Start by marking “Mike Tyson Slept Here” as Want to Read:
Mike Tyson Slept Here

Mike Tyson Slept Here

Every May college graduates across the country ask themselves one very important question--now what? For Brant Gilmour the answer is prison. With little thought to a career, indeed, despite the bitter consequences of institutionalization, Brant takes a job teaching GED classes to inmates at an Indiana correctional facility made famous when Mike Tyson was incarcerated there ...more
Published April 15th 2011 by Boaz Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Mike Tyson Slept Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mike Tyson Slept Here

Start your review of Mike Tyson Slept Here
Dale
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Published in 2011 by Boaz Publishing Company

First - a confession. I know the author of this book. However, the last time I spoke to him was most likely in December of 1989. We had one class together in high school and 3, maybe 4, classes together at the School of Education at Indiana University where we discussed movies, a mutual love of reading and Roy Orbison.

But, I've kept track of Chris as a writer in magazines and newspapers - mostly essays about his new family and his globe-t
Dave Newman
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book, stories that rise up and dance around until they become a novel. Chris Huntington reminds me of all those good-hearted outsider writers like Vonnegut and Richard Brautigan. The plot here is miniscule. The insights are everywhere. Much of the book revolves around a recent college graduate named Brant who's taken a job teaching English in prison to inmates who want to get their GEDs and six months knocked off their sentences. There are funny lines and sad lines and, mo ...more
Danielle
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
i like it. kinda like a grilled cheese sandwich; nothing special, but always hits the spot.

i did LOL at time because the main character is well..a character. i recommend it for a good, quick, read. still not sure what the lawyer's story was about....it's purpose, so if you know, feel free to share (add a spoiler though!)
Kevin Summers
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Huntington is from Columbus, IN, and he taught at the Plainfield prison for ten years.

Sample quote: "Prison is not like the movies, where every inmate lives on the weight pile and their muscles are tied to more muscles until prison uniforms look like overinflated balloons. Plainfield, at least, was not like that. Many of the offenders were loud-talking, underfed, would be gunslingers who didn't have any muscle beyond what was necessary to wave a pistol around a room."
Barbara Ashford
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The power of this novel comes from the voices of its many narrators. Brant Gilmour's experiences as a GED teacher (working at the Indiana correctional facility in which Mike Tyson was incarcerated) is enhanced by the first- and third-person narratives of inmates, prison staff, and two characters outside the system: Billy, a former inmate who tends bar, and K.P., the young woman whose glass eye seems to blind her to her own beauty and strength. These read like stand-alone short stories and many a ...more
H R Koelling
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really nice and endearing novel. I'm at a loss for words because it's such a simple and wonderful little book that delves into the social dynamics of work, and relationship paradigms.

My only critique concerns the lengthy fourth chapter, which introduces us to a few characters, only to have them virtually disappear from the book until almost the end. Mr. Huntington spent a great deal of effort creating and defining these wonderful characters, yet they end up having almost no further presence i
Alan
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the snappy dialogue and interwoven plot of this novel. For one things, most fiction or films about prison seem to be form the inmates perspective; the guards, staff etc either are one dimensional or invisible. And I like that we do not get the Tyson references til near the end, and just like all of the characters, it seems to not be quite what you expected at first.

I got to meet Chris on a visit to his class in March 2013, and was intrigued to read this novel tha
Van Tilburg
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good. Well done. I felt like I was in prison with the author. I liked the other characters and how they interconnected. The author may have watched, "Pulp Fiction", one too many times, but he made the device work for him.
Tricia Friedman
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this---the implicit and explicit violence, the hidden and witnessed acts of kindness rope around you as you come to see yourself in the protagonist. A compelling tale of expectations serving their sentence.
Deb
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I very quick, light read about a recent college grad who teaches GED classes at a prison. Not very deep, but interesting characters.
Lo
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great! The ending was really spectacular and tied everything together really well!
Todd baron
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Charming in a first novel way. I like reading things that don't try to bear down on me snd this was it for January.
Jessie
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun, quirky book that reads a bit like a short story collection.
Jen
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
one of the only truly realistic teaching stories ever written. Quick but satisfying read. I wish I'd read it 10 years ago.
Anittah