Start by marking “Master of Devils” as Want to Read:
Master of Devils

Master of Devils

(Pathfinder Tales #5)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  347 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
On a mysterious errand for the Pathfinder Society, Count Varian Jeggare and his hellspawn bodyguard Radovan journey to the distant land of Tian Xia, on the far side of the world. When disaster forces him to take shelter in a warrior monastery, “Brother” Jeggare finds himself competing with the disciples of Dragon Temple as he unravels a royal mystery. Meanwhile, Radovan—tr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published July 27th 2011 by Paizo Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Master of Devils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of Devils

Joseph
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
In which Count Varian Jeggare and Radovan enter the 36th Chamber of Shaolin and/or meet the One-Armed Swordsman.

In this book, our heroes find themselves in Tian Xia, Golarion's Not-China, sent on a mission by the Pathfinder Society. Naturally, complications ensue ... As in the first book (Prince of Wolves), the story is told in alternating first-person chapters switching between the perspectives of Radovan and the Count. (And another narrator whose identity I'd just as soon not disclose here.)
Gdaybloke
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Fantasy, Pathfinder, Hong Kong Cinema
Recommended to Gdaybloke by: Dave Gross
Shelves: pathfinder
(Crossposted from Lost Hemisphere)

It’s been awhile since I wrote my last review of one of Dave Gross’ novels; life being what it is, I’ve only just recently been able to finish Master Of Devils, the second of Dave’s Pathfinder novels, but given that I was a little… verbose in my review of Prince Of Wolves, I thought it only fair that I ramble for a bit on Master as well. Again, courtesy warning, I make no promises about spoilers.

As a quick recap of my thoughts from the previous review:
• Dave Gro
Andrew
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. It took me a while to read and I think it was because I read it slower to absorb all that was truly going on. Some great twists that I didn't expect and a climactic finish that I couldn't put down.
Joel Flank
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dave Gross hit another home run with Master of Devils. This next full length novel adventure of Radovan and Count Jeggare takes things to a whole new level. The book sends them to another continent, where they must not only deal with the challenges before them, but with an entirely different culture, deriving from a very different fantasy tradition than the western fantasy roots that they are used to.

This is true not only for them, but for most readers (myself included. While I know some of the
Joseph Zurat
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Ok, this book was awesome. It really hit all the right notes for me. The novel is split into three stories from the very beginning that all tie together in the end. I loved each of the stories.

Alright, so we have the same characters from the first book, and that is great because those two really had strong voices and were good foils to one another, but- Wait, they are separated again?! (Never split the party!) It isn't so bad, though.

One third of the book is basically a love letter to kung-fu ac
Carlos Flores
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great story I just read. As expected akd keeping in with the tradition pf the previous book, our heroes are split apart by the action packed first chapter. Though at the moment I didn't though of Arnisant, the newest party member, as part of the heroes; the dog quickly became the most beloved narrators in the book. While Radovan and Varian established the story and set the bases for what the ending would convey into, the canine hero took part in the recruitment of an unlikely arrangement ...more
Seth
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pathfinder
A great follow up to Prince of Wolves. Again the story is engaging and the characters fun to read. It was hard to put it down. I will admit though that the ending was a bit lacking, and again the heroes seem to gain only a partial victory. I also was suprised that story seemed to fallow the previouses plot device of seperating the characters with them thinking each other is dead.

In addition to the Count and Radovan, Arnestant the dog also gets to narorate a few chapters. At first it is comical,
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
This novel was sort of amazing. First of all, the only other fantasy novel I've read based on medieval China has been "Under Heaven" by my very beloved Guy Gavriel Kay. I've always wondered why RPG based novels seem to always take place in a fantacised medieval Europe and completely ignore anything even remotely different or oriental. So, the setting was a welcomed surprise for me. Once more, Dave Gross surpassed himself by adding all these delightful, colorful details which made the world appea ...more
Peter
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
In this book Pathfinder Varian Jeggare, Radovan and their dog Arnisant travel to Tian xia to witness a mystical event, but due to all kinds off happenings, they all end up on one side of that event.
this story feels like a typical eastern movie with travelling heroes fighting against eachother to prove they are the best, with monktraining in a monastary, with all kinds of ghosts, kami, oni and other eastern legends.

