into his home and his world and introduces you to his family and friends and of course, his passion for natural history. It did not take me long to fall in love with the eccentric and some time exotic inhabitants of the
Martin Hoogeboom
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice read. I like the first part 'My family and other animals' because it is written enthusiastically and passionately. Later parts are probably better (literary) written but in terms of content a repetition. I really enjoyed Gerald's nature observations. The family affairs in a paradise setting (Corfu in the thirties) are certainly very funny. Enjoyed it.
Louise
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. I have watched the TV show and loved it and the book is so much better. The descriptions of Corfu weather, people, country side, beaches and the sea, It is beautifully written and I would so like to visit Corfu now.
Sophie
Feb 11, 2019 added it
Great book! lots of cool family relationships.
Vassiliki
4 stars for the hilarious and well written" My family and other animals" and 3 for the other two which I believe are a repetition of the first book.
Allison
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was easier to purchase the full trilogy than to find the second and third books separately. I enjoyed The Corfu Trilogy, especially during this time of self isolation. I loved hearing about the gorgeous natural landscapes in Greece and the various wildlife. Gerald Durrell's mother is beyond delightful! How I wish I could be more like her.
What You Need to Know When You Visit Paxos ? 1 1 Jul 19, 2019 04:23AM

• Whatever Happened to Margo?
  • The Durrells of Corfu
  • Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted
  • Masters of Mystery: The Strange Friendship of Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini
  • Vet in Harness
  • Every Day Is Mother's Day
  • Gerry & I
  • Nothing to Report
  • Mildred Budge in Cloverdale (The Adventures of Mildred Budge Book 1)
  • The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson, #17)
  • Why Our Children Will Be Atheists
  • Mrs Fry's Diary
  • There Is No Dog
  • Bring Me the Head of Ivy Pocket (Ivy Pocket, #3)
  • Marry in Haste
  • Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power and Potential of Our Lives
  • New Novel
Gerald "Gerry" Malcolm Durrell was born in India in 1925. His elder siblings are Lawrence Durrell, Leslie Durrell, and Margaret Durrell. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In ...more

Corfu Trilogy (3 books)
  • My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1)
  • Birds, Beasts and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy #2)
  • The Garden of the Gods (Corfu Trilogy #3)