Start by marking “Lessons in the Journey” as Want to Read:
Lessons in the Journey

Lessons in the Journey

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Readers Favorite Bronze Medal Winner - If you like fiction and non-fiction like Tuesday’s with Morrie, The Shack, The Notebook, Eat Pray Love, or Message in a Bottle, and if you like a novel that leads to a little soul searching or deep, book club-style discussions, then you will like Lessons in the Journey. Elizabeth Finch is a forty-two-year-old mother, wife, loyal frien ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in the Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in the Journey

Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

For pediatric surgeon Elizabeth Finch, life is not always perfect, and throw’s its punches hard, some because of choices she makes, and some just happened. We start following Liz’s story in the beginning when she finds out her daughter has been shot. And we continue as she seeks to find help in the journey she is facing as her life keeps unraveling before her eyes.

Patrick Dawson captures the hearts of his readers in his book “Lessons in the Journey,” a through provoking, moving and heartwarming
Ellen Gable
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Lessons in the Journey” by first-time novelist Patrick Dawson is the hopeful and moving story of Elizabeth “Liz” Finch, a pediatric surgeon. At the beginning of the novel, she learns that her 14-year-old daughter has been shot and is not expected to live. The book is told mostly in flashbacks of Liz’s life, lessons she’s learned in her life’s journey.

It is through these flashbacks that we become acquainted, not only with Liz, but with the other major characters in the story. We discover how Liz
Keith Zelazny
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone struggling with faith or moral issues. Teens
As a person who has struggled with their faith quite a bit, this book really spoke to me. Especially the theme that our lives and faith are journeys and that they are not supposed to be the ends - that the journey IS the end - we are not living a race, but rather need to take the joys (and sorrows) as they come.

I think the book did a great job describing the values questions that many people face, in particular teens and young adults. So often in today's world, they rush forward with sex and al
Courtenay
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think most everyone will be able to relate to the story. I'm constantly thinking "why does God allow these horrible things to happen" when I watch the news. While we'll never know for sure why some things are "allowed" to happen and others are intervened through prayer, we do know that God has given us all free will, and we are living in a world where we will always be victims of each other's choices: drunk drivers, abusive parents/spouses, murderers, thieves, etc. Lucky for us we have a God w ...more
Bobbi
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
It was another book about a shooting at a school, which I wasn't expecting. The author who is a man told the story from a woman's viewpoint of her life. I felt that it was quite odd and off putting that a man was telling how this woman felt about sex, marriage and motherhood - there was just too much about religion it did have a part in the story but it went on and on and on and on. I guess my biggest problem is that there was a section that he repeated word for word and I thought my tablet misf ...more
Rebecca Gasper
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Patrick K. Dawson's book, Lessons in the Journey is a story about what it means to lose a child and struggle with your faith. It is beautifully written, and the topics were very thought provoking and moving. The story drew me in from the beginning and kept me reading. The characters were well developed and engaging, and they "stuck" with me long after I put the book down.

The book had a nice flow. The author did a wonderful job weaving in political and religious issues, along with emotions of lo
Lee Hogan
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Not to sound cliché, but this book was a “riveting family drama”. It was amazing that a guy wrote this book from a female narrator’s perspective. The novel was a deep, personal journey dealing with grief and Liz’s search for life’s meaning, validation of her as a woman/ wife/ mother, and her struggle about God’s existence amidst a senseless tragedy. I believe this book and the emotions it stirs will resonate with men as well as women. My husband read it after I did (at my urging :) ), and he act ...more
Kimberly Mcclune
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was an enjoyable read. The characters became real to me as I read and I found that I had to continue reading to find out how peace and resolution would come to the main character.
I was literally carried into the story, into the very lives of the characters. I cried when they cried, laughed when they laughed and I shared in their memories, both good and bad. Their losses became mine and rejoiced for their triumphs right along with them.
Artfully crafted. I would read more of Patrick's bo
Donna
Oct 29, 2011 added it
This story shows the consequences of choices and how we learn along the way. It is thought provoking
and yet the story line keeps you reading.