The book is ok, but it isn't as gripping as the first pathfinder book Dave gross
Nicole Luiken
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Half-elf noble Jeggare and his hellspawn bodyguard Radovan go to fantasy China. Book two in the series, but can definitely stand alone. Lots of cool kung fu fighting combined with magic--even purchasing clothes occasions a fight scene. I especially loved that Arnisant the wolfhound got his own plotline. Some interesting hints about Radovan's infernal nature that I hope we'll find out more of in the next book.
Mphecker
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the first Jeggare and Radovan novel, and while I enjoyed this one, it didn't really entertain me as much as Prince of Wolves. I think that I was thrown off by the names of the characters from Tien, like Judge Fang. The ending was satisfying, at least, and I hope Gross writes more novels with these two characters (three, counting Arnisant).
Lire
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Probably my favorite of the Pathfinder books so far.
Dan
May 20, 2013 added it
A very cool and surprising ending...
Brandon
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Another decent story set in the Pathfinder world.
Steve
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reads like a wuxia film complete with wire-fu. Borrows elements from both Chinese and Japanese mythology, a refreshing change from Euro-centric fantasy. Somewhat lacking in character development.
Eric
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Clever book, and only slightly predictable.

I did enjoy the chapters that were from an unexpected POV. Can't remember reading something like that before.
Shannon Clark
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book but frustrating in many places as it lost much of the joy of the other books featuring this cast of characters. And if you haven’t read other stories with these characters you would be even more lost. Also feels like it is a transitional novel setting things up for future stories. Still enjoyable but not great.
Chris Jackson
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: RPG Fiction fans
Master of Devils, by Dave Gross, long time successful game designer and author of Pathfinder Tales novels, has come up with another winner. This tale follows his two old favorite characters, Count Varian Jeggare and his devoted, if somewhat acerbic and downright inflammatory (especially when he’s on fire) bodyguard, Radovan in a romp through the Pathfinder world of Golarion’s far-eastern flavored realm of Tian Xia.
The action and intrigue never stop in this story. From the opening scene—You gotta
Jukka Särkijärvi
(Originally posted at http://nitessine.wordpress.com/2011/1...)

I got around to reading another Pathfinder novel. Dave Gross’s Master of Devils is a standalone sequel to Prince of Wolves, and like that novel ties in thematically with the Carrion Crown Adventure Path, so does this with the new Jade Regent Adventure Path, though the connections are a bit more tenuous. Whereas Carrion Crown and Prince of Wolves both take place in the same principality, Master of Devils and Jade Regent are only on th
Matthew
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing installment in the Radovan and Count Jeggare body of work!

(paraphrasing)

"I thought you knew these people?"
"I do. Thats why i dont trust them."

we are off the the eastern lands of Tien Xia, and a world of asian mysteries. Mr. Gross wonderfully writes in a way where the characters' points of view slowly are saturated with the culture, so things that they seem as odd or impossible (like ki powers, massive leaps, kung fu movie kind of stuff) seem bizarre at first, but as they are assi
Riki
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to read a Chinese-style fantasy story with a mix of the usual D&D/medieval fantasy story, this is by far the best book out there.

I grew up on Chinese kung fu movies, and I've pretty much stayed away from them now that I'm older. I'm not sure what it is, but the newer movies lacked the heart that the older movies have, but of course it could be just because I'm looking at those old movies with fond memories. Whatever the case may be, whenever I try the new movies, they're ju
Amber
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Dave Gross's Radovan and Jeggare make a clever, exciting, and above all endearing team. Splitting the pair up in Master of Devils gives us twice as much action and allows us to explore even more of Tian Xia, the fantastical Far East of Golarion. If you've read the first novel featuring these heroes, Prince of Wolves, you'll be familiar with the character but not the setting. And what a setting it is.

