Start by marking “The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Pulling carts around the farm or serving as loyal pack animals, goats are naturally hardworking and make for friendly companions. This straightforward guide teaches you how to choose, house, feed, train, and breed the best goats for your space and needs. Whether you want to churn out fresh dairy products, harvest soft cashmere for knitting, or keep goats as playful pets, T ...more
Published April 16th 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Goat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Goat

Cade Salem
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It had really cool pictures and a good book for learning about Goats
Melanie
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The BEST beginning goat farmer book I have read! After having dairy goats for 5 years now, I have perhaps graduated beyond the beginner dairy goat books to know enough if they are good starter books or not. Sue Weaver covers it all in this book beginning with where goats originated and including breeds of goats I honestly haven’t even heard of before. She uses photo’s, drawings, and side notes to incorporate as much information in a book as possible.
She covers information on milk goats, fiber g
Nick
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely think it'd be fun to have a goat after reading this book. I still feel lacking in information though, like what a good shelter would look like or have, where do I buy food (some guesses here) and how much could I expect it to be (certainly easy to find out). Also gotta figure out which of my friends might be up for some goat-sitting when I'm out of town, which may be the biggest hurdle...
Fernleaf
A fantastic book for anyone thinking about (or finding themselves with) a new goat. This book is geared much more towards the pet goat and includes chapters not only on milking, kidding, health, and general keeping, but also on packing, fiber, and harness goats. A great easy-to-follow book that gives you the important information without any fuss and keeps it interesting with sidebars that include tidbits of mythology, history and trivia.
Danielle
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I don't own goats yet, but I plan to, and have read lots of books on the topic. This was the best. It was so thorough, well-explained, and made me feel closer to being somewhat ready for the challenge!! The author's love for goats shone through and made it an enjoyable read.
Bonnie Roman
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great first book to read about goats. Everything from the history of goats, to stories of goats in the military and goat fairy tales, to breed characteristics, to packgoats. Highly recommended for anyone just starting to think about getting goats.
Alisa Kester
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're wondering if you might want a backyard goat, this is a good place to start. Covers the basics on pretty much everything you might like to know.

And the verdict for me? No. I will not be getting goats.
A good resource.
hermione
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very informative with tons of tips that help me with my goats
Megan
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
So much great information!
Jennifer Shilley
AWESOME BOOK HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Katrina
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love goats, and this book was a great daydream fuel reading experience. Lots of sensible information, and some really cute photography.
Laura Cloutier
debbie carter
Jan 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • City Goats: The Goat Justice League's Guide to Backyard Goat Keeping
  • Backyard Farming On An Acre (More Or Less)
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, 4th Edition: Breeds, Care, Dairying, Marketing
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Homegrown Honey Bees: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping Your First Year, from Hiving to Honey Harvest
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century

“the danger factor isn’t enough, consider this: during rut, scent glands located near a buck’s horns (or where his horns used to be) secrete incredibly strong-scented, greasy musk. When a buck rubs his forehead on a person or object, he’s spreading his scent. Bucks become very vocal during rut; they’re pretty hard to ignore. They also spray thin streams of urine along their bellies, on their front legs and chests, and into their mouths and beards. Bucks also twist themselves and grasp their penises in their mouths. They sometimes masturbate on their bellies and front legs and then sniff” 0 likes