Start by marking “Sigil: Out of Time” as Want to Read:
Sigil: Out of Time

Sigil: Out of Time

(Sigil)

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In the war for forever, time is only an obstacle. Warriors jump from century to century, their battlefields span all of history but have led them to a stalemate. But now a 16 year old girl from present-day South Carolina will turn the tide. The symbol on her chest makes her part of this war, but will she save us or damn all of creation? New York Times best-selling scribe M ...more
Published October 12th 2011 by Marvel (first published March 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sigil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sigil

Krista Ivy
Sam's life isn't the best. Her mom's dead. Her grades are slipping. She has some psycho bullies on her tail for supposedly stealing the leader's boy toy. In the middle of dealing with all of that, she is pulled into the past. Turns out that her birthmark has some powers attached to it and man she can use them. She finds out that her mother was a soldier and her killer is pursuing the pirates that want her help. What's a girl to do?
Daiva
Apparently my taste varies from classics to comics (or graphic novels) still kind of new object to me. But I'm interested to read more now.
Sean
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I was a huge fan of the Crossgen Universe. I love Mike Carey. I have always enjoyed Leonard Kirk. This book should have been a slam dunk. Instead, to keep the same analogy theme, a missed lay-up. Not sure whose idea it was to throw in as many Crossgen easter eggs as possible while literally having nothing to do with the orginal concept, other than a logo. Definitely a bad decision. The dialogue was insanely bad. No matter the time period, script was so cliched and embarrassingly simple. The pira ...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Sigil (Marvel) #1-4 (May 2011-August 2011). Samantha Rey has lost her mother and now is struggling in school. The targets of bullies, Sam finds herself suddenly whisked to a world of pirates. Sam learns that her mother was part of a war and the strange birthmark she inherited from her mother gives her powers. The search is on for a buried treasure, and Sam is facing off on the man who is responsible for her mother’s death. Sam finds herself part of a war she never planned for…and she st ...more
Leslie
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-tpbs
I was happy to learn that Marvel had bought up (or rescued) the CrossGen comics titles. I had only read a few of their titles but I liked them since the stories went beyond superheroes. I had enjoyed Ruse, Scion, Sojourn and Mystic. The first was a Victorian mystery with a hint of magic and the last three were almost medieval in feel where magic was prevalent. I never read Sigil which I believe was CrossGen's science fiction/futuristic title. I think this version is actually a revisioning of Mer ...more
Ria
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a good thing this series opener wasn't super-mega-fantastic, as it appears that no more will follow. Even still, this is a bit of a shame as the premise is great and holds a lot of promise. Despite the classic comic grrrrl covers boasting curves and tough-gal action poses, the artwork inside was charming and Sam was drawn like a regular 16 year old girl, which was refreshing. My only major gripes were that not much time was devoted to Sam getting used to her powers and the bad guy wasn't as ...more
Rosa
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, fantasy
Sam has had a hard time getting her life back together since her mom passed away. She's almost back on track except for these weird dreams; then she starts jumping through time and learning that her mother jumped through time as well. There is a war going on and not everyone is in agreement regarding where the world stands.

Definitely another intro book but I can't wait to see where it's going. Sam is clearly something special even among the time travelers. I also want to find out more about her
Michel
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Samantha Rey is 16, en kan plots blijkbaar door de tijd reizen. Mooi getekend, herkenbare situaties (enfin ja), piraten, wat science fiction, beetje Buffy-achtige dinges hier en daar: iets voor schoolkinderen.

Ik vond het ook wel wijs hoor, maar ik zou niet uit mijn weg gaan om het te kopen.

Tenzij dit meer blijkt te zijn dan een scholierenserie, en ze de hele Sigilverse heropstarten, natuurlijk. Ha!
Becca
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sequential-art
A flawless miniseries that deserved to become an ongoing. Sigil was definitely the best of Marvel's Crossgen reboots, and it's disappointing that Marvel hasn't done anything with ANY of the properties except for the three minis last year. I will forever hold out hope for TPBs of the original series.
Matt
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Eh. Wasn't bad. Interesting story. Art was great. Story was a bit weak though.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Not overly exciting, sort of fast paced. It felt semi rushed at parts and therefore it does not always flow well.

I'm interested to see where this story will go.
Megan Anderson
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: formystudents, 2013
Very interesting premise, but I think I'd prefer at as a novel. It went so fast that I didn't feel like I got to know anyone or their actual motives.
Jacob
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Why is there not more in this series? It's not bad, and I'd certainly be interested in reading more
Monica
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this was charming and throwback-y, sort of in a 90s Buffy wheelhouse. Nice coloring and strong main character. Villain and supporting character were a little cartoony.
Esti
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun, light read, with some wonderfully ludicrous piratespeak. Not much else, considering what I've come to expect from Mike Carey.
Aldi
This was ok. Pretty basic Marvel stuff, which tbh is not really my cuppa. Pretty art, though.
P.
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm always jealous of people who adapt quickly to new situations/superpowers. Were this to happen to me I'd probably be shellshocked, looking for a Mentor and a Training Room.
Katie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This series has a lot of promise. I love the artwork. But the plot felt a bit rushed, and I was sad a potentially interesting character was immediately killed off.
Aubrey
Matthew
Jan 13, 2013
Bryn
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Though the artwork was pleasant enough, I found the story unsatisfying. It's hard to put my finger on just what was off about the whole thing, other than a sense that it was rushed and compressed into too few pages. I got the sense that this could be a fun fantasy series if it were given more time to establish the other players in the story, their motivations, or how the world works, but I found myself flipping through these four issues without really connecting to anything or anyone.

Two and a
MKoffee
Aug 25, 2017
Chris Quinn
Oct 20, 2013
Skye Kilaen
May 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli