Start by marking “The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)

The Gilded Seal

(Tom Kirk #3)

Determined to avenge his friend's death, former art thief Tom Kirk abandons his enquiry into the theft of a priceless Da Vinci and begins his own investigation into the gruesome murder. The evidence points to an old rival with a sadistic streak whom Tom discovers is about to commit the most audacious heist in history.
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Gilded Seal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gilded Seal

Eadie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This is the 3rd book by James Twining about Tom Kirk, an art thief who is now a good guy helping to thwart the theft of the Mona Lisa. What secrets hide behind the most famous smile in the world? A master forger is killed, then a prominent attorney dies and drags FBI agent Jennifer Browne into the mix. Secrets go back to the time of Napoleon who was a power-mad emperor. Read this entertaining book for a very enlightening story about the Mona Lisa portrait.
Nicola
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay, historically good but geographically a bit confusing. Trying to be too much like Dan brown with the clipped chapters and twisty storyline. It really sped up at the end, and I struggled to take on board all of the info.
Zitong Ren
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller, 2019
The Gilded Seal is an thriller/mystery book on a former art thief named Tom Kirk and his comrades trying to find the truth of you’ve guessed it, the Mona Lisa. *groans* I’m not the kind of person that enjoys a crackling paced novel that takes the space of just a few days. I found that there was really little to no character development, nothing really changed and much of it in this book was incredibly predictable. Nothing was shocking or surprising.

There’s a bad guy who kills people and wants m
Cactuskid
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Too many characters to keep track of and way too complicated. About half way through it became more interesting and easier to follow what was going on. Twining goes very much into detail about art etc., that has to be a big interest of his personally. Anyway no more of Tom Kirk's stories.
Trisha Griffiths
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
THE GILDED SEAL
By James Twining

The most audacious heist in history is about to commence, and Tom Kirk is right in the middle of it! Whilst investigating the theft of a stolen Da Vinci -- The Madonna of the Yarnwinder, Reformed art thief Tom Kirk is confronted with the horrifying sight of a cat nailed to the wall where the painting once stood. He instantly recognises the sign as a greeting from his old enemy Milo. Then Tom finds out that a long time friend in Seville has been murdered. Whilst vis
Ken B
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read James Twining's previous two books, The Double Eagle and The Black Sun, I expected a little more from this offering. The historical mystery seems overshadowed by action sequences that are a cross between Jason Bourne, Mission Impossible and Wile E Coyote. He also introduces several shadowy underworld figures that are almost unbelievable and are certainly unrealistic.

If judging this book as a screenplay for an action movie, I would give it 3 stars. As an Dan Brown-esque historical, co
Nicky Thomas
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, amazing and unputdownable! Loved this book from start to finish. Mr Twining has to be praised on creating a unique crime solving character that is not ex military, policeman, private detective or secret service. Tom Kirk is perfect.