Learning to go into the depth of ourselves and from there to have relationships that matter is part of
the picture towards the end of this book. It shows that that is the place where relationships really
matter and that is what the heart is seeking.

Very well done and gives the reader a great time and also much to think about. Am waiting for
Patrick's next nov
Dianne
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"I wish she were a Christian" How many times I have heard those words come from my mother's mouth when faced with the death of an unknown soul--I usually found myself staring at her with no response to give. If you are looking for a book that takes a great stab at trying to answer the age old question of "how can God let this happen", then this book is for you! The main character's realizations made me stop and think and want to apply them to my life.
Cassidyo
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-reread
I really liked this book. It left me with a warm feeling about being loved by God and gave me a new outlook on bad things that have happened in my life. Also, every teen girl and young woman should read this book!!! It could save them some relationship mistakes and bad choices. I love books of hope. Can't believe a guy wrote it. Guess our secret's out:) Wish I could say more but don't want to give the story away. Can't wait for his next one...
Peter Mongeau
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lessons in the Journey by first-time novelist Patrick Dawson is the hopeful and moving story of Elizabeth “Liz” Finch, a pediatric surgeon. At the beginning of the novel, she learns that her 14-year-old daughter has been shot and is not expected to live. The book is told mostly in flashbacks of Liz’s life, lessons she’s learned in her life’s journey.

Read more: http://catholicfiction.net/book-revie...
Kellee Paiz
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this world we live in, it is filled with such extremism. I challenge those that live on either edge of these religious extremes to read this book. It is book that will make you stop and think. It will give you the opportunity to step outside of your box and embrace a life of thinking and living more in the middle of the road. And can help teach you that we are all in this together. It is a moving story that can open the door to a new way thinking and to simply embrace life!
Stacie Lee
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young women and women 15+
Recommended to Stacie by: A girlfriend
I had a friend recommend this book from a new author. It was a very moving drama and really made me think. I am going to recommend it to my book club. I was surprised a man wrote this book. The story-line was gripping, heart-wrenching, and real. It made me hug my daughter a little closer. I look forward to his next book.
Deb
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Refreshing. It is so nice to read a book and not feel overwhelmed or heavy after reading it. This lovely first-time novel is an easy and relaxing read with some twists that will keep you going. Worth reading if you don't want the lame drama with happily ever after that screams of fairy tale, but rather want a taste of what could and does REALLY happen and how it may turn out.
Dorothy Hensel
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written story that is captivating. It is amazing to me that the author being a man, was able to have so much insight to a woman's way of thinking and coping. Thank you Patrick for writing this book
Deb
Oct 24, 2011 added it
This is a wonderful read. It has interesting twists and turns but then is thought provoking and helps one examine their own relationship and understanding of a Greater Power. I would highly recommend this book.
Pat
Jan 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Interesting start and then very boring. Got half way through and couldn't read more.
Liliana
  • The Lion's Heart
  • A High and Hidden Place: A Novel
  • A Cure to Die For
  • Papa Panov's Special Christmas
  • The Christmas Witness (The Morgan Brothers #3)
  • Saturdays Are Gold
  • Confessions of a PTA Mafia Mom
  • Saints Alive! New Stories of Old Saints: Saints of Empire
  • Not Magic Enough (The Coming Storm, #3)
  • Fredy Neptune
A Denver native with ties to the Midwest, Patrick K. Dawson has always had a passion for the arts and creativity. His first novel Lessons in the Journey won a Readers Favorite's Bronze Medal and has continued to garner positive reviews and new readers. He has been ranked as high as 7th on www.goodreads.com New Authors to Read. His second novel Miracles from the Ashes is a completed manuscript targ ...more
More about Patrick K. Dawson