Start by marking “The Last Enchantment (Merlin, #3) (Arthurian Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Enchantment (Merlin, #3) (Arthurian Saga, #3)

The Last Enchantment (Merlin, #3) (Arthurian Saga #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  12,552 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
The Last Enchantment
Published October 1st 1983 by Coronet (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Enchantment (Merlin, #3), please sign up.

Zara West Definitely start with the first book in the series The Crystal Cave and read all three. This is the saga of Merlin and Stewart's depiction of his…moreDefinitely start with the first book in the series The Crystal Cave and read all three. This is the saga of Merlin and Stewart's depiction of his boyhood is essential to understanding him as a man.(less)

Candi
"Here, away from lights and sounds of town or village, the night was deep, the black sky stretching, fathomless, away between the spheres, to some unimaginable world where gods walked, and suns and moons showered down like petals falling. Some power there is that draws men's eyes and hearts up and outwards, beyond the heavy clay that fastens them to earth. Music can take them, and the moon's light, and, I suppose, love, though I had not known it then, except in worship."

There has been nothing mo
Sara
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The Last Enchantment is Mary Stewart’s third installment in her Arthurian novels, and the last of the trilogy that centers around the character of Merlin. In her inimitable way, Stewart gives us the final days of Merlin and brings us full circle to the beginning of The Crystal Cave, in which we are introduced to an old man setting out to tell his tale of wonder in service to his god.

Arthur, now King of all Britain, must deal with all the obstacles to his reign that have become so much a part of
Marci
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've been reading this King Arthur series over and over since I was a teenager. I love it so much, I have a hard time reading any other version of the King Arthur tale. The series is written from the viewpoint of Merlin.
Obsidian
I tried very hard to get into this book. It was so hard. I think that it ended up ending in a weird place and after going forward and reading “The Wicked Day” I really wish that Stewart had ended this book better to just stay away from continuing the Arthurian saga.

There is really not much to say that I haven’t said in the other books. I like Merlin as a narrator, but everyone else is given very little development. The book starts to feel repetitive after a while. The only new thing in this one
Nikki
The Last Enchantment really suffers the most from the fact that it’s written from the point of view of a supporting character. Merlin’s an epic, iconic figure, but he’s not Arthur — and this version emphasises this even more, with Arthur’s seemingly endless heroism, patience, temperance and sensitivity. I love the Arthurian story too, but it feels like Stewart shielded almost all the characters from harm — even, in this case, some of the female characters, despite the misogynistic to ambiguous t ...more
Cara
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arthurian
I have to disagree with Landon's review of this novel, as I think it misses the point. This is not a series that's particularly interested in the great doings of Arthur and his knights. It is interested in depicting the way people relate to each other within a framework set by prophecy.

The first three stories in this series are told from Merlin's perspective. Although Merlin cares about the outcome of the battles, his powers let him know that they will turn out alright. He's also not worried ab
John Porter
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And now a happy story.

I read the original Merlin trilogy pretty much when it came out...I was 10 when I read The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hills, and had to wait until I was 16 before Mary Stewart put out this book, the final book of the (then) trilogy. And what I remember was being disappointed in The Last Enchantment. It seemed like an afterthought, and a muddled one at that.

So, okay, fast forward--I couldn't sleep a couple of nights ago, and I wolfed down The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hil
Benjamin Thomas
This third book of Mary Stewart's "Merlin Trilogy", The Last Enchantment has proven to be my favorite of the set. I tend to judge the books I read by the style of book it is and how well it meets my expectations for the genre. For example, a really good adventure/thriller novel makes me want to keep reading faster and faster to get to the, hopefully, satisfying conclusion. A good mystery may make me read a bit slower to make sure I'm not missing some vital clue along the way. The Last Enchantmen ...more
Joyce
So much for this binge; now I'll have to settle down and catch up on required reading. But it's been lovely. This, like vols. 1 and 2, is a very satisfying retelling of the story of Arthur from Merlin's point of view. Such a nice rereading to start the year! Even if you've read the series, do listen to the audio. Story and narrator combine for a fabulous experience.
Wayne Barrett

This is part III of the series and a re-read for me.

Arthur has revealed himself and begun to establish himself as King and his half-sister Morgause and established herself as the witch she truly is.

Still a great story and I am off to part IIII.
Jim
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this is the correct edition. Mine isn't abridged, but I didn't see the correct one. I think the reader is correct & very good. An excellent end to the trilogy. I know Stewart added another book years later & while I have read it once, I don't really want to listen to it. This is plenty.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Not bad. Stewart makes her characters likeable even the baddies. Merlin is telling the story and so he lets you see every side of the story. I think these books were written in the 70's, however they don't seem dated and I really enjoyed my time with them.
Terence
Nov 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Arthurian fiction
The Last Enchantment covers the first decade or so of Arthur’s reign. While I found myself enjoying it more than The Hollow Hills, it suffered from the same flaws I found in that book – namely, the second-hand nature of much of the narrative. Nearly everything is related to Merlin by a third party with the exception of Melwas’ abduction of Guinevere and Merlin’s tutelage of Nimuë, whom he believes is a boy in the beginning. Yet even in the latter episode, Merlin spends much of the time in a drea ...more
Landon
The third installment of the Arthurian Saga tracks the beginning of Arthur’s reign as king and the ending years of Merlin. The pace is quite different than the first two, and the story is sort of away from most of the action going on in Britain. This is due to the fact that Merlin is our main character, and it is told from his perspective, and Arthur is the one going off and making things happen, and while Arthur tells Merlin what is going on when he comes back, we are no longer there first hand ...more
Lori
Clare
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Paterson
This review is for the entire Merlin Trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment):