The story line in the Gilded Seal is so gripping, add that to the fast paced manner in which the book is written and I just could not put it down. I am not the fastest reader in the world, but this book was done and dusted within 5 days - that is extremely q
Jeremy
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reformed art thief Tom Kirk is called in to help investigate the theft of a Davinci painting in Scotland and finds himself drawn into a plot to steal the Mona Lisa by his old pal and now arch enemy Milo. But is it the real Mona Lisa and is it really Milo and what is the link with a small time art fraud being investigated by the FBI? I thought this was a great story with some terrific twists and turns. I love the premise that the Mona Lisa in the Louvre isn't the real one and the tour of the Pari ...more
Abimbola
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a great read,it's about the stealing of the monalisa painting by leonardo davinci.art thief tom kirk turn good link up with C.I.A. agent jennifer brownie to try to stop milo from accomplishing his goal.lot of deception and twist which takes them to the time of napoleon when he hung the monalisa painting ontop of his bed.he kept a secret by painting on top of it and his tripto egypt b/w 1798-1802.there is a race to try to find the real painting.the monalisa painting in the louvre museum in ...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Art enthusiasts, Thriller readers
Shelves: library-book
A novel that I had in my "to Read" shelf, I finally picked up at my local library with the next volume by James Twining. With the the reviews that I had read, I was looking forward to this book and was not disappointed. The plot was fast paced with a healthy amount of twists that keep you turning the next page. As mentioned on another review, since this is the third book with the same primary characters, Tom Kirk and Jennifer Browne, it may be helpful to read the previous novels but I found that ...more
Mark
Not bad but not particularly thrilling either. Took a long time to get through this as the action doesn't really kick in until the Louvre heist which takes place about half way through the book. From this point on, I was fairly hooked and read the rest of the book in a couple of days, but it had taken me 2 or 3 weeks to reach this point. I seem to remember his previous two books being more thrilling than this one and they didn't take as long to read - maybe its just me.
Marian
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marian by: a tthe library
As the new life of thief turned art detective Tom Kirk continues, more questions are raised about his father & others in hi life. Each of Twining's novels can be read as seperately or as part of a series.
Paula Howard
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Characters are developed with great story line. Tom Kirk, a reformed art thief, is now on the side of the law...... but sometimes revert to his skills for the greater good. Has several "reformed" sidekicks. Love this series by James Twining.
Kaylol
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book!
The only regret I have is reading this before reading the previous books in the Tom Kirk storyline.
What I loved most is the story - it's exciting, it's fast paced and it always leaves you guessing. I just couldn't stop reading.
Ioannis
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third one in the series. It was better than the second that was better than the first! A very fast story with likable characters. All the informations about art are true. Can't wait to read the fourth one.
Elaine
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting facts from this book:
Mona Lisa known as La Joconde in FRANCE.
1800 to 1804 Napoleon hung the painting in his bedroom in the Tuileries Palace.
Painting was stolen in 1911. Thief was arrested two years later when trying to sell it to the Uffizi.
Daniel Solen
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The characters were interesting, and the constant battle between the art thieves to con one another reminded me of the ocean 11 movies. The plot was great, and the balance between character development, action, planning the heist, etc. was just right. I plan on reading more books by this author.
Dugger
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. Good for a plane ride on a work trip.
Kerry
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Fast paced, plenty of twist and turns and probably my favourite so far.

It doesn't set the World on fire, but it's a good, easy, enjoyable read.
Emmanuelle Ide
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
James Twining is still good at writing adventurous, mystery, thriller books!
Debbie
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, ebook
Loved it! My favorite in his series.
David Watt
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great book with Tom Kirk and gang......This Time stealing the Mona Lisa to protect it with some great twists and action.
Great read when is the next book out if not already.....
Susan
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
French art, history, setting and thrilling action - all my favorites in one book!
David
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
started good...moving from the Uk to USA
Wendy Hamnett
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Was't bad, but found it hard to read
Chris Wright
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twinning doesn't disappoint with his third installment of the Tom Kirk series. The Mona Lisa and Napoleon, great adventure.
Bettynz
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Yup, you were right, it was a bit compulsive!! I think I finished it within one 24hr day! Fairly high body count, but on the whole a quite good read.
Stephan
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Better than the double eagle but still twaddle.
Bella
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little far-fetched in places, but an exciting adventure story full of interesting information.

• The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #5)
  • The Thieves Of Darkness (Michael St. Pierre, #3)
  • Sword of God (Payne & Jones, #3)
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Final Reckoning
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2)
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
James Twining was born in London but spent much of his childhood in Paris. After graduating from Christ Church, Oxford with a first-class degree in French Literature, he joined the investment bank UBS, working in their corporate finance division. In 1999 he left to set up his own company and in 2001 was named as one of the eight 'Best of Young British' entrepreneurs in The New Statesman. James liv ...more

Tom Kirk (4 books)
  • The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)