Dave Gross's love for wuxia movies shines through in this novel. His commitment to (but not relia
Joe Slucher
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a Pathfinder Tales novel so if you're reading it you are likely a Pathfinder player looking to get more immersed in the game's setting. In that regard I give it four stars although if I was approaching it as a regular reader I might rate it lower. Typical of most of the Pathfinder novels, the writing steers away from exploring characters' inner thoughts or deep love stories and instead focuses on actions and descriptions. I really enjoy that style in a short novel that I can read in a we ...more
Bram Slaats
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
We already arrived at the fifth installment of the pathfinder tales. This is also the second installment in the Jeggare and Radovan novels. I must say that this story threw me for a loop in the beginning.

I had a bit trouble getting the entire back story about the mission and why they were there. Having said that I liked how the story turned out. Yes the first two story arcs were a bit predictable and yes most of us knew what to expect in the second to last chapter. However I liked how Jeggare d
Katrina
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the plot at the end, but I don't think it was written very well. (Slight spoilers below)

It starts the same as the 1st one w/the 2 characters being separated and at least one believing the other dead. If you like fight scenes you'll enjoy the book as that's what 2/3 of it is. Otherwise not much plot development until the end when everything happens at once; I wish some things happened sooner as they would've had more impact. Being told from 3 POVs hurts the flow as well, though I certainl
Ned Leffingwell
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, library
I was nervous when I started this book as it is written in the first person. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the chapters switch between the viewpoint of three characters, and one of them is a dog. The book is set in the world of the Pathfinder role playing game. This particular tale takes place in a fantasy version of China. There is a lot of kung fu and animal spirits. I enjoyed the book mainly because it did not take itself too seriously. Recommended for Pathfinder GMs who want in ...more
John
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very creative and likable characters. The plot is solid as well. I have a couple of things that prevent a 5 star rating. First, the rehashing of the separation of the two main characters even though it is necessary for the plot. Most annoying, however, is the silliness of the kami and Arnisant. That part could have been totally deleted with no affect on the book. There a still a couple of loose ends regarding minor characters in the end that bothered me, too. Overall still a good read.
Pastor2112
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this Pathfinder Tale featuring Count Varian Jeggare and his hellspawn bodyguard Radovan. They are very much like a fantasy version of Sherlock Holmes and Watson. This was a fast-paced, nicely-told tale. The protaganists are split for most of the book but their separate tales come together nicely in the final act. One of the most enjoyable features was reading the chapters from the perspective of Arnisant, their dog companion.
Sunknight
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read.Done in alternating viewpoints from three perspectives, it is a tale based on good old fashion eastern fantasy. I especially liked the dog's point of view which was more fantastical.Ive enjoyed all of David Gross' books with these characters in the Pathfinder setting. I'm an avid player and DM of the game and find these novels help to flesh out the world my fellow players and I are creating in our game time.
Seth
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun book and makes great use of Pathfinder's campaign setting. It reads like an old cheap martial arts movie and was very entertaining. Predictable at times, but worth it if you're fan of fantasy or enjoy the Pathfinder Role-Playing Game.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Nightglass
  • Pirate's Honor
  • Song of the Serpent
  • The Crusader Road
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Bloodbound
  • Skinwalkers
  • The Wizard's Mask
  • Pathfinder Campaign Setting:  The Inner Sea World Guide
Dave Gross is the author of ten novels, notably the adventures of Radovan and the Count, including Prince of Wolves, Master of Devils, Queen of Thorns, and King of Chaos. Formerly the editor of such magazines as Dragon, Star Wars Insider, and Amazing Stories, Dave has also written novels for the Forgotten Realms and Iron Kingdoms settings. For more tales of Radovan and the Count, including free sh ...more

Pathfinder Tales (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Prince of Wolves
  • Song of the Serpent
  • City of the Fallen Sky
  • Nightglass
  • Blood of the City
  • Queen of Thorns (Pathfinder Tales #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)