Start by marking “The Neurotourist: Postcards from the Edge of Brain Science” as Want to Read:
The Neurotourist: Postcards from the Edge of Brain Science

The Neurotourist: Postcards from the Edge of Brain Science

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Discover the true heart of humanity: the brain Your brain shapes your world, but you can also shape your brain. From the God helmet to the No Lie MRI, award-winning journalist Lone Frank embarks on an incredible adventure to the frontiers of neuroscience, revealing how today's top scientists are reinventing human nature, morality, happiness, health, and reality itself. Int ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Oneworld Publications (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Neurotourist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Neurotourist

Nikki
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lone Frank writes well and clearly, but the attitude is very much one of Science Is Greater Than Everything. I'm fairly sympathetic to those who oppose organised religions, but implications that anyone who believes in a god or gods are childish/stupid really get on my nerves. The idea seems to be that religion should be stamped out so that it doesn't impact on political policy, because saying that people's beliefs are between them and their god doesn't work.

Well it would work, if everyone agreed
Jim
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I did like it - a lot! However, as with all the books on this subject, there are still questions remaining. How ever well the research delves into the mechanics of the mind, there still remains the question of how the individual drives it! Having read Susan Greenfield, Ramachandran, Gazziniger, etc., all of the information presented is fascinating but limited. Knowing which areas of the brain does what, or how much neuroplasticity the young brain posses will never cease to amaze. But how it is d ...more
Marsha
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you have any interest at all in how your brain works, and like an author with a dry sense of humour, be sure to pick this up. From singing nuns and happy buddhists to evil capitalists, this book does an excellent job of revealing what kind of future our brains may lead us to.
Elizabeth Moffat
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I was quite excited when I saw this title at my local library as my favourite non-fiction books are usually science-based and I’m fascinated with the whole area of neuroscience which is constantly changing as we learn more about the mysterious goings-on of our brains. Looking at the contents page also provides some scope for excitement with intriguing titles such as “Finding God in the synapses: your own personal Jesus,” “Happiness is a cognitive workout,” and “Lies, damn lies – the prints are a ...more
Arlette Sjerp
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is really about what I wanted to get into scientific research for some time ago. I got back from that decision real quick but reading about neuroscience still makes me feel excited and curious. This work, as the title suggests (The Fifth Revolution), is revolutionary. It describes what brain research can do and will be able to do in the future, and how it will change our view on the world and, most importantly, on ourselves as individuals. Especially the conclusion is a very challengin ...more
Dale
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science
Lone Frank is a Danish journalist with a Ph.D. in neurobiology. She has written a survey of the latest research and findings in brain science, explaining how that research must affect the way we think about a wide range of topics from justice to aesthetics. She interviewed many of the leading researchers and wrote the book as a set of interconnected essays about that research. The book is fascinating and engaging, and has the right level of popularization and detail.
Catherine Davison
Without doubt the most intellectually stimulating, thought provoking and accessible book I've read in a long time. I loved reading this book and I recommend it to anyone who has ever pondered the questions such as free will, self determination, morality, ethical behaviour both individual & State. This is a terrific read!
Chris
This one is available in English translation, too. Recommended for anyone about to take the 23andme plunge.
Anders Høeg Nissen
Havde misset at den var fra 2011, så savnede nogle af de nyeste resultater (som Lone dog har beskrevet glimrende bla. i Weekendavisen). Men ellers var jeg vældig tilfreds. Superspændende område, og mange gode perspektiver.
Man skal nok lige vænne sig til den tilbagelænede tone og til formen, der består af en blanding af subjektive oplevelser, journalistiske overvejelser, og redigerede interviews med diverse forskere. Men jeg ku' li' det :-)
Nancy
Sep 13, 2012 added it
Lone Frank is a genius! She has written a book on neuroscience that anyone can understand. She not only covers the use of the advances in neuroscience that can aid those until to speak, but stretches it to the uses of being able to tell whether or not a person makes moral choices.

It is a real eye opener to where science has come and where it can go.
Erika
Feb 14, 2012 added it
By far the most fascinating chapter was on the brain and religion.
The writing style is very much like a newspaper feature article instead of a non-fiction book which was somewhat disconcerting.. I got the impression that the author's first language was not English due to some occasionally awkward phrasing - not a fault as such but occasionally hard to get one's head around.
Jiajia Liu
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the book, the information is in the area i have general interests in. However i was not thrilled by the writing style. the journalistic approach to science that makes the author sounds more like a paparazzi than scientific journalist.

Took me a long time to finish the book because at some point, the high school gossiping tone of this book became too hard to bear.
Martyn F
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Als je wilt weten hoe de toekomst er uit gaat zien, is dit boek een aanrader. Lone Frank beschrijft in heldere taal de stand van zaken omtrent hersenwetenschap. Ze laat daarbij ook goed zien wat de impact op onze samenleving kan zijn.

Ik vond het superinteressant en ben benieuwd wat de toekomst ons gaat bieden!
Emily
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is written in such an accessible style! For someone who studies physics full-time, the last thing I want when I settle down to read a book is to be confronted with another dry tome of yet more facts and figures. This book is nothing of the sort, with a wonderful human voice present throughout.
Jonas Riemslagh
Het boek geeft een goed overzicht van wat de neuro-wetenschap zal of kan brengen. De schrijfstijl is een grote zwakte. De auteur wringt zich te vaak als speler in de uiteenzetting. Ik kan me niet van het gevoel ontdoen dat dezelfde inhoud beter gebracht kon worden (zelfs al is niet iedereen een Malcolm Gladwell).
Patafyzak
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dette er en fascinerend bok som viser hva som skjer i de nye vitenskapene med hjernen som hovedfokus. Lone Frank skriver godt og med driv. En perfekt introduksjonsbok til hjerneforskning.
Matt
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should have tickled my brain more than it did. The author injects herself into the telling more than she should, and she seems really, really cranky.
Chris
Lone Frank tries on the god helmet so you don't have to.
Torben
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
Strangely barren though the knowledgestuff makes me want more. Tried twice to read it, but I need some love and passion, though. Gave up.
Henrik Lindberg
  • Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings
  • The Symbolic Species: The Co-evolution of Language and the Brain
  • Art Nouveau
  • A Natural History of Seeing: The Art and Science of Vision
Lone Frank is a Danish science journalist, author and PhD in neurobiology. Since 1998 she has written for newspapers. She is also a commentator and lecturer and has worked in radio and television; including organized and participated in science series on television, talking about controversial issues such as heritability of IQ and race and intelligence. She received her master's degree in biology ...more