I’ve been fascinated by Arthurian Legend for a long time and have read a number of versions of the story. This trilogy is one of the most popular versions and I enjoyed it, but with some reservations. I liked getting the story from Merlin’s point of view. One of the most exciting things about these books is the way that magic and the mundane coexist. Merlin does possess real magic, but he’
Crystal
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this trilogy. I knew a lot about the Arthur myths before reading, and I liked that she tried to get as close to the truth of the myth as possible, even by excluding some characters that we know had been invented later for the sake of adapting the Arthur myth to that current audiences' taste. I loved Merlin's character, and that he was not all powerful, or all knowing, but vulnerable and human. I loved the ending she gave to Merlin, I'm so happy she didn't give him a shameful end, by being ...more
Nancy
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say, I do like series books where the next book picks up a heartbeat after the last book ended. As The Lsat Enchantment opens, Arthur has just been crowned, and Merlin is deputed to deal with Morgause's incestuous pregnancy with Mordred, Arthur's bastard son/nephew, who will ultimately bring about Arthur's death.

The Last Enchantment is perhaps slightly less interesting than the previous two books; all the big events have already happened, and Stewart has less legend to draw on. But there
Karen
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a harder time getting through this book than I did the earlier two books on Merlin. Stewart switches gears in this book, and makes it just on Mordred, the bastard son of ARthur and Morgana who was to become Arthur's bane. The book is very good, and the plot is much better than any I've read on Mordred...he isn't a bad man, he doesn't 'plan' Arthur's demise or to betray his father...it's just that fate and mistakes of man have made it so the two men are destined to destroy one another.

In s
Данило Судин
Чудова книжка, з чудовий фіналом трилогії. Потім Мері Стюарт напише ще два томи (один з них буде таки завершенням - про Мордреда), але на момент завершення "Останніх чарів" вона про це ще не знала. Відтак, роман завершується саме так, як мав би завершитися - спокійно, тепло, світло.
На жаль, близько середини тексту твір стає нуднуватим. Я розумію, що авторка намагається включити в текст і пояснити основні елементи легенд про Мерліна, але це тексту не допомагає. От подорож до Дунпельдіра, і потім
Rachel Marie
In the third book of Mary Stuart's Arthurian Saga we go into more detail of King Arthur's struggle with making Britain whole and safe, keeping his enemies at bay, and dealing with the enemies within his own family.

Stuart makes the Legend of King Arthur come alive again in her telling of the tale through Merlins eyes. The third book of the Arthurian Saga is enjoyable to read, splendidly written, and an inescapable pleasure. The most climatic book of the saga yet. I found this book so wonderfully
Nancy Ellis
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter how many different interpretations of the Arthur legend I read, I always come back to Mary Stewart's series. It is the most beautifully written and interpreted story of the King and his time, told from the viewpoint of Merlin. I could not possibly equal or better the numerous reviews of this book and the whole series, so I won't even try. It's safe to believe all the wonderful things you read about it, and if you're the least bit intrigued by the legend, you would be cheating yourself ...more
Melissa
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I liked this one less than the other two in the series, possibly because there's so much time passing, and possibly because Merlin's fading. Either way, it just wasn't as enjoyable as the first two books. I also realized that, if you wanted to, you could read this one as a stand-alone. There's an awful lot of exposition -- which if you've read all three books, is tiresome -- that makes the other two (mostly) unnecessary. That said, I think Stewart's books are an important part of Arthurian lore.
Denise Deen
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beachbooks-2016
I love this series so much and feel better for having read it. The writing is fantastic. The books so far have been written from Merlin's experiences and knowledge. I wept for him many times as he was just a man born to a hard but golden time. I am curious as to how the fourth book will be written as alas Merlin the Enchanter is no more.
Mark
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot more to add from what I said before about the previous two book. A superbly written and well conceived tale of Arthur. Really liked the twist in the story with Guinevere and two scheming and treacherous sisters spelling double trouble for Arthur. Looking forward to the fourth book now.
Monica
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was always my favorite book in the series. I love arthurian legend, and reading about the legend from the perspective of Merlin always fascinated me. The plot really picks up the pace in this book, and it is a wonderful classic.
Ice Bear
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A gentle ride with Merlin to 'not quite ' the end of a legend
MoniqueDC
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
The first two books of the trilogy were engaging if a little heavy, but this one. Mercy. 4 weeks later I was only a third of the way through the book. I gave it up.
Rebecca
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I put off reading this one for so long, because it is the last of the trilogy, and I thought I knew how it would end. But my fears were unfounded, and I want to read the trilogy again.
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • The Pendragon
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • Sword at Sunset
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur
  • The Eagles' Brood (Camulod Chronicles, #3)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #3)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of Merlyn (The Once and Future King, #5)

Lady Mary Stewart, born Mary Florence Elinor Rainbow, was a popular English novelist, and taught at the school of John Norquay elementary for 30 to 35 years.

She was one of the most widely read fiction writers of our time. The author of twenty novels, a volume of poetry, an
More about Mary Stewart...

Arthurian Saga (5 books)
  • The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga, #1)
  • The Hollow Hills (Arthurian Saga, #2)
  • The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
“The essence of wisdom is to know when to be doing, and when it's useless even to try” 25 likes
“A new moon lay on its back, and stars were out. Here, away from lights and sounds of town or village, the night was deep, the black sky stretching, fathomless, away among the spheres to some unimaginable world where gods walked, and suns and moons showered down like petals falling. Some power there is that draws men's eyes and hearts up and outward, beyond the heavy clay that fastens them to earth. Music can take them, and the moon's light, and, I suppose, love, though I had not known it then, except in worship.” 1 likes